We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
- Get this card if… you love Mercedes-Benz and plan on buying or leasing a new vehicle soon.
- Pick something else if… you don’t drive or intend to drive a Mercedes-Benz. Look at this Amex card instead: (link to other finder report)
- Recommended credit range: 740 – 850
|Product Name||The Mercedes-Benz Credit Card from American Express|
|Intro APR for Balance Transfer||16.49% Intro APR for 60 days of account opening (with whichever is greater, $5 or 3% balance transfer fee)|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||16.49% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||16.49% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.49% variable|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|2.7% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Excellent (740+)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Over The Credit Line Fee||$0|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater|
|Rewards Program||American Express Rewards|
|Bonus Points on Sign-up||10,000|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (VISA/MC)||5|
Do you see yourself driving a Mercedes-Benz someday? The car company and American Express have partnered up to offer a credit card designed with you in mind.
This card offers premium rewards that could expand your current ownership experience or help you acquire a new Mercedes.
Unlike other cobranded cards, the Mercedes-Benz card’s points can also be used toward travel and shopping.
This is a premier card for Mercedes Benz enthusiasts who still want all the standard benefits that come with Amex. In addition to generous Mercedes-themed rebates, you can enjoy a welcome bonus, a point rebate system and the perks of premium membership.
- 0% intro APR for 6 months. After the intro period, the APR reverts to a variable rate (currently 16.49% variable).
- Many perks for the Mercedes-Benz enthusiast. This includes 5x Membership Rewards points on eligible Mercedes-Benz purchases, a $500 annual certificate toward a new Mercedes-Benz and up to 1,000 miles waived at the end of your lease through Mercedes-Benz Financial Services.
You’ll also like …
- $50 certificate at card renewal, good toward Mercedes-Benz accessories.
- 3x points for gas purchases.
- 2x points at restaurants.
- Return protection, roadside assistance hotline and express shipping through third parties.
What to watch out for
Take care with American Express’ aggressive credit offerings. While the card is a good deal if used responsibly, it comes with severe penalties and interest rates for late or returned payments.
- Annual fee. You’ll pay $95 p.a. a year to use this card.
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could saddle you with a penalty APR as high as 29.99%. You could also pay late and returned-payment fees as high as $38.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Mercedes-Benz Credit Card by American Express, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A legal resident of the US.
You’ll need to submit personal and financial information that includes:
- Your full name and personal contact information.
- Proof of stable employment.
- Your date of birth and Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the Mercedes-Benz Credit Card by American Express if you apply with an excellent credit score of 740 or higher. The average approved credit score is 715.
Compare other American Express credit cards
How to apply for the card
1. Locate the Mercedes-Benz Credit Card on the American Express website and click Apply Now.
2. Complete the application and click Continue.
3. Agree to the terms by clicking Agree & Submit Application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional credit approval is automated on the website, you may get a decision on your application within 60 seconds.
I got the card. Now what?
- Making payments. Register your account with American Express to pay your balance online.
- Setting up automatic payments. Never miss another payment again by enrolling in autopay.
- Avoiding interest payments. At the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoiding fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. According to J.D. Power, cardholders give American Express high marks in customer service. Contact them my using the online chat or call at 800-528-4800.
The The Mercedes-Benz Credit Card from American Express is a versatile branded cards offering dealership benefits alongside dining, shopping and travel rewards.
If you’re not a loyal Mercedes-Benz customer, you may want to look into other cards.