Jackson Hewitt review
File taxes online or in-person for a no-fee refund advance loan.Jackson Hewitt offers both online and in-person filing services and is best known for its no-fee refund advance loans. But watch out for high filing fees and limited customer service hours.
Federal returns starting price
State returns starting price
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
If you want the option of filing online or in person, or you’re looking for an interest-free advance on your refund, Jackson Hewitt may be the right fit. It offers three straightforward online filing plans — one of which includes a free federal and state return.
But if you want the interest-free advance on your refund, you’ll have to file in-person and rates vary by location.
How much does Jackson Hewitt cost?
Costs vary depending on the complexity of your tax situation and whether you file online or in person.
In PersonJackson Hewitt offices are franchised, so prices vary by location. Simple returns start around $48 and complex returns could be as high as $498. On average, customers pay $230.
OnlineJackson Hewitt offers three plans for online filing:
||Simple returns with W-2 wages and/or unemployment, up to $100,000 in taxable and earned income credit with no dependents|
Families with children, dependent care expenses, student loans and Child Tax Credits
Retirees with retirement income
||Complex returns with income over $100,000, self-employment income, rental property, investments and itemized deductions|
How do I pay?
At the end of the filing process, you’ll pay for your plan using a debit or credit card.
How do I get my tax refund?
You can redeem your tax refunds in five ways:
- Direct deposit
- American Express Serve card
- Paper check via US mail
- No Fee Advance Loan option
- Go Big Advance Loan option
How do I open a Jackson Hewitt account?
To sign up for Jackson Hewitt‘s online filing services, follow the steps below:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the official Jackson Hewitt Website, click File Online under the Tax Filing menu option.
- Click Start for free and create an account using your email, username and password.
- Confirm your email address, set up your security questions and click Save answers.
After you complete these three steps, you can start your return.
ProsJackson Hewitt offers several benefits such as:
- Free basic plan. Jackson Hewitt’s cheapest plan offers free federal and state filing services.
- No-fee refund advance loans. Some filers may qualify for a no-fee refund advance, allowing them to get their refund as early as December.
- Physical locations. Jackson Hewitt has 6,000 locations nationwide for those who want to file in person.
- Handles advanced tax situations. Jackson Hewitt’s packages cover a range of tax situations including large investments, self-employment income and itemized deductions.
If you plan to file with Jackson Hewitt, watch out for these potential drawbacks:
- Expensive. Jackson Hewitt’s online and in-person tax filing services are more expensive than the competition.
- Limited customer support. Representatives are only available on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET.
- Must file in-store to receive advances. Those wanting to take advantage of Jackson Hewitt’s advance loans must file taxes in-person.
Jackson Hewitt reviews and complaintsJackson Hewitt earns an A+ from the Better Business Bureau based on its internal criteria. However, it earns a mere 2 out of 5 stars based on 11 customer reviews.
Customers are generally pleased with its online tax preparation services, but most complaints stem from its in-person services. Customers warn of outrageous fees and being denied for an advance loan after filing in person.
Compare tax filing services
But if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative, shop around for other ways to file your taxes online.
Jackson Hewitt customer support
There are several ways to contact Jackson Hewitt customer support:
- Call 800-234-1040 weekdays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ESTno fee
- Visit an office near you
- Send a Facebook message to Jackson Hewitt Tax Service
- Tweet @jacksonhewitt