With no annual fee and rewards for spending on groceries, the Amex EveryDay card is a good pick.
- Get this card if… you want rewards for grocery spending and don’t want an annual fee.
- Pick something else if…you want rewards for spending on gas or want cash back.
The Amex EveryDay is a decent pick if you’re looking for a rewards boost on spending on groceries. It’s not as powerful as its sibling, the Amex EveryDay Preferred, but you won’t have to worry about an annual fee.
|Product Name||Amex EveryDay® Credit Card|
|Intro APR for Balance Transfer||0% Intro APR for first 12 months (with whichever is greater, $5 or 3% balance transfer fee)|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||14.24% to 24.24% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||14.24% to 24.24% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.49% variable|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 25 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|2.7% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Fair (660-699)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater|
|Rewards Program||American Express Rewards|
|Bonus Points on Sign-up||10,000|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (VISA/MC)||2|
Amex EveryDay Credit Card: The Basics
Several American Express cards offer increased rewards for grocery and gas spending. The Amex EveryDay card offers 2x points only on grocery purchases. If you’re a family that spends a lot on groceries and gas, you will probably get more out of the Amex EveryDay Preferred. This card has a $0 p.a. annual fee, but it gives 2x points on groceries and 1x points on gas.
If you want to earn Membership Rewards points without the hassle of an annual fee, however, the Amex EveryDay is a decent choice. Like the Preferred, it offers perks like a signup bonus, 0% intro APR for the first 12 months and double points for bookings at American Express Travel. Plus, just use your card 20 times in a billing cycle and get 20% more points.
- SIGNUP BONUS: More Membership Rewards points. Earn 10,000 Membership Rewards points if you spend $1,000 in the first three months.
- INTRO APR: A solid 0% APR period. 0% purchase APR for the first 12 months. balance transfer APR for the first 12 months (on balance transfers made within the first 60 days).
- POINTS: More points on groceries. 2x points at US supermarkets. (up to $6,000 in purchases each calendar year, then 1x points) 2x points when you book through American Express Travel. 1x points on other eligible purchases.
- More points the more you use your card. If you use your card at least 20 times in a billing cycle, you’ll receive 20% more points.
- Transfer points. Transfer your Membership Rewards points to eligible frequent traveler programs.
You’ll also like…
- Use Membership Rewards points for some charges. For some types of spending, such as retail, dining and entertainment, you can pay for card charges with Membership Rewards points.
- Redeem Membership Rewards points. You can use your Membership Rewards points for gift cards, entertainment, merchandise, Ticketmaster purchases and more.
- Travel protection. You’ll have access to the American Express Global Assist Hotline and Roadside Assistance Hotline, which you can use if you find yourself in a pinch on vacation. Also, get complimentary car rental and travel accident insurance.
- Purchase benefits. Get free two-day shipping at ShopRunner, as well as extended warranties and purchase protection on eligible items.
What to watch out for
- Limited time for balance transfers. To take advantage of the APR for balance transfers, you need to make transfers within the first 60 days.
- Not as widely accepted overseas. Because the Amex EveryDay is an American Express card, you might not have as many opportunities to use it overseas as you would with a Visa or Mastercard. It also has a foreign transaction fee.
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could saddle you with fees as high as $38.
Consider other cards if…
- You want cash back. Consider a card like the Citi Double Cash, which gives you unlimited 2% cash back on everything you buy. Also, consider the Blue Cash Card, the Blue Cash Everyday and the Blue Cash Preferred for better cash back on gas and groceries.
- You want Membership Rewards for gas spending. Consider the Amex EveryDay Preferred, which gives 2x points at US gas stations.
Compare other American Express credit cards
What to know before you apply
To apply for the Amex EveryDay, you must be:
- At least 18 years old
- A US resident
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the Amex EveryDay if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
How to apply for the card
1. On the American Express website, click the Apply Now button.
2. Fill out the application form. Provide information like your Social Security number, home address, income source and total annual income.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional credit card approval is automated on the website, you can get a decision on your application within 60 seconds.
I got the card. Now what?
- Making payments. Register an account at the American Express website to pay your balance online. You can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoiding fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38.
- Customer service. Help documents aren’t easily accessible on the American Express website, but you can call 1-800-528-4800 for customer service. According to market research company J.D. Power, cardholders give American Express high marks in customer interaction.
Pick the Amex EveryDay Credit Card if you want a simple rewards structure and a 0% intro APR.