For business owners and seasoned travelers who want to enjoy the comfort and luxury of business travels.
- Get this card if you’re a business owner who spends thousands of dollars on business travel and wants luxury travel benefits.
- Pick something else if you want higher cashback rewards on all purchases or an intro APR on purchases or balance transfers.
- Apply with good or excellent credit of 670 or higher.
|Product Name||The Business Platinum® Card from American Express|
|Card type||American Express|
|Standard purchase APR||None (Charge Card)|
|Intro purchase APR|
|Intro balance transfer APR|
|Penalty APR||29.99% variable|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
|Late payment fee||Up to $39|
|Late payment fee conditions||$38 or 2.99% of any past due pay in full amount, whichever is greater.|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $39|
|Rates & fees||rates & fees|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||50,000 points after spending $10,000 and 35,000 points after spending an additional $10,000 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||5x points on flights and prepaid hotels through Amex Travel, 1.5x points if you spend $5,000 on a single eligible purchase on up to 1 million additional points per year and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Base Rewards||1x points|
The basicsThe Business Platinum® Card from American Express is aimed at business owners who spend thousands of dollars a month on air travel and are looking to use the luxury benefits this card offers. Considering the card’s $595 annual fee (see rates & fees), it might not be ideal for your employees, unless they too spend hefty sums on traveling expenses.
With this card, you get access to more than 1,200 airport lounges in 130 countries, concierge services and benefits when booking through American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts. You can also upgrade to Gold Elite status with the Marriott Bonvoy program or Hilton Honors without meeting stay requirements, and you get preferred access to entertainment perks like ticket presales and premium seats for cultural and sporting events.
Because it’s a hybrid credit–charge card, there’s no APR on purchases or balance transfer. This means you must pay your statement balance in full each month. If you need more time to pay off your balances, look into American Express’s Pay Over Time, a feature that allows you to pay for specific purchases over time with interest.
This card is designed for large spenders, requiring a high spending ceiling to reach the welcome offer’s requirements. To earn 50,000 membership rewards points, you must spend $10,000 on purchases in the first 3 months after opening your account. You’ll earn another 35,000 points when you spent an additional $10,000 on qualifying purchases within the same period. Redeem your points on travel purchases, statement credit or shopping.
For more ways to earn membership points, pay for flights and prepay for hotels through American Express Travel. Doing so will earn you 5x points for every $1 spent.
If you spend more than $5,000 on a single eligible purchase, you get 1.5x membership points per dollar — up to 1 million points per year. On all other purchases, you earn 1x membership points.
After you spend $10,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open, you’ll earn 50,000 membership points. When you spend another $10,000 in the same period, you’ll earn another 35,000 points.
American Express Global Lounge Collection.
Access more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries — including the Centurion Lounge and International American Express lounges — and to Delta Sky Club when flying Delta. You’ll also get access to Priority Pass Select lounges, Airspace lounges and Escape lounges after you enroll.
Every dollar spent on flights and prepaid hotels through American Express Travel earns you 5x membership rewards points. You’ll earn 1x membership rewards points per $1 on every other purchase you make. And if you spend $5,000 on a single eligible purchase, you’ll get 1.5 membership rewards points for every dollar on up to 1 million additional points per year. Redeem these points on statement credit, gift cards, travel or shopping.
How much are American Express Membership Rewards points worth?
Through American Express Membership Rewards, 50,000 points are worth:
- $250–$500 in gift cards.
- $250–$350 for shopping at Membership Rewards partner retailers, including Amazon, Newegg, BestBuy and Staples.
- $250–$500 for traveling costs such as flight tickets, hotels, cruises and purchases through Expedia.
- $350–$500 for point-of-sale transactions with New York taxis and at Rite Aid.
- $500 for Uber rides.
- $250 for entertainment purchases through Ticketmaster and AXS.
- $250–$500 if you donate to charity.
How to get the most out of your membership reward points?
The program offers many ways to earn and redeem your points. Say you spend $10,000 on flights and hotels through American Express Travel, earning 50,000 points. You can redeem these points for a $500 reward, effectively getting 5% back — which is the highest value you can get out of this card.
Redeeming the same number of points for a $250 reward is equivalent to getting 2.5% back.
For all other purchases, you get 1 membership reward point per $1 spent. Which means that same $10,000 spent earns you only 10,000 points. You can redeem 10,000 points for rewards valued from $50 to $100, resulting in a value of 0.5% to 1% of what you spent to get them.
To make the most of your membership rewards points, consider booking as many flights and hotels as you can through American Express Travel. You can then redeem these points for the high-value rewards for a potential 5% reward rate.
You’ll also like
Airline fee credit and bonus.
The card rewards you with a $200 airline fee credit annually to use toward any incidental air travel fees. And when you use your Membership Rewards points to pay for all or part of an eligible fare, you’ll receive 35% of those points back, with a limit of 500,000 points per calendar year. This is valid for any fare on a qualifying airline of your choice, and for any first- or business-class with any airline available on American Express Travel.
The card comes with complimentary services to help with many aspects of your business life, like arranging lunch meetings, landing concert tickets for your clients, booking transportation and more.
Fine Hotels & Resorts benefits.
Get a room upgrade when available, daily breakfast for two, guaranteed 4 p.m. checkout and noon check-in when available, complimentary Wi-Fi, an amenity such as food and beverage credit or a one-way private sedan transfer.
Marriott Bonvoy benefits.
Upgrade to Gold Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program without meeting any stay requirements. To upgrade, you must request enrollment with the program. You’ll maintain your Gold Elite status as long as you remain an eligible American Express cardmember, or until American Express notifies you that your status is terminated.
Hilton Honors Gold benefits.
As a Business Platinum card member, you’re eligible to enroll in complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status without meeting any stay requirements. Benefits include free breakfast and Wi-Fi and the ability to choose or upgrade your room at Waldorf Astoria Hotels Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio by Hilton and DoubleTree by Hilton. In addition to earning more Hilton Honors Bonus Points on your stays, you can also earn a complimentary night free on standard room reward stays of five nights or more.
Preferred seating program.
Cardholders can access premium seats at selected cultural and sporting events.
Global dining collection.
With this card, you get access to reservations and extraordinary services at select restaurants and the opportunity to meet your favorite chefs at culinary events.
No foreign transaction fees.
When traveling abroad, spend however much you want and pay no fees for international transactions.
Travel accident insurance.
Enjoy up to $500,000 in travel and car rental protection, as well as as baggage insurance up to $3,000.
Premium roadside and global assistance.
Call a 24/7 hotline for help on the road, whether that’s changing a tire, getting a tow or charging your battery. Amex pays for the service up to four times per year. You also have access to 24/7 medical, legal, financial or other emergency service when traveling more than 100 miles from home.
What to watch out for
High annual fee.
Luxury benefits come with a high price. In this case, a $595 annual fee.
No purchase or balance transfer APR.The Business Platinum® Card from American Express is a hybrid credit–charge card, meaning you must pay your balances in full. If you’re enrolled in Pay Over Time, you’ll have the option to carry a balance on your card and you’ll pay interest on the balance.
Compare business credit cards
What size business is The Business Platinum® Card from American Express good for?
This card is well suited for owners of small to midsize businesses who fly frequently and want to enjoy luxury travel benefits while earning membership rewards points.
You’ll make the most of this card if you book your flights and hotels through American Express Travel, where you’ll earn 5 membership points per dollar. This allows you to redeem your points for rewards valued from 2.5% to 5% of what you spent.
If you spend $20,000 or more monthly on business travel, you could potentially earn membership rewards points at a value of up to $12,000 a year. High redemption could then justify the $595 annual fee.
Best business credit cards with high limits
What should I know before I apply?
When you apply for The Business Platinum® Card from American Express, you’ll provide information about yourself and your business that includes:
- Your business name and address.
- Your company’s years in business and industry.
- Company structure and number of employees.
- Your annual revenue and monthly spending.
- Your Federal Tax ID or Employment Identification Number.
- Your personal information, including your annual income.
How do I apply for The Business Platinum® Card from American Express?
- Click apply now.
- Select The Business Platinum® Card from American Express from the list and click Apply.
- Complete the application form with required information about your business and the cardholder.
- Review your application’s details and submit it.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional credit card approval is automated on the website, you can get a decision on your application within minutes. If more information is required, you might have to wait a few weeks. On approval, you’ll receive your new card in three to four business days through UPS.
I got the card. Now what?
- Select a qualifying airline for statement credit. Get up to $200 each year in statement credit for such incidental fees as checked bags and flight change fees on one qualifying airline.
- Select a qualifying airline to get 35% of your points back. When you pay for all or part of your flight on a qualifying airline with membership rewards points, you get 35% of your points back — up to 500,000 points per calendar year.
- Enroll for Priority Pass Select. After enrolling, you’ll receive a Priority Pass Select card that unlocks access to airline lounges worldwide.
- Enroll in the Marriott Bonvoy program. Use your card to enjoy late checkout, room upgrades and other benefits.
- Enroll for Hilton Honors Gold status. Hilton Honors Gold members get such benefits as room choice and and upgrades, a complimentary night on standard room reward stays of five nights or more, free Wi-Fi and other benefits.
- Activate Gogo® inflight Internet. Get 10 complimentary Internet passes a year for Gogo-equipped flights.
- Manage your account online. Keep track of spending, set up autopay and sign up for alerts to avoid late payments. You can also manage your expenses through Spend Manager, integrating your data directly with QuickBooks.
- Customer service. If you have questions, call American Express’s 24/7 customer service at 1-800-528-4800.
Bottom lineThe Business Platinum® Card from American Express offers a premium travel experience to businesses that seek luxury benefits. You’ll get complimentary access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, 24/7 concierge services and complimentary support when booking through Fine Hotels & Resorts. You can also upgrade to Gold status with the Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors loyalty programs without meeting minimum stay requirements.
Not the card for you? Compare more business credit cards
Frequently asked questions