Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
What are Amex Offers? How to use this shopping program
Activate complimentary offers to earn cash back or membership points.
The Amex Offers program is a benefit available on certain Amex cards that lets you earn additional membership points or cash back on select purchases. These offers can include dining, shopping and travel merchants, and are separate bonuses from the rewards you might receive on these purchases already with your rewards card.
How do I activate Amex Offers?
The Amex Offers program itself requires no activation, though the individual offers you’ll find through Amex Offers do need to be activated to apply to your card. You simply need to log in to your American Express account online or through Amex Mobile app, search for active offers and click “Add” to use it. Here’s a quick breakdown:
- Log on to your American Express account.
- Scroll down to Amex offers and benefits.
- Here you’ll see a window with a listing of available offers for your Amex card. The details of the offer should be listed here as well, including savings and expiration date.
- Click Add to card to activate this offer.
- Once you’ve activated the offer, you can simply make the requisite purchase using your credit card.
- If you’re using the Amex Mobile app, you’ll find these offers at the Offers section near the bottom of the app main page. Select an offer you find appealing and click Add to card to activate.
Can I use offers online?
Yes, you can use most offers online. However, make sure you read the offer’s terms as some can only be used online or offline.
Which credit cards can I use?
You can use any American Express issued personal or business credit cards. Cards that aren’t supported by Amex Offers are American Express corporate cards, American Express gift cards and prepaid cards.
How long do offers last?
Amex Offers can last up to a few months or until you use the offer.
What types of offers will I find with Amex Offers program?
Here’s a list of the latest The Platinum Card® from American Express offers as of February 2021. Please note: these offers are for existing Amex Platinum cardholders. If you sign up for the Amex Platinum, you may not have access to these specific offers. The offers below are to serve as an example of the type of offers you might expect as a cardholder. To gain access to your offers, you’ll need to enroll in Amex Offers after logging into your account.
- Avis Car Rental. Earn up to $75 back, up to two times, after you spend $250 or more on eligible purchases.
- BestBuy.com. Earn up to $50 back, up to two times, after you spend $50 or more on eligible purchases at the site.
- Goldbelly. Earn up to $50, up to three times, after you spend $100 or more on eligible purchases.
- Home Chef. Earn up to $50 after you spend $50 or more on eligible purchases.
- HomeDepot.com. Earn up to $50, up to two times, after you spend $50 or more on eligible purchases.
- Instacart. Earn up to $50, up to two times, after you spend $250 or more on eligible purchases.
- Samsung. Earn up to $200 back after you spend $1,000 or more on eligible purchases.
- Scribd. Earn up to $9.99 back, up to five times, after you spend $9.99 or more on eligible purchases.
- The Container Store. Ear up to $50 back, up to two times, after you spend $150 or more on eligible purchases.
- Virtual Personal Training by Equinox. Earn up to $130 back, up to five times, when you spend $780 or more on eligible purchases.
- Wine Insiders. Earn up to $30 back, up to two times, after you spend $30 or more on eligible purchases.
How to maximize Amex Offers program earnings
- Use the right card. Make sure you add the offer to the right card to earn additional cash back or membership points on your purchase.
- Buy gift cards. Sometimes you could get an offer for a store that sells gift cards. Just make sure gift cards are an eligible purchase for the offer.
- Potentially stack rewards. Add a retailer offer to your card and if the same retailer is available through a rebates website, make the purchase through the website to potentially earn additional cash back. For more information, call American Express at 800-528-4800.
What are the drawbacks?
- Offer activation. You’ll only earn additional cash back or membership points if you activate your chosen offer.
- Offer expiration. Add your chosen offer to your card and use it before the offer expires
- Offer limitations. Each offer can be used only once and with one card. If you add an offer you like to one card, you won’t be able to add it to another.
- Offers vary. You never know which offers will appear on your list. Also, Amex Offers vary between cards and cardholders.
- Watch the offer’s terms. Read the offer’s terms to know whether it can only be used online or if there’s a minimum spending requirement. For example, some hotels may require you to spend more than $350 to earn $70 back.
- Late reward crediting. Once you make the purchase, expect to receive the statement credit in up to 90 days after the end of the offer period. The waiting time is longer compared to competitor programs where you get the statement credit in up to 14 days.
Amex Offers is an excellent way to save money on some of your purchases. For every offer you activate and redeem, you earn cash back or membership points.
But this is not the only offers program available. Check out credit card offers and compare your options until you find the perfect fit for you.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
HMBradley account review
HMBradley is a hybrid checking and savings account that earns up to 3.0% APY.
How to avoid Wells Fargo account fees
Here’s a breakdown of Wells Fargo’s common account fees and how to avoid them.
Mutual fund expense ratios: How they work and why they matter
These pesky fees can eat into your bottom line: here’s how to identify them.
Oxygen personal bank account
Access your cash from any network ATM and earn cashback on your debit card purchases from approved retailers.
Upgrade Rewards Checking review
The free Upgrade Rewards Checking account offers 2% cashback, but you can’t deposit checks.
Cheese Rewards Checking review
A digital bank built for Asian-Americans. Earns up to 10% cash back and up to 3% APY.
What is Yearn Finance?
Learn how to use DeFi aggregator Yearn Finance to earn interest on your cryptocurrency.
How to stake Ethereum
Learn how to earn ETH coins by locking up ETH with this guide.
Emergency fund: What it is and how to build one
This type of savings account can save you from a lot of financial stress and anxiety.
Fidelity Cash Management account review
Fidelity’s cash management account lets you avoid unlimited ATM fees, but it earns little interest.
Ask an Expert