Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
American Express ‘Pay It Plan It’: How does it work?
You can pay for purchases in two ways.
Pay It Plan It is a set of payment options Amex offers to select cardholders.
- Pay It lets you chip away at your balance throughout the month.
- Meanwhile, Plan It lets you bundle up certain purchases and pay for all of them through one payment plan.
How does Pay It work?
Pay It is a feature that lets you pay down your Amex credit card balance in small chunks. Specifically, you can pay off transaction amounts of select purchases under $100. Your payments apply to your general balance and not individual purchases.
Here’s an example:
- You use your card to make these purchases:
- Item A for $10
- Item B for $20
- Item C for $30
Now your balance is $60. If you use Pay It to pay $20, you reduce your overall balance to $40.
Note that you won’t incur interest if you simply pay your balance in full within your credit card’s grace period. However, using Pay It can help you keep track of your card debt by pruning it throughout the month.
How do I use Amex Pay It?
- Download the Amex app on your iPhone or Android and open the app.
- Look for purchases with the Pay It symbol next to them.
- Tap on a purchase and complete a payment for it.
- Look for the posted payment within 24 to 36 hours.
Pay It rules and guidelines
Here are a few things to note before using Pay it:
- You can submit a maximum of five payments per day. These include payments from other sources, such as your online account, the Amex app or phone payments.
- Payments you make via Pay It count toward your credit card’s monthly minimum payment. As long as your payment meets the monthly minimum by the due date, you’ve covered your payment obligation for the statement period
Payments take up to 48 hours to post to your account.
How does Plan It work?
Plan It is a feature that lets you pay for large purchases — $100 or more — over time in equal installments. You can pay off just one purchase or combine up to 10 eligible purchases into a payment plan. Plan durations range from three to 24 months. While you won’t pay interest, you will pay a fixed fee each month.
Here’s an example:
You make these purchases with your card:
- Item A for $100
- Item B for $200
- Item C for $300
You decide to wrap all of these into a payment plan, for a subtotal of $600. Including Amex’s plan fee, you’ll pay a total of $660. You choose the 12-month payment plan, so each month you’ll pay $660/12 = $55.
This is in addition to your card’s minimum payment. So if your minimum payment is $35, you’ll need to pay at least $55 + $35 = $90 each month to keep your account in good standing.
Plan It can be useful if you want to see the exact charges you’ll incur for paying off purchases over time. In this sense, fixed monthly fees can be useful compared to interest, which can be more difficult to calculate.
How do I access Amex Plan It?
You can access Plan It through the Amex app. Unlike Pay It, you can also use Plan It through your online account.
How do I use Amex Plan It?
- Select purchases of $100 or more to pay off through a plan. You can combine up to 10 purchases into one plan with a maximum of 10 active plans at once.
- Amex will present you with one to three plans. Each plan will list a duration — for example, 6, 12 or 18 months — as well as a monthly payment. Choose one of these plans.
- Review and confirm your plan.
Can I pay off my plan early?
Yes. Simply pay the full New Balance for the purchase, which you’ll find on your billing statement. Once you do, you won’t be charged additional fees for the plan.
How do I know how long my payment plans will be?
Unfortunately, you won’t know this in advance. Amex will offer various payment plans depending on factors like your creditworthiness, payment history and purchase amounts.
Can I change my plan duration or cancel a plan after I’ve confirmed it?
No. After you confirm a plan, you must pay it off according to the terms. You are allowed to pay off a plan early, however.
How to get Pay It Plan It
If you qualify for Pay It Plan It, you’ll see the feature on the relevant Amex platform. Pay It is available only via the Amex app. However, you can access Plan It through the Amex app or your online account.
Amex doesn’t enroll every card account in Pay It Plan It, depending on factors such as card type, account status and date of account opening.
Which cards are eligible for Pay It Plan It?
Amex personal credit cards issued in the United States are eligible for Pay It Plan It, with exceptions.
Which Amex products are not eligible for Pay It Plan It?
These are products that aren’t eligible for Pay It Plan It, according to Amex:
- Cards for which you’ve activated the Pay Over Time feature
- Cards for which you’re required to pay off your entire balance each billing cycle
- Prepaid cards and products
- Corporate cards
- Small business cards
- Cards or accounts issued by non-Amex financial providers
Compare cards with the Pay It Plan It option
Is there another Amex flexible-payment option?
Amex offers Pay Over Time to certain members with charge cards. Normally, charge cards require balances to be paid in full each month. With Pay Over Time, however, cardholders can choose to pay off select balances over more than one month.
Pay It Plan It is a feature that gives you payment flexibility. Use Pay It if you want to chip away at your card balance throughout the month. Use Plan It if you want to pay for items over time while knowing exactly how much you’ll pay in fees.
Many American Express credit cards — including cashback, point-based and cobranded travel cards — offer Pay It Plan It.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert