Pick the Amex EveryDay Preferred if you want increased points on gas and grocery spending.
We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
- Get this card if… you want points for gas and grocery spending.
- Pick something else if… you want cash back, or you don’t want to pay an annual fee.
Sometimes you want rewards points for the things you buy. The Amex EveryDay Preferred card offers more points on gas and groceries. Use these Membership Rewards points on gift cards, event tickets and the American Express Travel site.
|Product Name||Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card|
|Intro APR for Balance Transfer||0% Intro APR for 12 months (with whichever is greater, $5 or 3% balance transfer fee)|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||14.24% to 24.24% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||14.24% to 24.24% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.49% variable|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 25 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|2.7% of transaction value|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Over The Credit Line Fee||$0|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater|
|Rewards Program||American Express Rewards|
|Bonus Points on Sign-up||15,000|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (VISA/MC)||3|
The Amex EveryDay Preferred gives you bigger rewards for spending on groceries and gas with their Membership Rewards points. You can redeem these points for gift cards, event tickets and more. Best of all, you can use them to book flights, hotels and cruises with American Express Travel. If you prefer to use cash, you’ll earn 2x Membership Rewards Points.
The Amex EveryDay Preferred comes with a few sweeteners. You’ll earn 15,000 Membership Rewards points if you spend just $1,000 in the first three months. The card also has a 0%% intro APR for 12 months. Lastly, you’re rewarded for simply using your card — you’ll get 50% more points each billing cycle after using your card 30 times.
- SIGNUP BONUS: More Membership Rewards points. Earn 15,000 Membership Rewards points if you spend $1,000 in the first three months.
- INTRO APR: A solid 0% APR period. 0%% purchase APR for the first 12 months. balance transfer APR for the first 12 months (on balance transfers made within the first 60 days).
- POINTS: More points on groceries and gas. 3x points at US supermarkets. (up to $6,000 in purchases each calendar year, then 1x points) 2x points at US gas stations. 2x points when you book through American Express Travel. 1x points on other eligible purchases.
- More points the more you use your card. If you use your card at least 30 times per billing cycle, you’ll receive 50% more points.
- Transfer points. Transfer your Membership Rewards points to eligible frequent traveler programs.
You’ll also like…
- Use Membership Rewards points for some charges. For some types of spending, such as retail, dining and entertainment, you can pay for card charges with Membership Rewards points.
- Redeem Membership Rewards points. You can use your Membership Rewards points for gift cards, entertainment, merchandise, Ticketmaster purchases and more.
- Travel protection. You’ll have access to the American Express Global Assist Hotline and Roadside Assistance Hotline, to use if you find yourself in a pinch when you’re on vacation. Also, get free car rental and travel accident insurance.
- Purchase benefits. Get free two-day shipping at ShopRunner, as well as extended warranties and purchase protection on eligible items.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. The Amex EveryDay Preferred has a $95 p.a. annual fee.
- Make balance transfers quickly. To take advantage of the 0% APR for balance transfers, you need to make transfers within the first 60 days.
- Not as widely accepted overseas. Because this is an American Express, you might not have as many opportunities to use it overseas as you would with a Visa or Mastercard. You’ll also pay a foreign transaction fee.
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could saddle you with fees as high as $38.
Consider other cards if…
- You want cash back. Consider a card like the Citi Double Cash, which gives you unlimited 2% cash back on everything you buy. Also, consider the Blue Cash Card, the Blue Cash Everyday and the Blue Cash Preferred for better cash back on gas and groceries.
- You don’t want to pay an annual fee. The Amex EveryDay Credit Card comes with similar features and no annual fee.
Compare other American Express credit cards
What to know before you apply
To apply for the Amex EveryDay Preferred, you must be:
- At least 18 years old
- A US resident
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the Amex EveryDay Preferred if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of or higher.
How to apply for the card
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional credit card approval is automated on the website, you can get a decision on your application within 60 seconds.
I got the card. Now what?
- Making payments. Register an account at the American Express website to pay your balance online. You can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoiding fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38.
- Customer service. Help documents aren’t easily accessible on the American Express website, but you can call 1-800-528-4800 for customer service. According to market research company J.D. Power, cardholders give American Express high marks in customer interaction.
You may want rewards for grocery and gas spending, pick the Amex EveryDay Preferred — it’ll give you flexible Membership Rewards points you can spend on merchandise, travel and more.