This no-fee card is a smart choice for frequent travelers who want simple travel rewards.
We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
- Get this card if… you travel frequently or want the flexibility to carry balances with interest.
- Pick something else if… you’re not a regular traveler.
- Recommended good to excellent credit range of 705 to 850.
|Product Name||Blue Sky from American Express® Card|
|Intro APR for Balance Transfer||18.4921.4923.49% Intro APR for within 60 days of account opening (with whichever is greater, $5 or 3% balance transfer fee)|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||18.49%, 21.49% or 23.49% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||18.49%, 21.49% or 23.49% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.49% variable|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 25 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|2.7% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Good (700-739)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater|
|Rewards Program||American Express Rewards|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (VISA/MC)||1|
If you’re a frequent traveler who’s looking for a simple rewards card to reflect that, American Express may have designed Blue Sky for you.
Every dollar you spend on Blue Sky accrues 1 point that can be used toward travel purchases. 7,500 points equals about $100 in credit for travel purchases.
The card also comes with the option of carrying balances for longer than a month, although you’ll pay interest on the amount you carry.
This no-fee card is a smart choice for frequent travelers who want a simple travel rewards structure.
- No annual fee. You’ll pay $0 p.a. each year, which can be rare for a rewards card.
- Simple travel rewards. Get 1 point for every dollar spent anywhere.
- Payment flexibility. Carry a balance with interest or pay in full each month.
You’ll also like …
- Travel protection. The card comes with car rental loss and damage insurance, a global assist hotline and travel accident insurance.
What to watch out for
You may be able to find more generous travel perks with other cards, especially if you’re willing to pay an annual fee.
- Limited travel rewards. Other travel cards can offer stronger rewards than 1 point per dollar.
- High redemption minimum. You’ll need to spend $7,500 to get a mere $100 in travel credit.
- High foreign transaction fee. For a travel card, the 2.7% on overseas use is steep.
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could saddle you with a penalty APR as high as 29.99%. You could also pay late and returned-payment fees as high as $38.00.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for Blue Sky Card from American Express, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A citizen or legal resident of the U.S.
- You’ll need to submit personal and financial information that includes:
- Your full name and personal contact information.
- Proof of stable employment.
- Your date of birth and Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the Blue Sky Card by American Express if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 705 or higher.
Compare other American Express credit cards
How to apply for the card
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
1. Locate the Blue Sky Card on the American Express website and click Apply Now.
2. Complete the application and click Continue.
3. Agree to the terms by clicking Agree & Submit Application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional credit approval is automated on the website, you may get a decision on your application within 60 seconds.
I got the card — now what?
- Making payments. Register your online account with American Express to pay your balance online.
- Setting up automatic payments. Never miss another payment again by enrolling in autopay.
- Avoiding interest payments. At the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoiding fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. According to J.D. Power, cardholders give American Express high marks in customer service. Call or email for assistance.
The Blue Sky Card from American Express offers users simple travel rewards and payment flexibility for no annual fee.
But if you don’t travel a lot or want more robust rewards for your hard-spent travel, you may want to look into cards that could better suit your needs.