New Zealand flights from $37 each way
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
What’s open in Auckland right now?
Restaurants, stores, activities, tourist attractions and more.
Heading out in Auckland soon and wondering what exactly has reopened for you to experience?
We’ve got the lowdown so you can dine, shop and experience the city without having to worry that it’s closed for the season or the times.
Note, the below is accurate as of 2 March 2021. Due to the evolving nature of the situation, the information provided can change at any time. Contact the venue before visiting to confirm. Social distancing and maintaining good hygiene still apply.
What restrictions are in place for Auckland residents?
As of 28 February 2021, Auckland has been bumped up to Alert Level 3. This is the nation’s second highest alert level. Restrictions involved with this level are:
- Stay at home unless you need to leave for essential reasons such as work, school, exercise or grocery shopping. Students are being encouraged to learn from home, if possible.
- You must stay within your home bubble, although you may connect with close family, whānau, caregivers and isolated people.
- Physical distancing of two metres is required in public or one metre in controlled environments such as the workplace.
- Local travel is permitted for essential reasons only. Regional travel is heavily restricted.
- Masks are required on public transport and in rideshare and taxis and on flights, unless you’re exempt.
- Gatherings of 10 are permitted for weddings and funerals only.
- Public venues, including cinemas, gyms and museums must close.
- If you are experiencing any cold or flu symptoms you should get tested for COVID-19 and remain home until a negative result is given.
- All businesses and services must use the NZ COVID Tracer app to keep a record of their patrons.
- Good hygiene practices, including sanitising your hands and coughing or sneezing into your elbow are encouraged.
What’s open in Auckland?
Are attractions open in Auckland?
No. All public venues, including tourist attractions are currently closed.
Are trails, beaches and parks open in Auckland?
Yes, walking trails, beaches and parks are open in Auckland for the purposes of exercise.
When you’re out you must maintain a physical distance of two metres from anyone who isn’t part of your bubble and you must stay within your local area.
It’s also encouraged that you wear a face mask when exercising.
Are shopping centres, supermarkets and grocery stores open?
All supermarkets, grocery stores and other essential shops are open. While shopping you should maintain social distancing and you’re encouraged to wear a mask.
You may also be asked to sign in to the NZ COVID Tracer app and sanitise your hands on arrival.
Are hotels open in Auckland?
Hotels throughout the city can remain open although residents aren’t encouraged to use them if they have a residence that they can stay in.
Do I need to pre-book to visit dining venues and attractions?
As all public venues are closed you will not be able to pre-book restaurants or attractions. You can order takeaway or delivery from dining venues but there is no in-house dining.
Are restaurants, cafes and bars open in Auckland?
All dining venues are open for takeaway, delivery or drive-through only. You may not dine on the premises at this time.
What’s closed in Auckland?
As Auckland is in Alert Level 3, non-essential services have closed. This includes libraries, museums, cinemas, food courts, pools, playgrounds and markets.
Events will also have to be postponed at Alert Level 3, except for weddings and funerals which may go ahead though at a reduced gathering limit of 10 people.
See the latest Auckland deals and promo codes
More guides on Finder
The best places to live in Australia
Choosing where to live when you move to Australia is a crucial decision. We’ve put together this handy guide to living in Australia’s capital cities to help you make the right choice.
New Zealand travel restrictions: Where you can go in July 2021
Find out everything you need to know to explore your own backyard in New Zealand.
What’s open in Hamilton right now?
What’s open (and what’s not) in the city of Hamilton and the current restrictions in the region.
What’s open in Dunedin right now?
Whether you’re eating out or checking out the local attractions, here’s what’s open in Dunedin to keep you entertained.
What’s open in Wellington right now?
What you can get up to in Wellington now that restrictions have eased and restaurants, activities and shops are reopening.
What’s open in Christchurch right now?
Restaurants, shops, attractions and events have all reopened in Christchurch, though things are a little different from before. Here are the details.
20+ things to do on Valentine’s Day in Auckland
Plan a day your partner won’t forget with our ideas on what to do this Valentine’s Day in Auckland.
What to do on Waitangi Day in Auckland in 2021
There’s no better time than Waitangi Day to be proud to be a Kiwi. Make sure to get together with family or friends and enjoy one of the many fun events taking place in Auckland.
8 romantic hotels in Auckland that will make your getaway
Planning a romantic getaway? These eight romantic hotels in and around Auckland have just what you need for some special alone time with your partner.