Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Trustpower broadband deals
Find out how you can save on your monthly bills by bundling your broadband and energy plans with Trustpower.
Updated . What changed?
Is Trustpower broadband right for me?
- What Trustpower broadband offers: Broadband plans bundled with your power and gas.
- The highlights: Discounts for product bundling; a broadband and power join-up bonus.
- Watch out for: Some connections types may not be available in your area; actual power and gas prices in Plan Builder may differ from quoted price.
Trustpower may not seem like an obvious choice for your home broadband plan. But as one of a handful of companies that supply both broadband and power to your home, you can make things easier on yourself by having fewer providers to deal with.
Trustpower supplies power to over 280,000 homes around New Zealand, and many of its customers also receive gas and/or broadband, taking advantage of bundle discounts. You can tailor a bundle to suit the needs of your household with competitive prices and reliable services.
If you like the idea of having one bill to pay each month and one company taking care of your internet, electricity and gas, read on to find out more about what Trustpower has to offer.
Compare Trustpower broadband plans
Types of plans offered by Trustpower
Copper and Ultra-fast broadband
ADSL – The most basic broadband connection with speeds of up to 10Mbps down/1Mbps up.
VDSL – Faster than ADSL, VDSL delivers up to 20Mbps down/2Mbps up.
Ultra-fast Broadband (fibre) – Fibre 100 is even faster and more reliable with entry-level speeds of up to 100Mbps down/20Mbps up. You can upgrade to Fibre 200 for 200Mbps down/20Mbps up, or Fibre Max for 700-900Mbps down/400-450Mbps up for the fastest possible experience.
All connection types are available on an unlimited data plan. If you are only a light-average internet user and are happy with ADSL, VDSL or Fibre 100 you can choose a capped 100GB a month plan instead.
Trustpower Wireless Broadband is delivered over 4G with estimated speeds of 10Mbps down/1Mbps up. Metro customers can have either 60GB or 120GB a month, or if you live in the country, you may be able to get the 240GB Rural plan. Only capped data wireless plans are available to avoid overloading network towers but you can buy more data each month.
All Trustpower broadband plans are naked but you can add a phone line if you need one. Trustpower will supply you with a modem for free or you can use your own if it is compatible. To find out what plans are available at your house, enter your address on the Trustpower website.
What are the benefits of using Trustpower for broadband and power?
When you join Trustpower on an eligible power and broadband bundle you can pick one of the following deals:
- Your choice of joining reward on a 24-month plan plus a $100 account credit. Rewards include a washing machine, laptops, television, fridge and sound system.
- Half price broadband for 12 months when you sign up for a 24-month plan.
You’ll also have:
- One bill
- One phone number to call
- Fewer providers to deal with
- Joining bonuses
- Special bundled rates
- Prompt payment discounts.
If you want to cancel your broadband service before the end of the contract term, an exit fee will apply. For many plans the fee is $95, but if you have ultra-fast broadband you will pay $59 for each month remaining if this was the first time fibre was installed at your house.
If you receive a joining reward when you sign up for a 24-month contract and want to cancel your broadband or power plan, you will need to pay an exit fee which seems to be equivalent to the value of the reward. Depending on the reward you chose, this could be anywhere from $700 to $1400.
Trustpower Plan Builder
Trustpower makes signing up and creating your own bundle easy with the Plan Builder. After entering your address you will be presented with the broadband plans available at your place. Choose one of these and then click on ‘Build a plan’. You can then add, remove and edit different services.
Power – When you add power you will see the charges that apply for usage.
Gas – Choose the gas supply that you prefer between LPG 45kg bottled gas or reticulated (mains gas).
Phone – Add a home phone line, calling packages and extra line services.
As you add and edit services, you will see your standard monthly charges on the righthand side of the page as well as any applicable join up bonuses and ongoing discounts. Just remember that power and gas are billed based on usage so you won’t see figures for these.
- Broadband & power join up bonus. Sign up for an eligible 24-month broadband and power bundle online and receive a $100 account credit. You’ll get capped broadband and power prices for two years plus a joining reward. Alternatively, you can sign up for a 24-month plan and get 12 months of half-price broadband.
- Ongoing discounts. Depending on which bundle you choose you could have a 15% prompt payment discount or a 25c off per day dual fuel discount.
- Multiple ways to pay your bill. Trustpower makes things very flexible when it comes time to pay your bill so you can choose the method most convenient for you. You can pay by direct debit, automatic payment, SmoothPay, online banking, phone banking, by cheque, at a participating NZ PostShop or via the Trustpower app.
- Mobile app. The Trustpower mobile app can be downloaded from the Apple Store or Google Play. You can use it to manage your account, view and pay bills, monitor your services and stay updated with planned maintenance or faults.
- Additional data packs. If you are on a Wireless plan and use all your data before the end of the month, you can purchase 10GB for $10. A pack can be automatically or manually added but there is a limit on how many packs you can add each month.
What to be aware of
- It’s not possible to join Trustpower for broadband only. You must sign up for power and broadband together.
- Some connection types may not be available in your area, but Trustpower will let you know what you can get when you enter your address.
- While Trustpower indicates an expected speed for your broadband plan, you may experience different speeds depending on things like your computer, wiring condition, environmental factors and how many people are using the service at the same time.
- Power and gas prices are quoted on the Plan Builder, but your actual prices may differ from what is shown.
How long does it take to get connected?
New fibre installations take longer as more work is involved. Trustpower indicates that this could be 4-6 weeks for a standard dwelling or 8-10 weeks if you live in an apartment building or share a driveway. Actual timeframes can vary based on technician availability, building work required and if consents are needed.
Trustpower Broadband summary
Trustpower is worth considering if you would like to streamline your bills by having your broadband, power, gas and phone line with one provider.
You can take advantage of monthly discounts and bonuses for bundling services, and with one bill to pay and one number to call when you have a problem, managing your household is that little bit easier.
Read more on this topic
Farmside broadband deals Learn more about Farmside’s broadband plans and prices and see if it’s right for your needs.
Compass broadband deals Compass stands out from the broadband crowd with prepaid or weekly payment options for unlimited broadband
Wireless Nation broadband deals Wireless Nation broadband is specifically designed for Kiwis that live rurally or in remote areas.
Voyager broadband deals If you’re looking for unlimited data without being tied into a long term contract, check out what Voyager has to offer.
Nova Energy broadband plans Sign up for broadband and energy with Nova Energy and enjoy an account credit, new TV or Plume Superpods.
Slow internet? We help you identify and solve the issue If you're suffering from slow download speeds or choppy Netflix streams, Internet congestion may be to blame.
Contact Energy broadband deals: Bundle and save Find out how you can save up to $25 a month on your broadband with a Broadband Bundle from Contact Energy.
VelocityNet broadband plans This Invercargill-based broadband provider has a range of plans from fibre to DSL and covers rural areas. See if VelocityNet is right for you.
WorldNet broadband deals Whether you are looking for ADSL, VDSL or lightning-fast fibre, WorldNet has something for everyone.
Netspeed broadband plans Netspeed can cover you if you live in a city or rurally and includes an optional phone plan. Find out more in our review.