First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card review
This simple secured card doesn't require a credit history or minimum credit score.
- Get this card if you have a poor credit score, or no credit history.
- Pick something else if you want to earn rewards or need a card with no annual fees.
- Apply with poor credit score or with no credit history.
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card is one of three similar cards that differ mostly in the annual fee and the APR. This card comes with an annual fee of $39 and an APR on purchases of a 13.99% variable.
While you’ll have to pay an annual fee for the card, you don’t need a minimum score — or a credit history — to apply. This makes the card a possibility if you have damaged credit. Keep in mind approval isn’t guaranteed.
As this is a secured card, you need to deposit anywhere between $200 and $5,000 to act as your credit line. With responsible use, you can increase your credit limit line up to $5,000. Responsible use will also help you build credit as the card reports your activity to all three major credit bureaus — Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
Because of that, the First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card can be a decent credit-building option.
How to apply for the First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card
Apply for the card if you are at least 18 years old or 19 in Alabama or Nebraska, a US citizen or legal resident of any state except Arkansas, Iowa, New York or Wisconsin, able to put down at least $200 for a deposit, which will be your line of credit. Here’s how to apply:
- Click Apply now.
- Complete the application form.
- Confirm that your information is correct. Click Go to payment to complete your application.
How long will it take to get my First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card?
You should receive the status of your application within three weeks. If you don’t hear back within that time, contact customer support.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply without any credit history or with a poor credit score. Though there’s no minimum credit score, your approval isn’t guaranteed.
First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card benefits
- Build or repair your credit. You can apply with no credit history and with no minimum credit score. As soon as you get your card and start spending responsibly, Synovus Bank reports your activity to the three major credit agencies. By paying on time every month, you can potentially improve your credit score and open up unsecured options down the road.
- Choose your line of credit. Your initial deposit can be from $200 to $2,000. Over time, you could increase your deposit up to $5,000, its maximum credit limit.
- Global access. Because it’s a Mastercard, it’s accepted worldwide.
- Relatively low APR on purchases. The card has a variable APR of 13.99%, which is relatively low when compared to the APRs of up to 26% that other unsecured credit cards have.
First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card drawbacks
- Annual fee. You’ll pay $39 to own the card. If you occasionally carry your balance, the low APR on purchases could help you offset the annual fee and save money.
- Foreign transaction fees. You’ll pay a 3% fee for each transaction made outside of the US. This may not seem like much, but $1,000 spent abroad will cost you $30 in fees. That’s almost the cost of the annual fee.
- Penalties and fees. A late payment will set you back up to $40, and you’ll pay up to $29 for each returned payment. Cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Limited customer service. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to contact Synovus Bank customer support via phone. If you have any questions, you’ll have to reach support by mail or, if you’re already a member, you can reach them online.
Compare Synovus Bank credit cards
|First Progress card||Annual fee||APR|
|First Progress Platinum Elite MasterCard® Secured Credit Card||$29||19.99% APR variable|
|First Progress Platinum Prestige Mastercard® Secured Credit Card||$49||9.99% APR variable|
|First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card||$39||13.99% APR variable|
Compare secured cards
If this card isn’t right for you, compare other secured credit cards on the market that can help you build credit. Consider factors such as annual fee, APR and security deposit requirements.
First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card reviews and complaints
Customers who are happy with the card claim they quickly built their credit score once they started using it. Those who weren’t satisfied mostly complained about poor customer support. Some even said that the bank didn’t close their account when they requested it.
The Better Business Bureau has accredited Synovus Bank since 2013 and rates them A+.
If you have no credit history and you want to build your credit score, the First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card can help you out. The card has a relatively low annual fee and low APR on purchases, which can come in handy if you occasionally carry your balance. In addition, with responsible spending, Synovus Bank may approve an increase of your deposit, which in turn will increase your credit line.
But if you’re still wondering whether this is the right card for you, consider other secured cards to find the perfect card to help you build your credit.