We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
- Get this card if… you want quick access to your paycheck or want to reload your card through NetSpend Reload locations.
- Pick something else if…you don’t want to pay a monthly fee.
|Product Name||PayPal Prepaid MasterCard®|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (MC)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|2.5% of transaction value|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
If you use PayPal, you can swipe this prepaid card to eat, drink or shop anywhere Mastercard is accepted. It costs $4.95 to buy the PayPal Prepaid Mastercard, but you can avoid this fee by buying the card online.
The PayPal Prepaid Mastercard can be most useful if:
- You’re looking to access your paycheck or government benefits faster. Direct deposits through a bank can take up to two days. Speed up direct deposits directly to your PayPal Prepaid Mastercard.
- You want easy reloading. Load funds online from your PayPal account or at more than 130,000 NetSpend Reload Network locations in the United States.
To use the card, you’ll pay a Plan Fee of $4.95 a month.
If you’re looking for a fee-free card, consider the PayPal Business Debit Mastercard that draws from your PayPal balance. You can apply for it if you have a PayPal Business account or received at least $500 in your personal PayPal account in the last 12 months.
Another way to avoid the $5 feeTo access your paycheck faster, consider the free Earnin app (formerly called Activehours). Earnin lets you upload your timesheet and receive up to $100 in your bank account quickly — with few catches.
|Card purchase fee||$4.95 in stores; $0 if purchased online|
|Plan fee||$4.95 a month|
|Signature purchase transaction fee||Included in plan|
|PIN purchase transaction fee||Included in plan|
|Over-the-counter cash withdrawal fee (financial institution)||$2.50|
|Over-the-counter cash withdrawal fee (NetSpend Reload Network)||Varies by location|
|ATM cash withdrawal fee (domestic and international)||$1.95|
|ATM transaction decline fee (domestic and international)||$1|
View a full list of fees in the PayPal Prepaid Mastercard’s terms and conditions.
- Faster access to deposits. When you deposit your paycheck or government benefits directly to your card, you can access the funds up to two days faster than direct deposit to a bank account.
- No purchase fee if you order the card online. You’ll pay $4.95 to buy this card in person or over the phone.
You’ll also like …
- PayPal Prepaid mobile app. Check your account balance, find reload locations and more from your smartphone.
- Open a savings account. Open a savings account through the Bancorp Bank, and earn up to 5% APY on balances of up to $1,000.
- Refer a friend. If you refer a new user who funds their card with at least $10, you and that person each receive $5.
- Cash back. Earn cash back rewards at some merchants for using your PayPal Prepaid Mastercard.
What to watch out for
- Not a credit card. This Mastercard is a prepaid card. You’ll need to load money to the card before using it.
- Monthly fee. To use the card, you’ll pay a Plan Fee of $4.95 a month.
What should I know before I apply?
If you live in Vermont, you’re ineligible for the PayPal Prepaid Mastercard.
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a prepaid card.
Information you’ll need
- Full name and contact information
- Home address
How to apply for the PayPal Prepaid Mastercard
1. Visit the PayPal Prepaid Mastercard website and click Get Your Card.
2. Complete the application with information like your name, address and contact information. Then click Get Your Card to submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
You’ll typically receive a decision on your application right away. If approved, you’re mailed the card within 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Avoid fees. Check this card’s fee table to understand fees you might encounter using it.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact customer support at 866-753-6440.
The PayPal Prepaid Mastercard may be a good choice if you want direct deposit options or are looking to reload your card at NetSpend locations.
Given its $4.95 monthly fee, however, you may be better off with a debit card.