Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card review
Make 30 or more purchases within a billing cycle to get the most value.
finder.com’s rating: 4.1 / 5
- Get this card if you can make frequent purchases with your card.
- Pick something else if you want to earn a higher rewards rate or if you don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 3x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 months (then 12.99% to 22.99% variable)
|Welcome offer||15,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||3x points at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 annually (then 1x), 2x points at US gas stations and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 12 months (then 12.99% to 22.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card offers bigger rewards for purchases at US gas stations and US supermarkets with its Membership Rewards points. Redeem these points for gift cards, event tickets and more. Best of all, you can use them to book flights, hotels and cruises through American Express Travel.
The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card comes with a few sweeteners. You’ll earn 15,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months. The card also has a 0% intro APR for 12 months on purchases, followed by an APR from 12.99% to 22.99% variable after that. Lastly, you’re rewarded for simply using your card: You’ll get 50% more points each billing cycle after using your card 30 times.
How to apply for the Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card?
- Go to the American Express website.
- Select the Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from the list of cards. Click Apply now.
- Complete the application form.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card?
The credit card approval is automated on the American Express website, meaning you can get a decision on your application within minutes. Following approval, you’ll typically receive your card within 7 to 10 days.
Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card benefits
- Welcome offer. Earn 15,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months.
- Membership Rewards points. Earn 3x points at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 in purchases each year, reverting to 1x points thereafter. You’ll also earn 2x points at US gas stations, 2x points when you book through American Express Travel and 1x points on other eligible purchases. Use your points for gift cards, flights, Ticketmaster purchases and more.
- Intro APR on purchases. Enjoy a 0% intro APR on purchases for the first 12 months after opening your account. The rate reverts to an APR from 12.99% to 22.99% variable after that. If you plan to make a large purchase, the intro APR period could be useful.
How much are American Express Membership Rewards points worth?
Membership Rewards points have different value depending on what you redeem them for. For example, 20,000 points are worth:
- $140–$200 in gift cards.
- $100–$140 for shopping at Membership Rewards partner retailers, such as Amazon, Newegg, BestBuy, Staples and more.
- $140 for hotels and flights through Expedia.
- $140–$200 for flights, hotels, cruises and other vacation packages through American Express Travel.
- $140–$200 for point-of-sale transactions with New York City taxis and at Rite Aid.
- $100 for entertainment purchases through Ticketmaster and AXS.
- $100–$200 if you donate to charity.
You can also transfer your points to a number of frequent traveler programs.
You’ll also like …
- Earn 50% more points. Make 30 or more purchases in a billing period and earn 50% more points on those purchases. If you’re a big spender and want to earn more points, you’ll find this perk useful.
- Car rental insurance. Enjoy car rental coverage against theft and damage when you pay for your rental with your card and decline the collision damage waiver at the agency counter.
- global assistance. Get 24/7 access to legal, medical, financial and other emergency assistance when traveling more than 100 miles from home. Keep in mind that you’ll have to pay for any third-party service costs.
- Purchase benefits. Get an extended warranty on eligible purchases along with return protection if you want to return an item within 90 days of purchase. You’ll also enjoy free two-day shipping at ShopRunner after you enroll and purchase protection against damage and theft of your phone or other eligible item — on up to $1,000.
- Fraud protection. American Express won’t hold you responsible for fraudulent charges. Call the number on the back of your card and the customer support will help you out.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card has an annual fee of $95.
- Foreign transaction fees. Despite the travel benefits you get with this card, try to refrain from making unnecessary purchases when traveling abroad, as you’ll pay a 2.7% fee for every transaction.
- Not widely accepted overseas. Amex cards aren’t as widely accepted overseas as Visa or Mastercard.
- High late payment fees. Making late or returned payments could saddle you with fees as high as $40. You could also get stuck with a penalty APR of 29.99% variable.
Compare top rewards credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Compare Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card with other cards
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old and a resident of the US.
In your application, you’ll have to provide:
- Your name and address.
- Your email and phone number.
- Your date of birth and Social Security Number.
- Your annual income and source of income.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply with a fair credit score in the low 600s. However, to get a high credit line and a lower APR on purchases, apply with a higher score. You’ll have a better chance of approval for the Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card reviews and complaints
The American Express Company has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 1948 and earns an overall A+ rating as of August 2021. However, 90% of its reviews are negative and it has nearly 3,400 customer complaints. Amex cardholders in general complain of rude customer service reps, missing statement credit and issues disputing charges.
The company earns a Trustpilot score of 1.9 out of 5 as of August 2021. Many negative reviews cite unhelpful customer service and inflexible company policies. Positive reviews say the company employs pleasant customer service representatives. Overall, your mileage may vary with American Express customer support.
I got the card. Now what?
- Set up autopay. Register an account on the American Express website or download the Amex mobile app. There, you can set up automatic payments so it’s one less thing you have to worry about.
- Enroll in ShopRunner. Enroll to get free 2-day shipping at more than 100 online retailers. And if you don’t like what you bought, you can return it for free.
- Avoid paying fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $40. You’ll also pay foreign transaction and cash advance fees.
- Contact customer support. If you have questions, call customer support at 1-800-528-4800. Alternatively, visit the American Express website to start an online chat with a customer service representative.
If you’re looking for rewards for grocery and gas spending at US retailers, pick the Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card. It gives you flexible Membership Rewards points that you can redeem on merchandise, travel and more.
Don’t spend that much on gas or don’t want to pay an annual fee? You may find the similar Amex EveryDay® Credit Card to be a better option.
As always, compare credit card providers to find the best one for your unique situation.
Frequently asked questions
- Does this card have a welcome offer?
Yes, once you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months of opening your account, you’ll earn 15,000 Membership Rewards points.
- If I qualify for the card’s welcome offer, when will I receive my Membership Rewards points?
You’ll receive your points six to eight weeks after you reach the spending threshold.
- Does this card have an annual fee?
Yes. The annual fee is $95.
- If I have a penalty APR, how long will it apply?
The penalty APR is applied for at least six months. If you pay your balances on time and have no returned payments within that period, American Express may lower your APR.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.