Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
What are Amex Offers? How to use this shopping program
Activate complimentary offers to earn cash back or membership points.
Updated . What changed?
The Amex Offers program is a benefit available on certain Amex cards that lets you earn additional membership points or cash back on select purchases. These offers can include dining, shopping and travel merchants, and are separate bonuses from the rewards you might receive on these purchases already with your rewards card.
How do I activate Amex Offers?
The Amex Offers program requires no activation. Instead, you simply need to log in to your American Express account online or through Amex Mobile app and search for active offers. Here’s a quick breakdown:
- Log on to your American Express account.
- Scroll down to Amex offers and benefits.
- Here you’ll see a window with a listing of available offers for your Amex card. The details of the offer should be listed here as well, including savings and expiration date.
- Click Add to card to activate this offer.
- Once you’ve activated the offer, you can simply make the requisite purchase using your credit card.
- If you’re using the Amex Mobile app, you’ll find these offers at the Offers section near the bottom of the app main page. Select an offer you find appealing and click Add to card to activate.
Can I use offers online?
Yes, you can use most offers online. However, make sure you read the offer’s terms as some can only be used online or offline.
Which credit cards can I use?
You can use any American Express issued personal or business credit cards. Cards that aren’t supported by Amex Offers are American Express corporate cards, American Express gift cards and prepaid cards.
How long do offers last?
Amex Offers can last up to a few months or until you use the offer.
What types of offers will I find with Amex Offers program?
American Express offers deals on dining, shopping, travel and more. Here are just a few examples we found at the time of this writing while perusing the offers program:
- Spend $1,000 on Hilton brand hotels in Hawaii and get $200 back
- Spend $500 or more on Hilton brand hotels in Mexico and get $75 back
- Spend $500 on World’s Leading Cruise Lines and get $100 back
- Spend $125 or more at The Palm Restaurant and get $25 back
- Spend $125 or more at Oakley.com and get $25 back (up to two times)
- Spend $125 or more at Touch of Modern and get $25 back
- Spend $50 or more at BobbiBrown.com and get $10 back
How to maximize Amex Offers program earnings
- Use the right card. Make sure you add the offer to the right card to earn additional cash back or membership points on your purchase.
- Buy gift cards. Sometimes you could get an offer for a store that sells gift cards. Just make sure gift cards are an eligible purchase for the offer.
- Potentially stack rewards. Add a retailer offer to your card and if the same retailer is available through a rebates website, make the purchase through the website to potentially earn additional cash back. For more information, call American Express at 800-528-4800.
What are the drawbacks?
- Offer activation. You’ll only earn additional cash back or membership points if you activate your chosen offer.
- Offer expiration. Add your chosen offer to your card and use it before the offer expires
- Offer limitations. Each offer can be used only once and with one card. If you add an offer you like to one card, you won’t be able to add it to another.
- Offers vary. You never know which offers will appear on your list. Also, Amex Offers vary between cards and cardholders.
- Watch the offer’s terms. Read the offer’s terms to know whether it can only be used online or if there’s a minimum spending requirement. For example, some hotels may require you to spend more than $350 to earn $70 back.
- Late reward crediting. Once you make the purchase, expect to receive the statement credit in up to 90 days after the end of the offer period. The waiting time is longer compared to competitor programs where you get the statement credit in up to 14 days.
Compare credit cards with Amex offers
Amex Offers is an excellent way to save money on some of your purchases. For every offer you activate and redeem, you earn cash back or membership points.
But this is not the only offers program available. Check out credit card offers and compare your options until you find the perfect fit for you.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
OakStone Gold Secured Mastercard® review
Build credit with this secured credit card.
5% interest savings accounts in 2020
5% interest savings accounts do exist. But find out if they’re worth it here.
Do I qualify for unemployment?
Get the financial help you need as you search for a new job.
New Fifth Third Cash/Back Card offers unlimited 1.67% rewards
The new Fifth Third Bank credit card comes with no annual fee and an unlimited 1.67% cash back on all purchases.
A parent’s guide to divorce with children
How to navigate this delicate process when little humans are involved.
Amex makes waves with terrific new welcome offers
Amex now holds one of the highest welcome offers available.
Community Bank N.A. loans review
A relatively high-tech community bank with over 240 branches.
How much does health insurance cost?
Most working Americans pay around $1,489 in premiums each year. Compare costs now.
How to give during the holidays without breaking the bank
8 ways to give this December that won’t push you into debt.
What is trip cancellation insurance and how do I get it?
A safety net for interrupted or canceled trips.
Ask an Expert