myFICO credit score and monitoring review
Get full access to your credit report, plus a simulator to see how a loan or credit card affects your score.
What's in this review?
What is myFICO?myFICO is a division of FICO, a company founded back in 1956 to help the lending industry determine the overall creditworthiness of a potential customer. With such history and weight behind it, it’s since grown into a behemoth that sells multilevel credit reporting, monitoring and protection services to the public.myFICO’s paid services give you access to your FICO score and more than 25 related scores specific to mortgages, auto loans and credit cards.
How can I check my credit score with myFICO?myFICO services break down into one-time reports and ongoing subscriptions you can pay monthly or quarterly. Each option provides access to what the company calls FICO Score Versions.
These are variants of your FICO 8 Score — the score most widely used by lenders — and variants designed specifically for decisions within auto loans, credit cards and mortgages.
Services also include a report detailing the factors contributing to your FICO Score and a tool that simulates how your financial decisions can affect your overall creditworthiness.
Compare each myFICO service
Get instant one-time access to your FICO Score and industry variants through two services:
- FICO Score 1B Report — $19.95. See your FICO 8 Score and access to your credit report from one bureau of your choice.
- FICO Score 3B Report — $59.85. See your FICO 8 Score and more than 25 variants used within specific industries.
Subscriptions offer tracking and monitoring of your FICO Score and variants along with unlimited access to at least one report, depending on the option you choose:
- FICO Basics 1B — $19.95 a month. See your FICO Score 8 and get unlimited access to your Experian report and ID theft protection.
- FICO Ultimate 3B — $29.95 or $39.95 monthly. See your FICO Score 8 and more than 25 variants and get unlimited access to reports from all three bureaus that update quarterly or monthly, along with ID theft monitoring and protection.
A word of caution with FICO Ultimate 3B: You get unlimited access to your three reports for a monthly fee, but the information within them does not update automatically throughout the month you pay for. Rather, myFICO updates your credit information either quarterly or monthly, depending on the subscription you choose.
Both subscriptions automatically renew if you don’t cancel them.
How much does a myFICO subscription cost?
|myFICO service||Cost||Credit report access||Credit scores||Update frequency||Report monitoring||Identity theft monitoring||Identity restoration|
|FICO Basics 1B||$19.95 per month||Experian||FICO 8||Monthly||Included||Not available||Included|
|FICO Ultimate 3B (Quarterly)||$29.95 per month||Experian, Equifax and TransUnion||FICO 8 + 27 Score Versions||Quarterly||Included||Included||Included|
|FICO Ultimate 3B|
|$39.95 a month||Experian, Equifax and TransUnion||FICO 8 + 27 Score Versions||Monthly||Included||Included||Included|
What other services does myFICO offer?
All myFICO customers can take advantage of tools to help you stay on the path to financial freedom:
- Interest rate estimator. Learn how your FICO Score affects interest rates to help you get to the one you want.
- Score 8 Simulator. Understand how typical financial decisions affect your potential rates and terms.
- FICO Score 8 analysis. Check out the main factors that affect your credit score, and compare your history to people with scores of 785 or higher.
- Mobile app. For financials on the go, see your FICO Scores, reports and alerts conveniently from your phone or tablet.
Pros and consmyFICO offers access to the widely used FICO Score 8 along with access to your report from one or all three bureaus, depending on the service. But it’s not your only option — and it can be hard to narrow down from among so many services the right one for your needs.
- Flexible options. Choose the level of service that works for you — one or three bureaus, one-time or ongoing access, monthly or quarterly.
- FICO Score variants. Get detailed insight beyond your FICO Score 8 to see what auto financers, loan providers and credit card issuers judge your credibility.
- Intelligent ID monitoring. Most services come with some level of ID protection, with higher-tier services offering comprehensive services that scan underground sites for your personally identifiable information and monitor your Social Security number.
- Recovery and insurance. Get reimbursed for some losses your suffer due to ID theft, with help repairing your credit if your information is compromised.
- Tricky pricing. You can pay for access to your FICO Scores and reports, but “monthly” and “quarterly” refers to report updates only — not how frequently you’ll pay. Each service is monthly, with the higher-priced option including more services.
- Can be expensive. Subscriptions vary from $29.95 to $39.95, which is pricey for those already unsure of their credit standing. One-time access is about $20.
- For one person only. You can’t monitor details for your spouse or children without opening up a new subscription.
Compare myFICO with other credit score services
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Can I get my credit score for free?
Yes. Many banks and credit cards now offer a free glimpse of your credit score. But it may not be your true FICO Score 8. For instance, Capital One provides its customers access to scores based on TransUnion data.
Start by asking your bank or card issuer if it offers your credit score as a benefit. Be wary of sites offering free access to your score in exchange for personal information.
How do I sign up?
- Go to the myFICO site and choose the product you’re interested in. Then click Get Access Now.
- Set up a myFICO account with your email address and a desired password.
- Enter your personal information, financial details and identifying information required for your service to complete your application.
- Verify your identity for immediate access to myFICO.
Is myFICO legit?
Yes. myFICO is the consumer-facing division of FICO, which is a trusted name in credit reporting to the public, creditors and the government. Personal and financial data you submit through the myFICO site is encrypted using SSL technology and protected by VeriSign.
Since myFICO’s launch in March 2001, it has sold services to more than than 23 million people interested in maintaining or improving their credit.
Customer service for myFICO
Call myFICO at 888-577-5992 weekdays from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT or Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. PT.
Or reach out to customer service online. Click Support from the myFICO homepage to see answers to common questions. If you have more time, click Contact Us to complete a secure online form.
How do I know that myFICO is right for me?
FICO Scores are among the more popular scores used by banks, mortgage lenders, credit card issuers and more when determining their risk in taking you on as a borrower.
If you’re interested in applying for a car loan or mortgage, myFICO’s higher-tier services can be a good way to see how these specific industries might judge your existing credit score and overall credit reports. It could buy you time to improve your credit before attempting to take on such a large responsibility — or provide the green light to continue, if your credit isn’t as poor as you thought.myFICO can be a good way to closely monitor a recovering credit score too. It offers convenient, regular access to reports and ID theft protection that varies based on the service you choose.
Bottom linemyFICO can be a one-stop shop for access to your FICO Score 8 and variant scores that apply to specific lending industries — like mortgages or credit cards. You can get detailed insight into your three credit reports with the perk of ID protection and monitoring, depending on the level of service you pay for.
But access isn’t cheap: You’ll pay $19.95 for one-time access to one report and up to $39.95 a month for more comprehensive insight into your creditworthiness.