How much do freelancer marketplaces cost?
Most options allow you to post jobs for free and usually charge a processing fee from 3% to 5% on the total billed amount.
Factors to consider when choosing the right freelancer marketplace tool
Most of these marketplaces are very similar and some freelancers might even offer services on more than one. There are a few things you can take into account, though, to help you decide which is best for you.
- The lowest price, or the best quality. You can’t have both, so consider whether you’re simply looking for an immediate quick fix, or access to a pool of quality designers.
- Ongoing projects vs. one-time tasks. Upwork and Freelancer do a great job at managing freelancers through milestones and paying by the hour while Fiverr is more appropriate for one particular task.
- Let them come to you, or seek them out. Decide if you’d prefer to search through all the options available, or would like freelancers to bid for your work.
- How much do you know about what you need? If you have a vague idea of what you’re looking for but prefer to shop around, then Fiverr’s packages and upsells could help you choose.
- Easily find quality designers by viewing profiles, samples and reviews
- Know the cost up front
- Secured payment platform that protects buyers
- Quick turnaround possible, sometimes within a day
- Costs more than DIY options
- Turnaround could be up to two weeks for the best designers
- The time invested to screen the right candidates
- The cheapest options might be different than your expectations
What are other graphic design options for business?
Online tools and freelancer marketplaces are great options for smaller projects with a quick turnaround. However, there are a few other options to consider that might suit your business needs more.
- Design contest sites like 99designs. A logo can cost anywhere from $399 to $1,799 and product packaging starts from $549.
- Design agencies. If you’re looking to develop your entire brand with a full marketing strategy, then you could be looking at costs from $10,000 to $50,000.
- Do it yourself from scratch. For businesses that have the time and inclination to learn how to design for themselves, you can consider online training platforms like Lynda.com to learn how to use professional design software such as Photoshop.