Marvel Mastercard® review
Comic fans will love the discounts on Marvel merchandise and high rewards rates.
- Get this card if you’re a Marvel fan and you want discounts and cash back on Marvel merchandise.
- Pick something else if you want higher cash back on other categories.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 3%
16.49% for account type 1, or 21.49% for account type 2 or 26.49% for account type 3
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome offer||$25 after your first purchase|
|Rewards||3% back on dining, select entertainment, Marvel and 1% back on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||16.49% for account type 1, or 21.49% for account type 2 or 26.49% for account type 3 variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
If you’re a fan of the Marvel Universe, the Marvel Mastercard® may be fun to have in your wallet. You’ll get to choose your card design — whether it be Captain America’s shield or a superhero like Iron Man or Black Panther — and you’ll get solid discounts and cash back on your Marvel purchases.
In addition, you’ll get high cash back on dining and entertainment — including games and software, movie tickets, concert and theater tickets, amusement park purchases, digital entertainment and more. And you won’t pay an annual fee to own the card.
How to apply for the Marvel Mastercard®
- Go to the Marvel website and find the Marvel Mastercard® under the More button. Click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form with your personal and financial information.
- Review your application and submit.
How long will it take to get my Marvel Mastercard®?
You may get an instant decision. In some cases, it could take up to 10 days to get a decision.
Once approved, you’ll get your card and any welcome materials within seven to 10 business days.
- Cash back. Earn 3% back on dining, select entertainment and on purchases at Marvel.com and Marvel’s official merchandise booths. On everything else, you’ll earn 1% cash back. Redeem your cash back automatically as a statement credit.
- Signup bonus. Get a $25 bonus after you make your first purchase with the card. This may not be a generous signup bonus but it’s very easy to get.
- No annual fee. You’ll pay no annual fee to own the card, which makes all the cash back you earn a pure reward to your account.
How much cashback rewards can I earn with the Marvel Mastercard®?
|Where you spend:||The amount you spend:||Cash back earned:|
|Marvel.com and Marvel booths||$1,500||$45|
If your annual spending looks similar to the example above, you would earn $235 in cash back for per year. Add the $25 bonus and you would earn $260 the first year.
You’ll also like …
- Discounts at MarvelShop.com. Get 10% off on all of your MarvelShop.com purchases. You can also get free shipping for purchases at this website during certain times of the year.
- Comics discount. Get discounts on Marvel digital comics and Marvel Unlimited — a digital comics subscription service with access to more than 20,000 Marvel comics on your mobile device. If you’re not a Marvel Unlimited member, you’ll get three months membership for free.
- Marvel Avengers STATION discounts. Get 20% off tickets when you visit this interactive exhibit, and 10% off merchandise by using your card.
- No penalty APR. You’ll pay a fee of up to $37 if you make a late payment. But you won’t incur any penalty APR, which in other cards can be up to 31% and could last indefinitely.
What to watch out for
- Foreign transaction fee. The card comes with a 3% fee of the amount of each transaction you make outside of the US. This makes the card a poor traveling companion for travel abroad.
- No intro APR period. You start with a variable APR of 16.49% for account type 1, or 21.49% for account type 2 or 26.49% for account type 3 from the moment you open your account. If you’re looking to make a large purchase or make a balance transfer without paying an interest for a prolonged period, check out 0% intro APR credit cards.
Compare cashback credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
You must be at least 18 years old and a US citizen to apply for this card. You also need to provide:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Date of birth, Social Security number and mother’s maiden name.
- Annual income.
In your application, you can choose one of six available designs for your new card. You can also add an authorized user, or purchase optional card security offered by Synchrony Bank.
What credit score do I need?
Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher to increase your chances of approval.
Marvel Mastercard® reviews and complaints
Comic fans love the card, especially the discounts they get on Marvel purchases and the cashback rates on dining. The only thing some of the users didn’t like was the low credit line they received, but this wasn’t the case with everyone.
As of August 2021, Synchrony Bank, the issuer of the Marvel Mastercard®, is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau and it’s been accredited since 2006.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the MySynchrony mobile app. Make payments with the app, check your balance and transactions, make scheduled payments and more.
- Avoid interest and fees. Your due date is 23 days after the close of each billing cycle. Pay your balance by then, or you’ll pay a late payment fee of up to $37 and a variable APR depending on your creditworthiness.
- Customer service. For any questions you may have, call the number on the back of your card or call 877-295-2080.
How do I redeem rewards from the Marvel Mastercard®?
Your cashback rewards will be automatically issued as a statement credit to your account within two billing cycles of earning it.
To get the reward, your account must be in good standing or your cash back will be delayed. If you close your account before you get the statement credit, you’ll lose your rewards.
Marvel fans who love to have their superheroes on their cards, will certainly enjoy this card. Not only will you get discounts and cash back on Marvel purchases, but you’ll get cash back on dining and entertainment as well. And the great thing is — you won’t pay an annual fee.
However, if you need more time to make up your mind, make sure you check out other credit cards to compare your options until you can find the best card for your needs.