Frequent and casual travelers alike could find a new favorite travel companion.
American Express hotel cards offer two loyalty programs for cardholders to choose from.
One is Hilton Honors, which has a suite of three cards. The other is the combined Starwood Preferred Guest/Marriott Rewards program, which gives you a choice of two cards.
Our pick for Amex hotel rewards: Hilton Honors American Express Card
Compare American Express hotel cards
Best American Express hotel credit cards
Amex hotel cards come with various annual fees and perks. Compare them closely to find one that fits exactly what you’re looking for.
Jump to …
- Hilton Honors American Express Card: Best for no annual fee
- Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card: Best for Hilton
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express: Best mid-tier option for Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott Rewards
- Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card: Best for premium travel
Best for no annual fee: Hilton Honors American Express Card
Hilton Honors American Express CardRead more
Best for Hilton: Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
Hilton Honors American Express Ascend CardRead more
Gold status in the Hilton Honors program sweetens the deal. It includes valuable perks like complimentary breakfast and room upgrades, and you won’t have to pay an arm and a leg to earn it.
Best mid-tier option for Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott Rewards: Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American ExpressRead more
Best for premium travel: Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card
Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card
Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating SPG or Marriott Rewards hotels.
The annual statement credit offsets a large portion of its yearly fee, and the card’s other flagship perks are worth a lot. One of its best features is the 3x-point tier, which will help you earn points faster on eligible flights and dining.
How to compare American Express hotel credit cards
American Express offers more than one card for its partner hotel chains, and it might be difficult to make the right pick. Here are a few factors to consider while comparing products.
- Annual fee. Amex sticks to standard annual fees: $0, $95 and $450. Figuring out what you’re willing to pay can be a great starting point.
- Rewards. Think about your annual spending and see if it fits with a card’s bonus categories.
- Welcome offer. A healthy haul of bonus points can tip the scales if you’re facing a close decision. The welcome offers from all of Amex’s hotel cards are enough to earn you a free night at eligible properties
- Hotel loyalty program status. All of Amex’s hotel cards come with complimentary status upgrades in their respective loyalty programs. Check out the differences between Silver and Gold status in the Hilton Honors and SPG/Marriott Rewards programs and see which perks you want.
- Airport lounge access. Consider whether you want airport lounge access. You might not mind forgoing it if you rarely travel. When choosing between the mid-tier and premium cards, consider whether you’re OK with limited lounge access.
Amex’s hotel cards are similar in many ways. However, closely looking at key differences between them can help you make your final decision. Go through the list of comparison factors we’ve discussed, and you’ll be well on your way to picking the winner.
If you’re not convinced an American Express hotel card is right for you, consider a travel card.