Use your phone to withdraw cash from ATMs when you don’t have your debit card.
Some of the top banks have found a way to make accessing your cash even easier. With secure apps installed on your mobile phone, you can access your digital wallet to withdraw the money from an ATM. Your phone is already at your fingertips – now your cash will be too.
What are cardless ATMs and how do they work?
Cardless cash works by providing you with a unique code that you enter into an ATM to withdraw cash when you don’t have your card. This is beneficial if you’re on a run, at the beach, at an amusement park or anywhere else you don’t want to carry a card. You can even share your code with friends or family members so they can withdraw money when you’re not there.
Popular accounts with cardless ATM access
As this feature becomes more common in the US, it’s important to compare your options and consider features related to cardless ATMs.
|Bank||App||OS||ATM network||Compatible accounts||Security features|
|Bank of America||Android Pay||Cardless ATM nationwide locations indicated by a contactless symbol near the card reader.||Consumer debit cards, U.S. trust debit cards, small business debit cards (owner card only)||PIN|
|Wells Fargo||Wells Fargo Mobile – Card-Free Access||You can use your code at any Wells Fargo ATM. Pinpad only available at Wells Fargo teller PIN pads that display the contactless symbol.||Wells Fargo debit and Wells Fargo EasyPay cards||PIN/ATM Access Code|
|Chase||Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay mobile wallet||Cardless ATM access is currently available on Chase ATMs where you see a cardless symbol.||Consumer debit cards (excluding CPC Privileges card), business debit cards (excluding Business Associate cards) and Chase Liquid cards||PIN|
|Capital One||CashTapp||CashTapp is currently available for Capital One 360 Checking customers in these cities:
Check out the app for specific ATM locations.
|360 Checking account||None. Once you’ve scheduled your withdrawal, head to the ATM and sign in to CashTapp. Then, move your phone close to the ATM’s CashTapp sticker.|
|Fifth Third Bank||Fifth Third mobile banking app||Fifth Third operates approximately 2,500 ATMs in its 10-state retail footprint, all of which will offer card-free access.||N/A||PIN|
|PayPal||Paydiant||72,000 ATM locations across the US||N/A||QR code|
Common questions about cardless ATMs
How do banks ensure cardless cash transactions are secure?
You want to ensure that your money is protected. Test the relevant app and check what security measures are in place to ensure that no one else can use the app to gain access to your account.
How easy is it to use the app?
It is hard to beat the ease of sliding a card into a machine, entering a code and pulling out your cash. With an app, you want to make sure that the process is just as simple.
How extensive is the ATM network?
Check to see how extensive the ATM network is for each bank. Since this app requires some pre-planning, you don’t want to get your code and then have no ATM to use it at. Also, you need to use an ATM that offers this feature.
Does your device work with the app?
The app will have to work on your current mobile device. For example, NAB Pay is only available for eligible Android devices. Look carefully at the specifications when making your comparisons.
Check to see if you can nominate someone else to pick up the cash on your behalf. In some cases, you just need to provide the app with the appropriate person’s mobile phone number.
Are there limits on cardless cash withdrawals?
You may be limited to the amount of money you can withdraw daily from your account.
Is a time limit applied?
As an added security measure, check to see how long the code is valid after receiving it. Some banks only keep the code valid for 30 minutes.
What are the benefits of using cardless cash?
- The convenience of traveling light. With cardless cash, you have the ability to travel light when the occasion calls for it.
- In cases of emergencies. You can continue to access your cash even if you’ve left your wallet at home.
- You can share it with your trusted family and friends. This makes it easier to give family members limited access to the account when they need it. Rather than paying for extra debit cards or worrying about how much they withdraw, you can control their spending by using the app.
- No additional costs for using it. The app works the same as a debit card when withdrawing money. As long as you’re using ATMs in your bank’s network, you should not be charged any additional fees.
- Increased security. In some ways, the app provides more security as the code is for one use only, rather than a debit card which prompts you for the same code each time you use it.
What are the drawbacks of using cardless cash?
- Only available with a few bank accounts. Right now, only select banks in the US offer this feature with their accounts, limiting your choices when making comparisons.
- If the ATM network is down, you will not be able to use the code to withdraw money until it is up and running again.
Security tips when using cardless cash
With any product or device that provides access to your money, either on or offline, you need to be careful about its security. To best protect your money when using cardless cash, avoid the following:
- Protect your online banking details
Never share the password to your online bank account. With the password, people could gain access to your cardless cash details and make withdrawals without your consent.
- Monitor suspicious transactions on your account
Although banks take precautions to protect your information, there is always the possibility of a hack. If you notice unauthorized withdrawals from your account using cardless cash, notify the bank immediately.