Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Amex Trifecta: the optimal combination of American Express cards
Maximize rewards on everyday purchases with three cards.
Updated . What changed?
Each American Express card comes with its own perks and benefits. If you combine some of them, you can easily offset the annual fees, earn maximum rewards and enjoy additional benefits. But don’t apply for all cards at once. This could cause Amex to reject your application and it could hurt your credit score.
What’s the Amex trifecta?
The Amex trifecta is a combination of three American Express cards with membership rewards. Each card complements each other, allowing you to earn the highest rewards on your purchases. The cards that make the Amex trifecta are:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- American Express® Gold Card
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
Amex trifecta overview
|The Platinum Card® from American Express||American Express® Gold Card||The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express|
|Welcome offer||Earn up to $300 in statement credit — $100 each at Dell Technologies, DocuSign or FedEx after you make a purchase in the first 3 months of card membership.|
|Annual fee||$550 (see rates & fees)||$250 (see rates & fees)||$0 (see rates & fees)|
Who can get the American Express business card?
Anyone who owns an LLC business, or who is a sole proprietor, can apply for the Amex business credit card. If you think this doesn’t apply to you, think again — almost anyone can qualify as a sole proprietor, including freelancers, IT consultants and Amazon sellers. When you fill out the application, you can:
- Use your personal name as your business name
- Use your personal address and phone number as your business address and phone number
- Select other in the industry type field if you can’t find your business in the list
- Select sole proprietorship as your business structure if that’s what your business is
- Be honest about how long your company has been active
- Select one employee if you don’t have others
- Use your Social Security number for your federal tax ID
How much can you earn with Amex trifecta?
|The Platinum Card® from American Express||American Express® Gold Card||The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express||Points earned|
With annual spending similar to our example, you would earn 90,000 points each year, not counting the welcome offers for the first year. This is a value of up to $900, which is enough to pay the annual fee for both the American Express® Gold Card and The Platinum Card® from American Express and get $100 on top.
If you use the fee credits and the cards’ benefits, you’ll get an additional value of more than $1,300.
Compare Amex trifecta credit cards
How to maximize Amex trifecta
To make the most of your Amex trifecta cards, here’s what you need to do:
- Use the right card for the right purchases. Each card earns accelerated points on select categories. Make sure to:
- Use The Platinum Card® from American Express for hotel and airline purchases.
- Use the American Express® Gold Card at US supermarkets and restaurants worldwide.
- Use The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express on all other purchases.
- Earn the welcome offer. All three cards come with generous welcome offers. If you clear it, you can earn rewards points worth more than $1,400.
- Use the fee credits. You get a total of $800 credits to use at hotels, airlines, dining and Uber rides, plus benefits worth $550. Make sure you use them to offset the annual fee.
- Use the intro APR period. The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express is the only credit card with a 0% intro APR period on purchases. If you’re looking to make a large purchase and pay it off for up to a year without interest, use this card.
Combining the three American Express cards: The Platinum Card® from American Express, American Express® Gold Card and The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express can be an excellent strategy to maximize your rewards, especially if you spend money on airfare, hotels, dining worldwide and at US supermarkets. Plus, you get other generous perks that can make this card combination even more valuable.
However, if you think this card combination won’t work for you, compare other credit cards and make your own trifecta.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert