Sorting through student loan options can get overwhelming. Why not knock out eight at once?
Gearing up to go to school and looking into your student loan options? Find out what rates you might qualify for with several lenders all at once using Credible’s marketplace. With both fixed and variable rates available, you may be able to find a lender that can help.
|Product Name||Credible Labs Inc. (Student Loan Platform)|
|Minimum Loan Amount||$1,000|
|Maximum Loan Amount||Varies by lender (typically, total certified costs of education minus financial aid already received)|
|APR||Starting at 4.2% with autopay|
|Interest Rate Type||Variable|
|Minimum Loan Term||5 years|
|Maximum Loan Term||20 years|
|Requirements||Enrolled at least half time in qualifying US educational program, ages 18+ or apply with cosigner|
- Be enrolled at least half-time in a qualifying US educational program.
- Have a co-signer if you are younger than 18.
Am I eligible?
Before you dive in and find out your rates, make sure you match the basic requirements. You’ll need to:
- Have a cosigner if you are younger than 18.
- Be enrolled at least half time in a qualifying US educational program.
Why should I consider a private student loan through Credible?
You’ll use just one form and pay no fee to prequalify with a variety of student loan providers that offer both fixed- and variable-rate options. When you use the service, you’re not actually borrowing from Credible, but instead getting potential offers from its network of partner lenders.
Rates and terms will vary depending on the lender you’re matched with. And repayment plans may include: full deferral, interest-only payments, flat in-school payments and full payments.
Loans for college, graduate and professional degree programs are available through Credible. They’re unsecured and available as long as you’re enrolled at least half time in a qualified US educational program. Anyone under the age of 18 must apply with a cosigner.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of Credible student loans?
- Multiple lenders, one application. Time is precious. If you’re looking to simplify the search for student loans, you’ll find out if you qualify for one or more loans among eight different lenders with just one form.
- No hidden fees. Lenders through Credible don’t charge origination or prepayment fees. That means you can prepay as little or as much as you like, whenever you’d like. Doing so can save hundreds of dollars in interest payments.
- Customer support. Complications happen, but they don’t have to get out of hand or stew over the weekend. Credible supplies phone, email and chat support every day of the week.
- No cost to get your rates. Using Credible won’t cost you a thing. That means you get multiple comparisons at once, for free. And it uses a soft credit pull, so your credit score won’t be affected when you check your rates.
- Limited selection. Though there are eight different lenders working with Credible, some top student lenders are missing — most notably CommonBond.
- Three’s a crowd. Dealing with issues with your student loans can be frustrating and worrisome. When a third party is involved, finding answers quickly can often hinder the process.
- No guarantee. Just because you prequalify for an attractive offer, it is not a guarantee of approval. Once you submit your full application, and a hard credit check is done, you could still be denied if the verification doesn’t match up.
- Private loans don’t carry federal benefits. Federal benefits such as the Civil Service Loan Forgiveness or any income-driven repayment plans won’t be available for your private loans. Any sort of repayment programs will strictly be between you and the lender. Credible even encourages potential customers to apply with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before considering private loans.
Compare Credible to other private student loan providers
How do I apply?
Once you’re ready to go, just follow these five steps to get your rates:
- Click the Go to site button on this page to be redirected to Credible’s private student loans application.
- Select whether you’ll be checking rates individually or with a cosigner.
- Enter your education and financial information.
- View your options.
- Select your preferred lender and receive your funds.
I got a private student loan through Credible. Now what?
You’ve received offers and found one that’s a good fit. The approved funds will be sent directly to the school.
Depending on which lender and loan you signed up for, you could choose from multiple repayment options, including:
- Immediate. Make full payments shortly after funds are disbursed.
- Interest only. Make only payments towards interest while you’re in school.
- Flat in-school. Make a fixed monthly payment that’s lower than the full payment while you’re in school.
- Full deferral. Delay payments until after graduation — usually six months after.
Some loans may come with discounts for setting up automatic payments. It’s a great way to avoid late payment fees, so long as the funds are in your account on the due date.
No matter where you’re at in your college career, you’re probably busy. Credible can help you save some precious time, but it’s not the only solution out there. You may still want to shop around and compare other student loan providers to find the best offer for you.