Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Which online stores accept PayPal?
One of the Internet's most popular and convenient ways to pay for online shopping.
If you’re a regular online shopper, then chances are you’ve used PayPal. It’s a quick and easy way to send and receive money using an email address and your credit card, debit card or bank account. Accepted around the world, people use PayPal to pay for goods in a variety of currencies.
But which stores actually accept PayPal as a payment method? Keep scrolling to find out.
Top stores that accept PayPal
|Retailer||What can you buy||Go to store|
|Adairs||Bed linen & homewares||Shop|
|Adventure Kings||Outdoor gear||Shop|
|Baby Bunting||Baby gear||Shop|
|Better World Books||Books||Shop|
|Bras N Things||Lingerie & loungewear||Shop|
|Cotton On||Fashion, homewares, stationery||Shop|
|Eco Warehouse||Eco-friendly homewares & gifts||Shop|
|Etsy||Handmade & unique items||Shop|
|Ezibuy||Fashion & homewares||Shop|
|HealthPost||Health & beauty||Shop|
|Johnny Bigg||Men’s fashion||Shop|
|Lovehoney||Adult toys & lingerie||Shop|
|Love My Makeup||Beauty|
|Marks & Spencer||Department store||Shop|
|Mighty Ape||Tech, homewares, toys + more||Shop|
|NZGameShop||Games & books||Shop|
|sass & bide||Fashion||Shop|
|Shaver Shop||Personal grooming||Shop|
|The Athlete's Foot||Footwear||Shop|
|Urban Sales||Furniture & homewares||Shop|
|Wild Secrets||Adult toys & lingerie||Shop|
|YesStyle||Fashion & beauty||Shop|
What is PayPal?
PayPal is an online payment system, originally created as an electronic alternative to checks and money orders in 1999. Today, the platform boasts more than 240 million active users in 190 countries and is accepted by millions of businesses around the world.
It operates as a payment processor for many online retailers, offering perks like one-click transactions and password memory to customers who shop online. The platform even provides valuable security options like buyer’s protection.
How does PayPal work?
PayPal acts as a middleman for payments between two parties with registered accounts. It’s fast and easy to send payments to an individual or retailer without sharing personal details or banking information.
- If you want to send money to an individual, all you need is the email address of the person you’re sending money to.
- If you’re using PayPal to make a purchase online, click the PayPal button at checkout and log in to your account to quickly complete your order.
Which currencies does PayPal support?
You can use your PayPal account to seamlessly complete purchases between multiple currencies. Compatible currencies include:
- Australian dollar (AUD)
- Brazilian real* (BRL)
- Canadian dollar (CAD)
- Czech koruna (CZK)
- Danish krone (DKK)
- Euro (EUR)
- Hong Kong dollar (HKD)
- Hungarian forint** (HUF)
- Israeli new sheqel (ILS)
- Japanese yen** (JPY)
- Malaysian ringgit* (MYR)
- Mexican peso (MXN)
- Norwegian krone (NOK)
- New Zealand dollar (NZD)
- Philippine peso (PHP)
- Polish zloty (PLN)
- Pound sterling (GBP)
- Singapore dollar (SGD)
- Swedish krona (SEK)
- Swiss franc (CHF)
- Taiwan new Dollar** (TWD)
- Thai baht (THB)
- US dollar (USD)
*This currency is only supported as a payment currency and a currency balance for in-country PayPal accounts.
**This currency does not support decimal amounts.
Does PayPal accept cryptocurrency?
Yes! You can use PayPal’s Checkout with Crypto feature, which allows you to convert cryptocurrency holdings to fiat currency at checkout, with no additional transactional fees. The option will appear in your PayPal wallet, if you have enough funds to cover the purchase.
The platform also allows you to buy, hold and sell cryptocurrency with the same PayPal protections.
Is PayPal safe?
PayPal is generally a safe place to send and receive money. PayPal automatically encrypts confidential information sent to or from your computer using industry-standard SSL encryption. Security experts still recommend taking measures to protect your account, like enabling two-factor authentication and using a unique and secure password.
Making a purchase using PayPal is arguably safer than placing your order directly through the merchant, since the recipient never has access to your financial information.
You can feel extra secure shopping with PayPal thanks to its online purchase protection program. If an item you ordered never arrives or isn’t what you expected, PayPal arranges for your money to be refunded. It can even cover the cost of return shipping. This should give you some extra peace of mind when shopping online.
Is there a fee for using PayPal?
It’s free to create a PayPal account and making a purchase in New Zealand is usually free. However, there are a few fees you may encounter depending on how you use the platform:
- Personal payments. It’s free to send or receive domestic personal payments from an existing balance and bank account. All other funding sources incur a 3.4% + fixed fee. For international payments, a $6.99 fee is applied for existing balance and bank account transactions, with an added 3.4% + fixed fee for other funding sources.
- Seller fees. If you use PayPal to accept payments for goods or services sold in New Zealand, you’ll be charged a fee of 3.4% of the transaction amount plus $0.45 per transaction. That percentage changes to 4.4% if you are selling overseas plus a fixed fee based on the currency received will also apply.
- Currency conversion fees. If you make a purchase from an overseas retailer, a small currency conversion fee may apply.
How do I create a PayPal account?
You can create a PayPal account on your desktop or mobile.
Creating an account on your computer
1. Visit the PayPal site to get started. Select Sign Up in the right-hand corner.
2. Choose between a personal account and a business account. Unless you plan to accept payments for your business through PayPal, you should choose a personal account. But don’t worry, you can always change your mind later.
3. Fill in your personal information and follow the prompts to finish signing up.
Creating an account on your phone
1. To begin, download the PayPal app. The PayPal app is available for both iOS and Android.
2. Once the PayPal app has downloaded, open it. Tap Sign Up on the bottom right-hand corner to get started.
3. Enter your personal information and follow directions to complete sign up.
Why can’t I create an account?
Make sure you’re using your legal first and last name when you sign up — no pseudonyms allowed. If you’re still having trouble signing up, contact PayPal directly for assistance.
How do you pay through PayPal using a credit card?
When you create your PayPal account, you’re given the option to link your credit and debit cards to your account. You can also link your bank accounts directly to avoid paying additional fees. When you transfer money or make a payment, choose to pay from one of your cards or through your bank account.
What are PayPal coupons?
Like other online stores, PayPal occasionally offers extra savings through coupons. You’ll also find signup deals for new customers — you could save $10 or more off your first purchase through PayPal by using a PayPal promo code.
Why should I choose PayPal?
- Highly secure. Industry-standard protective technology and buyer protection help you shop with peace of mind.
- No purchase fees. You won’t pay to make purchases with PayPal when you shop at New Zealand retailers.
- Accepted around the world. PayPal is accepted by thousands of retailers worldwide and used by millions of shoppers.
- Currency conversion fees. Making a purchase from an overseas retailer may incur a currency conversion fee.
- Transaction fees can be high. If you are sending or receiving international payments, transactions can be high if not coming from the existing balance and bank account.
If you’re wary about shopping online, PayPal is one of the safest ways to pay. It makes shopping more convenient with a quick log in and payment without entering your credit card every time.
More guides on Finder
9 sites to buy bamboo blankets online in New Zealand 2021
Shop at these stores and enjoy a good night’s sleep with a blanket that regulates your body temperature.
Top 8 sites to buy reusable pads online in New Zealand 2021
Save money when your monthly friend comes to visit by opting for reusable sanitary products.
Full list of shops that use Laybuy in New Zealand
Discover which retailers accept Laybuy, a retail payment platform that allows you to buy now and pay later for your next online shop.
Campervan hire in Melbourne | Where to book and what to know
Hit the road and experience the beauty of Victoria with a campervan from these companies.
Where to buy bamboo pillows online in New Zealand 2021
Sink your head into non-toxic and temperature-regulating softness each and every night with a bamboo pillow from one of these online retailers.
Campervan hire in Sydney | Where to book, what to know
Find your perfect home on wheels with campervan rentals in The Harbour City.
HelloFresh vs FED.
We compare recipes, delivery options, packaging, cost and more in this meal delivery review of HelloFresh and FED.
Online stores with free delivery and returns
Not many stores offer both free shipping and returns when you order online. Find out where to shop and learn more about how these processes work.
Best places to visit in Tasmania
From Cradle Mountain to Hobart and everything in between, these are our top picks for the best places to visit in Tasmania.
Best places to visit in New South Wales
From tropical, offshore islands to scintillating wine regions, we’ve rounded up the best places to visit around the state .
Ask an Expert