Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to increase your American Express credit limit
Pay your balance on time and use your credit card often.
A high credit limit can help you make large purchases with your card and can positively affect your credit score. But you must be eligible to get your credit line increase request approved.
How can I find out my American Express credit limit?
Log in to your online account and select the card you want to check. Look for your credit limit under the Home section. You can also check your credit limit on your credit card statement or you can call customer support and ask.
If you can’t find your credit limit, it probably means you have a charge card. This doesn’t mean you have unlimited spending power; It just means you can’t carry your balance.
How do I know if I am eligible for a credit limit increase?
American Express has the following eligibility criteria:
- Your credit card account must be at least 60 days old.
- You must pay your balance on time and in full.
- You actively use your credit card.
- You have a higher income than when you applied for the card.
- Your credit score improved.
Keep in mind, even if you meet these requirements you may still get denied for a credit line increase.
How to increase my American Express credit limit
You have four options to increase your American Express credit limit.
Unless you get an automatic credit limit increase, make sure you have the following information close by — your annual income, employment and occupation, a reason for the request, your monthly credit card spend and mortgage/rent payment.
DID YOU KNOW?
American Express doesn’t make a hard pull on your credit when you request a credit line increase.
Submit your request online
Amex makes it easy to request a credit limit through your online account. All you have to do is:
- Log in to your online American Express account.
- Select the card you want, just make sure it’s a credit card, not a charge card.
- Go to the card management section under Account services.
- Select the option to increase your credit limit.
- Enter the credit limit amount you are requesting and your annual income.
Call the bank
As an alternative, you can call American Express and request a credit limit increase directly with customer support. Here’s how to do it:
- Call Amex using the number on the back of your card.
- Request a credit limit increase.
- Provide the necessary information, including your income and the amount you request.
When will I receive the credit limit increase?
In most cases, you should receive your credit line increase as soon as your request is approved.
Get an automatic credit limit increase
Even if you don’t request a credit line increase, you can still get one. But for that to occur, you have to:
- Use your card often. Charge as many purchases on your credit card as possible to show you could use a credit limit increase.
- Pay your balance on time. And make sure you pay it in full. This is probably the most important factor that determines whether you get a credit line increase.
- Update your annual income. If you earn more money now than when you applied for the card, Amex will notice.
Apply for another card
Sometimes, applying for a new card could be the best option to increase your credit limit. That way you can get additional perks, like a welcome offer, 0% intro APR period, a rewards program or a no annual fee.
Compare cards with higher credit limits
All credit cards in the table below come with a high credit limit. However, the credit line you receive depends on various factors, including your annual income, employment and creditworthiness.
How is my American Express credit limit determined?
American Express determines your credit line based on:
- Annual income.
The more you earn, the more you spend. Credit card providers often give a high credit line to cardmembers with high annual income.
Show American Express that you have a steady income and a steady job. Card providers take notice and believe you can be a responsible cardholder.
Pay your balance on time and keep your debt low to boost your credit score. This is a major factor in determining interest rates and credit line.
- Utilization rate.
Keep utilization rate at 30% or lower to show you can manage debt.
- The number of credit card inquiries.
Applying for too many cards in a short period of time can lead your card provider to think you are desperate for credit. This can only affect new credit card applications, but not a credit line request since Amex doesn’t make a hard pull.
How often will Amex increase my credit limit?
You can request a credit line increase after 60 days of card membership. After that, wait at least six months to request another increase.
Call American Express customer service or log in to your online account to request a credit limit increase. But before you make the request, pay your balance on time and use your credit card as often as possible to improve your chances of success.
If, for some reason, you can’t get a credit line increase, consider applying for a new credit card. If approved, you will get access to a new line of credit, plus you could get additional perks.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert