Frequent and casual travelers alike could find a new favorite travel companion.
American Express hotel cards offer two loyalty programs for cardholders to choose from.
Compare American Express hotel cards
Best American Express hotel credit cards
Amex hotel cards come with various annual fees and perks. Compare them closely to find one that fits exactly what you’re looking for.
Jump to …
Best for no annual fee: Hilton Honors American Express Card
Hilton Honors American Express CardRead more
Best for Hilton: Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
Hilton Honors American Express Ascend CardRead more
Gold status in the Hilton Honors program sweetens the deal. It includes valuable perks like complimentary breakfast and room upgrades, and you won’t have to pay an arm and a leg to earn it.
Best for premium Hilton travel: Hilton Honors™ Aspire Card
Hilton Honors™ Aspire Card
150,000 Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points after you spend $4,000 or more in purchases with your new card within the first 3 months of card membership.
Best for premium travel: Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® CardRead more
The annual statement credit offsets a large portion of its yearly fee, and the card’s other flagship perks are worth a lot. One of its best features is the 3x-point tier, which will help you earn points faster on eligible flights and dining.
How to compare American Express hotel credit cards
American Express offers more than one card for its partner hotel chains, and it might be difficult to make the right pick. Here are a few factors to consider while comparing products.
- Annual fee. Amex sticks to standard annual fees: $0, $95 and $450. Figuring out what you’re willing to pay can be a great starting point.
- Rewards. Think about your annual spending and see if it fits with a card’s bonus categories.
- Welcome offer. A healthy haul of bonus points can tip the scales if you’re facing a close decision. The welcome offers from all of Amex’s hotel cards are enough to earn you a free night at eligible properties
- Hotel loyalty program status. All of Amex’s hotel cards come with complimentary status upgrades in their respective loyalty programs. Check out the differences between Silver and Gold status in the Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy programs and see which perks you want.
- Airport lounge access. Consider whether you want airport lounge access. You might not mind forgoing it if you rarely travel. When choosing between the mid-tier and premium cards, consider whether you’re OK with limited lounge access.
Amex’s hotel cards are similar in many ways. However, closely looking at key differences between them can help you make your final decision. Go through the list of comparison factors we’ve discussed, and you’ll be well on your way to picking the winner.
You may also want to learn about the American Express Hotel Collection, which offers perks for cardholders of certain premium Amex travel cards. Or, if you’re not convinced an American Express card is right for you, consider other travel cards.