Jackson Hewitt review
File taxes online or in-person for a no-fee refund advance loan.Jackson Hewitt offers both online and in-person filing services and is best known for its no-fee refund advance loans. There’s only one online package that costs a flat $49. It covers all tax situations and includes one federal and one state return. But those with simple returns may be able to file for cheaper with other platforms.
Federal returns starting price
State returns starting price
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
The Jackson Hewitt tax service is best if you’re looking for an interest-free advance on your loan, or if you want the option of filing online or in person.
If you’re an investor or have a complicated tax situation, filing with Jackson Hewitt could save you some money. But if you have a simple tax situation, you may be able to file for free with platforms like H&R Block, TurboTax and Tax Act.
Plus, Jackson Hewitt requires you to file in-person if you want the interest-free advance on your refund. Those rates aren’t advertised online, but customer reviews say it can be quite expensive.
How much does Jackson Hewitt charge?
Costs vary depending on the complexity of your tax situation and whether you file online or in person.
In PersonJackson Hewitt offices are franchised, so prices vary by location. Simple returns start around $48 and complex returns could be as high as $498. On average, customers pay $230.
You’ll pay a flat $49 to file your return online with Jackson Hewitt. This price covers all tax situations and includes your federal and state return. If you only need a federal return, the price drops to $25.
How do I pay?
At the end of the filing process, you’ll pay for your plan using a debit or credit card.
How do I get my tax refund?
You can redeem your tax refunds in five ways:
- Direct deposit
- American Express Serve card
- Paper check via US mail
- No Fee Advance Loan option
- Go Big Advance Loan option
What bank does Jackson Hewitt use for tax refunds?
Jackson Hewitt uses MetaBank for tax refunds issued through its Refund Advance loan options.
How do I open a Jackson Hewitt account?
To sign up for Jackson Hewitt‘s online filing services, follow the steps below:
- Click Apply now.
- From the official Jackson Hewitt Website, click File Online under the Tax Filing menu option.
- Click Start for free and create an account using your email, username and password.
- Confirm your email address, set up your security questions and click Save answers.
After you complete these three steps, you can start your return.
ProsJackson Hewitt offers several benefits such as:
- No-fee refund advance loans. Some filers may qualify for a no-fee refund advance, allowing them to get their refund as early as December.
- Physical locations. Jackson Hewitt has 6,000 locations nationwide for those who want to file in person.
- Handles advanced tax situations. Jackson Hewitt’s packages cover a range of tax situations including large investments, self-employment income and itemized deductions.
- Good deal for complex filers. If you’re an investor, business owner or have a complicated tax situation, Jackson Hewitt’s online package may be a cheaper alternative to platforms like TurboTax and H&R Block.
If you plan to file with Jackson Hewitt, watch out for these potential drawbacks:
- More expensive for simple filers. Jackson Hewitt’s online and in-person tax filing services may be a more expensive option for those with simple tax situations as many competitors offer free plans.
- Limited customer support. Representatives are only available on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET. If you call or live chat someone, they may only be able to answer questions about in-person returns as they may not deal with the online software. This was our experience and it was frustating.
- Must file in-store to receive advances. Those wanting to take advantage of Jackson Hewitt’s advance loans must file taxes in-person.
Jackson Hewitt reviews and complaints
|BBB customer reviews||1.3 out of 5 stars, based on 48 customer reviews|
|Trustpilot Score||4 out of 5 stars, based on 24 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||08 February 2021|
Customers are generally pleased with its online tax preparation services, but most complaints stem from its in-person services. Customers warn of outrageous fees and being denied for an advance loan after filing in person.
Compare tax filing services
But if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative, shop around for other ways to file your taxes online.
Jackson Hewitt customer support
There are several ways to contact Jackson Hewitt customer support:
- Call 800-234-1040 weekdays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ESTno fee
- Visit an office near you
- Send a Facebook message to Jackson Hewitt Tax Service
- Tweet @jacksonhewitt