- Federal starting price
- State returns starting price
The Jackson Hewitt tax service is best if you're looking for an interest-free advance on your loan, or if you want the option of filing online or in person.
If you're an investor or have a complicated tax situation, filing with Jackson Hewitt could save you some money. But if you have a simple tax situation, you may be able to file for free with platforms like H&R Block, TurboTax and Tax Act.
Plus, Jackson Hewitt requires you to file in person if you want the interest-free advance on your refund. Those rates aren't advertised online, but customer reviews say it can be quite expensive.
Handles advanced tax situations
Good deal for complex filers
More expensive for simple filers
Limited customer support
Must file in-store to receive advances
How much does Jackson Hewitt charge?
Costs vary depending on the complexity of your tax situation and whether you file online or in person.
In personJackson Hewitt offices are franchised, so prices vary by location. Simple returns start around $65, and complex returns could be as high as $498. On average, customers pay $230.
You’ll pay a flat $25 to file your return online with Jackson Hewitt. This price covers all tax situations and includes your federal and state return.
How do I pay?
At the end of the filing process, you’ll pay for your plan using a debit or credit card.
How do I get my tax refund?
Redeem your tax refunds in five ways:
- Direct deposit
- American Express Serve card
- Paper check via US mail
- No Fee Advance Loan option
- Go Big Advance Loan option
What bank does Jackson Hewitt use for tax refunds?
Jackson Hewitt uses Pathward for tax refunds issued through its Refund Advance loan options.
How do I open a Jackson Hewitt account?
Sign up for Jackson Hewitt‘s online filing services following these steps:
- Select Apply now.
- From the official Jackson Hewitt Website, select File Online under the Tax Filing menu option.
- Choose Start for free and create an account using your email, username and password.
- Confirm your email address, set up your security questions and hit Save answers.
Start your return after you complete these four steps.
ProsJackson Hewitt offers several benefits such as:
- Physical locations. Jackson Hewitt has 6,000 locations nationwide for those who want to file in person.
- Handles advanced tax situations. Jackson Hewitt’s packages cover a range of tax situations, including large investments, self-employment income and itemized deductions.
- Good deal for complex filers. If you’re an investor or business owner — or have a complicated tax situation — Jackson Hewitt’s online package may be a cheaper alternative to platforms like TurboTax and H&R Block.
If you plan to file with Jackson Hewitt, watch out for these potential drawbacks:
- More expensive for simple filers. Jackson Hewitt’s online and in-person tax filing services may be a more expensive option for those with simple tax situations, as many competitors offer free plans.
- Limited customer support. If you call or live chat with someone, they may only be able to answer questions about in-person returns as they may not handle the online software. This was our experience, and it was frustrating.
- Must file in-store to receive advances. Those wanting to take advantage of Jackson Hewitt’s advance loans must file taxes in person.
Jackson Hewitt reviews and complaints
|BBB customer reviews||1.47 out of 5 stars, based on 139 customer reviews|
|Trustpilot Score||3.4 out of 5 stars, based on 70 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||05 March 2023|
Customers are generally pleased with its online tax preparation services, but most complaints stem from its in-person services. Customers warn of outrageous fees and getting denied an advance loan after filing in person.
Compare tax filing services
Narrow down top tax filing services by federal starting price, state returns starting price and more to find the best for your budget and financial goals. Select Compare for up to four products to see their benefits side by side.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
But if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative, shop around for other ways to file your taxes online.
Jackson Hewitt customer support
There are several ways to contact Jackson Hewitt customer support:
- Call 800-234-1040 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. ET or weekends from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET.
- Live chat with a representative weekdays from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. ET or weekends from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET.
- Visit an office near you.
- Send a Facebook message to Jackson Hewitt Tax Service.
- Tweet @jacksonhewitt.
Frequently asked questions
What is Jackson Hewitt’s Early Access?
Early Access is a $20 service that lets you get an advancement up to $400 from your next paycheck.
What types of advances can I get from Jackson Hewitt?Jackson Hewitt offers three types of advances:
- The No-Fee Refund Advance features a 0% APR up to $3,500 for qualifying clients.
- The Go Big Refund Advance allows qualifying clients to receive a $1,000 to $7,000 loan with a fixed 35.9% APR.
- The Early Refund Advance ranges from $200 to $400 and is a 0% APR loan for clients with qualifying pay stubs or income verification.
What is the American Express Serve Card?
This card allows Jackson Hewitt customers to receive federal tax refunds up to two days earlier. Withdraw the funds for free at any MoneyPass ATM.
How many locations does Jackson Hewitt have?Jackson Hewitt has over 6,000 offices, with over half located in Walmart stores.
Ask a question using your email below.Ask a question
You are about to post a question on finder.com:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked