Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare American Express business cards
Earn cash back, partner rewards and more with this suite of small business credit and charge cards.
Amex’s small business division, formerly labeled American Express OPEN, offers the largest selection of small business cards. These cards come with card-specific perks and rewards on top of industry-leading customer service features.
In addition, you’ll get access to Amex events that’ll give you insight and guidance on how to grow your business and close deals with the US government.
Compare American Express business credit cards
American Express has a veritable fleet of small business credit card options. You can choose from charge cards, cashback cards, frequent flyer cards, hotel cards and general travel rewards cards, depending on your business needs.
American Express business cards perks and features
- Expense management tools. Get access to expense management tools like the American Express® Business App that lets you add tags, notes and receipts to your business transactions and connect your account to QuickBooks accounting software. You can also set account alerts to avoid late payments and monitor your employees’ card use.
- Rewards. Choose from cashback rewards in the form of statement credit or get membership rewards, which you can redeem for travel, gift cards, merchandise or shopping. You can also get partner rewards from Delta Air Lines, Starwood hotels and Lowe’s stores.
American Express holds events for its members
Several times a year, American Express hosts virtual and in-person conferences and workshops for small business owners. Subjects range from growing your business globally to closing government contracts while listening to industry leaders or participating in interactive workshops.
One of the largest American Express programs is Government Contracting, where you get access to free events, resources and mentoring to help your business get the insight and experience needed to work with the US government. You also get to connect with fellow business owners, decision makers and government resources.
What is American Express OPEN?
American Express OPEN was the name of Amex’s suite of financial products for small businesses. Although now rebranded as American Express Small Business, Amex still offers the same business-focused products and services. With the Amex business cards, you can get cashback rewards, payment flexibility with a grace period of up to 60 days, membership rewards and rewards from Amex travel partners.
Amex is the only small business card issuer that offers charge cards. With this type of card, you can manage your cash flow over short periods of time with a longer grace period. You also have the option to buy above your credit limit because charge cards have no preset spending limit. However, this doesn’t mean you get unlimited spending. Your purchasing power adjusts with your use of the card, your payment history and other factors determined by Amex.
In addition, you have access to the American Express OPEN Forum — a social network where you can connect and get advice from leading business experts.
American Express business credit card customer service
- Dispute resolution. American Express will help you in case of fraudulent or incorrect charges on your statement.
- Purchase protection. Get protection against theft or damage for up to 90 days after the date of purchase for items bought with your card.
- Extended warranty. Extend the warranty up to one additional year on eligible purchases with warranties of five years or less.
- Roadside and global assist hotlines. Call roadside assistance when you need help with towing, changing a tire or charging your car battery. When you travel, the global assist hotline can help if you lose your passport or need legal, medical or any other emergency services. Keep in mind that you’ll have to pay for third-party service costs when you use the hotline.
- Travel, car rental and baggage insurance. Get coverage against accidental death and dismemberment when you pay for the entire fare with an American Express small business card. You’re also insured against damage and theft of your rental car, and your baggage is insured in case of loss, damage or theft.
If you want cashback rewards, membership rewards or travel rewards from Amex partners — or if you simply want more payment flexibility with a charge card — consider one of the 12 small business cards offered by Amex.
Otherwise, check out other business credit cards and compare your options to find the best card for your business.
More guides on Finder
Best store credit cards of 2021
Here are our picks for the best store cards of the year.
Best no annual fee credit cards of 2021
Our picks for the best no-annual-fee cards.
DasherDirect prepaid card review
Dashers can get instant access to earnings, plus 2% cash back at gas stations with this prepaid card.
31 Asian American-owned businesses to support
Find both veterans and up-and-coming brands in a wide range of industries — from beauty to coffee to interior design.
How do Best Buy rewards work?
Earn up to 2.5% back in rewards and get free shipping.
How do Staples rewards work?
Get up to 5% back in rewards cash and free shipping.
Air Canada to launch new Chase credit card in the US
Air Canada anticipates launching the new credit card and also joining Chase’s lineup of travel partners in 2021.
Which payment method do Americans prefer?
Finder analyzes which payment methods Americans prefer to use during the global health pandemic, finding that cash is no longer king.
Accompany Capital business loans review
This New York City nonprofit offers loans from $500 to $50K with rates fixed at 3% — regardless of your credit score or time in business.
7 apps to measure your environmental impact
Fight food waste, eliminate junk mail, track your carbon emissions and more with these popular apps.
Ask an Expert