This card offers a market-leading intro APR on purchases and balance transfers.
- Get this card if you want a superb intro APR on purchases and balance transfers.
- Pick something else if you want rewards.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 to 850.
|Product Name||HSBC Gold Mastercard® credit card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||13.24%, 17.24% or 21.24% variable|
|Introductory Purchase APR||0% for the first 18 months (then 13.24%, 17.24% or 21.24% variable)|
|Balance Transfer APR||13.24%, 17.24% or 21.24% variable|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR||0% for the first 18 months (then 13.24%, 17.24% or 21.24% variable)|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$10 or 4% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||27.24% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 4% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $37|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $25|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Rates & Fees||Rates & Fees|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
The HSBC Gold Mastercard® credit card offers several benefits that give similar credit cards a run for their money. With no annual fee and a low introductory rate, you’ll get the chance to save on your purchases and balances you decide to transfer.
- Annual fee: None.
Use the card as much or as little as you want without worrying about an annual fee. This is a good perk when combined with the card’s intro APR.
- Intro APR: On purchases and balance transfers.
Enjoy a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 18 months following your account opening. After, you’ll receive a variable APR of 13.24%, 17.24% or 21.24% depending on your creditworthiness. This is a top-notch intro APR.
- Cardholder-friendly policies.
HSBC waives one late fee each year. If you happen to pay late, you won’t receive a penalty rate. You also won’t pay to get additional cards for authorized users. Late fees are widespread among card providers, making this a great deal.
You’ll also like …
- Potentially low APR.
Depending on your credit, you may qualify for an ongoing purchase and balance transfer APR as low as 13.24% variable. This is a relatively low rate given the average credit card APR is around 16%.
- No foreign transaction fees.
Providers typically charge a 3% foreign transaction fee, especially for cards without travel rewards. Use your HSBC Gold Mastercard® credit card abroad and at foreign websites without incurring a fee.
- Shopping and travel benefits.
Get access to MasterAssist travel planning, roadside assistance, rental car insurance and travel accident insurance. Also, enjoy extended warranties, purchase protection and price protection when shopping.
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR.
Depending on your credit, you could see a purchase and balance transfer APR as high as 21.24% variable. This is higher than the average credit card APR of around 16%.
Compare intro APR credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the HSBC Gold Mastercard® credit card, you must be at least 18 years old.
Information you’ll need
- Full name and contact information.
- Residential status.
- Annual income and employment information.
- Social Security number, date of birth and mother’s maiden name.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the HSBC Gold Mastercard® credit card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. A better credit score can also secure you a higher credit limit and a lower APR.
What do customers say about the HSBC Gold Mastercard® credit card?
HSBC Bank USA, National Association is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). It currently has an F rating from the agency due to its failure to respond to 10 customer complaints. The company currently has over 100 complaints; however, according to the BBB, most of these have been answered or resolved.
How to apply for the HSBC Gold Mastercard® credit card
- Visit HSBC’s site and click Apply now.
- Complete the application with details like your name, contact details, annual income and Social Security number.
- Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to get my HSBC Gold Mastercard® credit card?
Typically, you can expect to hear back about your application within two weeks. If you’re approved, you’ll likely receive the card in the mail within seven to 10 days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your card bill online at the HSBC website, where you can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your purchase balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $37. Balance transfers, cash advances and overlimit transactions also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, call the number on the back of your card. You can also call HSBC customer service at 800-975-4722.
The HSBC Gold Mastercard® credit card doesn’t offer rewards or high-powered benefits. Instead, like the Citi Simplicity® Card, it aims for one stellar perk — a fantastic intro APR on purchases and balance transfers.
Frequently asked questions