Aeroplan® Credit Card review
Earn 3x Aeroplan points on dining, groceries and Air Canada flights.
- Get this card if you want to earn additional miles toward Air Canada flights as well as Air Canada flight benefits.
- Pick something else if you want a general airline card or an introductory APR.
- Apply with an excellent credit score of 800 or higher.
3x points for each dollar spent on grocery stores, dining at restaurants including takeout and eligible delivery services, and Air Canada directly
1x points for each dollar spent on all other purchases.
16.49% to 23.49% variable
Minimum Credit Score
|Welcome offer||Earn 2 Welcome Flight Rewards (worth up to 10,000 total points) after you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months from account opening.|
|Rewards||3x points for each dollar spent on grocery stores, dining at restaurants including takeout and eligible delivery services, and Air Canada directly|
1x points for each dollar spent on all other purchases.
|Purchase APR||16.49% to 23.49% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||16.49% to 23.49% variable|
|Minimum Credit Score||800|
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The Aeroplan® Credit Card is a new cobranded airline card from Chase in partnership with Air Canada. It has a $95 annual fee and earns 3x points at eligible grocery stores and restaurants, including takeout and delivery services. It also earns 3X points on purchases made with Air Canada, 1x points on all other purchases and comes with a 16.49% to 23.49% variable APR.
As a cherry on top, you’ll earn an additional 500 bonus points for every $2,000 you spend in a calendar month on up to 1,500 points collected this way each month. For a limited time, the card also comes with a juicy welcome offer of two Welcome Flight Rewards Certificates worth up to 50,000 points each after you spend $4,000 on the card within your first 3 months
As you might expect from a cobranded airline card, the Aeroplan® Credit Card also offers several Air Canada travel benefits. These include free first checked bags on Air Canada flights, complimentary 25K Elite Status on the year you open your account and the following year, a $100 credit toward Global Entry or TSA Precheck applications and several travel protections.
For the price, the Aeroplan® Credit Card has plenty to offer for Air Canada flyers. Of note is the card’s welcome offer: a bonus worth 100,000 points is no joke, especially for the low spend requirements of $4,000. This amounts to $1,500 to $2,000 in value, which is nuts for the card’s $95 annual fee.
The main sticking point for the Aeroplan® Credit Card is Air Canada flight destinations and your Air Canada access. Air Canada specializes in flights to and within Canada, so while you might find an Air Canada flight that services purely within the US, your options are likely more limited than flying with a US-based carrier. You can also transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Air Canada using one of Chase’s powerful Sapphire cards, which reduces the overall value of using the Chase Aeroplan for raw points.
All told, the Aeroplan® Credit Card is a great pick if you have reliable access to Air Canada flights and want some nice perks to help you save on your travels. For everyone else though, one of Chase’s general travel cards may offer more value and flexibility.
How to apply for the Aeroplan® Credit Card
Apply for the Aeroplan® Credit Card by doing the following.
- Select Apply now.
- Choose Credit cards at the top menu and select Personal credit cards from the drop down selection.
- Scroll down to the Aeroplan Card and select Learn more.
- Choose either Sign in to apply faster or Apply as a guest to start the application process.
- Fill out the requested information and hit Submit.
Aeroplan® Credit Card benefits
- Earn Aeroplan points. You’ll earn 3x points on eligible grocery store purchases, dining at restaurants including takeout and delivery services, and 3x points on Air Canada purchases. You’ll earn 1x points on all other purchases. For every $2,000 you spend in a calendar month, you’ll also earn 500 bonus points on up to 1,500 points total that month.
- Welcome offer. Earn two Welcome Flight Rewards after you spend $4,000 in your first 3 months from account opening. These Rewards are worth up to 50,000 points each, for a total value of $2,000 on average based on Finder’s valuations.
- New cardmember 25K Status. New cardmembers receive Aeroplan 25K status for the remainder of the year they open their account, as well as the entire following year. This status level includes benefits such as priority airport services, upgrades to premium cabins and more. Keep this status by spending $15,000 on your account during each calendar year. Primary cardholders can also upgrade their status level to 35K by spending $50,000 on their account during a calendar year.
- Air Canada travel perks. Cardholders enjoy several Air Canada perks, including free first checked bags on up to 50lbs on flights originating on Air Canada, access to preferred pricing on flight rewards, and 24/7 concierge service.
- NEXUS, TSA ✓® or Global Entry fee credit. You’ll receive a statement credit of up to $100 toward application fees for these services every four years.
- No foreign transaction fees. You won’t pay a fee on transactions made abroad using this card.
- Travel protections. You’ll receive access to a variety of purchase and travel protections, including baggage delay insurance, trip cancellation or interruption insurance, trip delay reimbursement, auto rental collision damage waiver insurance, roadside assistance and purchase protection.
- Incoming Pay Yourself Back benefits. Though not yet implemented, soon Aeroplan cardholders can apply Aeroplan points toward any travel purchases at a value of 1.25 cents per point on up to 50,000 points per year.
Aeroplan® Credit Card drawbacks
- No intro APR. This card lacks a 0% intro APR on purchases or balance transfers.
- Annual fee. You’ll need to pay an annual fee of $95 to use this card. Thankfully, this isn’t a huge deal since the card’s perks more than make up for this fee in value.
Compare travel credit cards
If this card isn’t right for you, compare other travel cards on the market. Use our table to select up to four cards and hit Compare to see their features side by side.
Aeroplan® Credit Card customer reviews and complaints
The Aeroplan® Credit Card hasn’t yet garnered any customer reviews since the card has only recently launched.
Chase is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau but has received a C+ rating from the organization as of December 2021. Chase possesses a 1.6 out of 5 customer rating on Trustpilot, with several complaints noting poor customer service and unwarranted fees.
The Aeroplan® Credit Card is a terrific, albeit niche, airline card and a solid pick for Air Canada flyers thanks to its travel perks and excellent welcome offer. Stiff competition from Chase’s other flexible travel cards however means that only the most dedicated Air Canada travelers will most benefit. If Air Canada isn’t a viable option for your travels, you should compare more travel cards to find one that best fits your needs.