The Business Platinum Card® from American Express review
This premium card's travel and business perks far outweigh its substantial annual fee.
finder.com’s rating: 4.4 / 5
- Get this card if you’re a business owner who spends thousands of dollars on business travel and wants luxury travel benefits befitting of your spending.
- Pick something else if you want to earn higher cash back on more than just travel, or if you need an intro APR to invest in your business.
- Apply with good or excellent credit of 670 or higher.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.All information about this card has been collected independently and application links are currently unavailable on Finder.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 5x
Recommended credit score
|Welcome offer||120,000 points after spending $15,000 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||5x points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com, 1.5x points on eligible purchases at U.S. construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million per calendar year. 1x points on other eligible purchases|
|Purchase APR||17.24% to 25.24% variable APR for Pay Over Time Feature|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a cryptocurrency and investments writer who has written over 700 articles to help readers find and compare the best financial options. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange and stock market trading.
The premier business card counterpart to Amex’s premium consumer card, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is aimed at business owners who spend thousands of dollars a month on air travel and want to earn back on their purchases with complimentary luxury perks and features.
The card comes with a $695 annual fee, features up to 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels booked through Amex Travel, 1.5x points on eligible purchases at U.S. construction material and hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers, shipping providers, software and cloud system providers, and purchases that cost $5,000 or more on up to $2 million in purchases a year. For all other eligible purchases, you’ll earn 1x points. The card also comes with a 120,000-point welcome offer after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases within your first 3 months.
Amex has given the card’s features a fresh new coat of paint, restructuring the card’s earning rate and credits, in addition to introducing new ones entirely. The card now earns 1.5x points on select business categories for example in addition to purchases of $5,000 or more. In addition to the card’s $200 airline fee credit, you can also enroll into several other credit opportunities, including statement credits for Dell, Indeed and Adobe.
Of course, this is a luxury card. The catch is you’ll pay a staggering $695 annual fee to use this card. But this is scarcely an issue if you frequently travel for business: the airline fee statement credit effectively earns back up to $200 of that annual fee and the other perks such as the hotel elite statuses are worth more than a thousand dollars on their own thanks to the individual perks of those program. In short: there are few if any business credit cards on the market that can come close to the sheer combination of luxury and value this card offers.
While taking full advantage of the card’s rewards rates requires heavy spending, you don’t have to be a huge spender or even a huge business to take advantage of this card’s massive feature-set. If you’re looking to travel for business in style, this card should be high on your list.
How do I apply for The Business Platinum Card® from American Express?
Because conditional credit card approval is automated on the website, you can get a decision on your application within minutes. If more information is required, you might have to wait a few weeks. On approval, you’ll receive your new card in three to four business days through UPS.
- Go to the provider's site and select Apply now.
- Select The Business Platinum Card® from American Express from the list and click Apply.
- Complete the application form with required information about your business and the cardholder.
- Review your application’s details and submit it.
What should I know before I apply?
When you apply for The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll provide information about yourself and your business that includes:
- Your business name and address.
- Your company’s years in business and industry.
- Company structure and number of employees.
- Your annual revenue and monthly spending.
- Your Federal Tax ID or Employment Identification Number.
- Your personal information, including your annual income.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express benefits
- Welcome offer. After you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open, you’ll earn 120,000 membership points.
- Membership rewards. Every dollar spent on flights and prepaid hotels through American Express Travel earns you 5x membership rewards points. The card also earns 1.5x points on several business purchases, including U.S. construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers, software and cloud system providers, shipping providers, and single eligible purchases of $5,000 or more, on up to $2 million in purchases each calendar year. For all other eligible purchases, you’ll earn 1x points. Redeem these points on statement credit, gift cards, travel or shopping.
- American Express Global Lounge Collection. Access more than 1,400 airport lounges across 130 countries — including the Centurion Lounge and International American Express lounges — and to Delta Sky Club when flying Delta. You’ll also get access to Priority Pass Select lounges, Airspace lounges and Escape lounges after you enroll. This is one of the largest selection of lounges available on a credit card as of January 2022.
- Airline fee credit and bonus. When you enroll with one eligible airline, the card rewards you up to $200 in airline fee statement credits annually for incidental air travel fees.
- Enroll for statement credits. You can enroll to earn a variety of valuable statement credits each calendar year, including up to $200 in twice per calendar year with Dell Technologies, $360 with Indeed ($90 per quarter) and $150 with Adobe.
- Annual CLEAR® credit. Pay with your CLEAR® membership with your card and you can receive up to $189 back per year.
- Concierge services. The card comes with complimentary services to help with many aspects of your business life, like arranging lunch meetings, landing concert tickets for your clients, booking transportation and more.
- Fine Hotels & Resorts benefits. Get a room upgrade when available, daily breakfast for two, guaranteed 4 p.m. checkout and noon check-in when available, complimentary Wi-Fi, an amenity such as food and beverage credit or a one-way private sedan transfer.
- Marriott Bonvoy benefits. Upgrade to Gold Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy® program without meeting any stay requirements. To upgrade, you must request enrollment with the program. You’ll maintain your Gold Elite status as long as you remain an eligible American Express cardmember, or until American Express notifies you that your status is terminated.
- Hilton Honors Gold benefits. As a Business Platinum card member, you’re eligible to enroll in complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status without meeting any stay requirements. Benefits include free breakfast and Wi-Fi and the ability to choose or upgrade your room at Waldorf Astoria Hotels Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio by Hilton and DoubleTree by Hilton. In addition to earning more Hilton Honors Bonus Points on your stays, you can also earn a complimentary night free on standard room reward stays of five nights or more.
- Preferred seating program. Cardholders can access premium seats at selected cultural and sporting events.
- Global dining collection. With this card, you get access to reservations and extraordinary services at select restaurants and the opportunity to meet your favorite chefs at culinary events.
- No foreign transaction fees. When traveling abroad, spend however much you want and pay no fees for international transactions.
- Travel accident insurance. Enjoy up to $500,000 in travel and car rental protection, as well as as baggage insurance up to $3,000.
- Premium roadside and global assistance. Call a 24/7 hotline for help on the road, whether that’s changing a tire, getting a tow or charging your battery. Amex pays for the service up to four times per year. You also have access to 24/7 medical, legal, financial or other emergency service when traveling more than 100 miles from home.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express drawbacks
- High annual fee. Luxury benefits come with a high price. In this case, a $695 annual fee. Note that this is only an issue if you don’t take advantage of the card’s various perks and statement credits.
- Not all purchases qualify for Pay Over Time. Purchases that don’t qualify for Pay Over Time must be paid in full at the end of each billing cycle.
Compare business credit cards
Want to know how this card stacks up against other business cards on the market? Select up to four credit cards to start comparing, or check out our best business rewards cards for some of our favorite picks.
What size business is The Business Platinum Card® from American Express good for?
This card is well suited for nearly all sizes of businesses thanks to the generous travel perks offered through the card. Larger businesses may stand to benefit more than others from the 1.5x point bonus on purchases greater than $5,000.
Regardless of business size, you’ll make the most of this card if you book your flights and hotels through American Express Travel, where you’ll earn 5 membership points per dollar. This allows you to redeem your points for rewards valued from 2.5% to 5% of what you spent.
I got the card. Now what?
- Select a qualifying airline for statement credit. Get up to $200 each year in statement credit for such incidental fees as checked bags and flight change fees on one qualifying airline.
- Select a qualifying airline to get 35% of your points back. When you pay for all or part of your flight on a qualifying airline with membership rewards points, you get 35% of your points back — up to 500,000 points per calendar year.
- Enroll for Priority Pass Select. After enrolling, you’ll receive a Priority Pass Select card that unlocks access to airline lounges worldwide.
- Enroll in the Marriott Bonvoy® program. Use your card to enjoy late checkout, room upgrades and other benefits.
- Enroll for Hilton Honors Gold status. Hilton Honors Gold members get such benefits as room choice and and upgrades, a complimentary night on standard room reward stays of five nights or more, free Wi-Fi and other benefits.
- Activate Gogo® inflight Internet. Get 10 complimentary Internet passes a year for Gogo-equipped flights.
- Manage your account online. Keep track of spending, set up autopay and sign up for alerts to avoid late payments. You can also manage your expenses through the American Express® Business App, integrating your data directly with QuickBooks.
- Customer service. If you have questions, call American Express’s 24/7 customer service at 1-800-528-4800.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express reviews and complaints
American Express has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 1948 and earns an A+ score from the bureau as of August 2021. Of the 3,000+ complaints, all have been closed, with many complaints concerning billing issues.
Amex currently sports a 1.9 out of 5 stars from TrustPilot as of August 2021, with customer complaints often citing poor or unclear customer service.
Bottom lineThe Business Platinum Card® from American Express offers a premium travel experience to businesses that seek luxury benefits. You’ll get complimentary access to more than 1,400 airport lounges across 140 countries, 24/7 concierge services and complimentary support when booking through Fine Hotels & Resorts. You can also enroll to upgrade to Gold status with the Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors loyalty programs without meeting minimum stay requirements.
Is this not the card for you? Compare more business credit cards to find the right fit.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: What’s changed?
|01/13/2022||Old: Get 5X Membership Rewards points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com. Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases in key business categories, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else. Cap applies.||New: Get 5X Membership Rewards points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com, and 1X points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases. Earn 1.5X points on eligible purchases at U.S. construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year.||Old: $595 annual fee.||New: $$695 annual fee.|
Compare The Business Platinum Card® from American Express with other cards
How we determined the value of Amex Membership Rewards points
To determine the average value of an Amex Membership Rewards point, we looked at the equivalent dollar value a redemption option would cost in the Amex Membership Rewards program. We calculated this average across all redemption options available through Amex to reach the approximate value you can expect when redeeming these points on average. In this case, the average value of a single Membership Rewards point came out to 2 cents per point.
Remember that your points could be worth more or less depending on what you redeem them on, so this value should be used as a general guide.
Editorial note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
Insurance benefit note: Eligibility and benefit level varies by card. Terms, conditions and limitations apply. Please visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for more details. Underwritten by Amex Assurance Company.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.