With Amex Global Assist, you can streamline your trip planning, get important information about your destination and even get referrals to essential services during emergencies.
Compare credit cards with American Express Global Assist
Select your credit score below and click “Show Cards” to compare Amex cards with this useful feature. You can select up to 4 cards to compare side-by-side.
What is American Express Global Assist?
American Express Global Assist connects you to travel, medical, financial and legal services when you’re traveling more than 100 miles from home.
American Express Global Assist benefits
Global Assist offers a variety of services, from pre-departure planning to emergency assistance during your trip. You’re responsible for charges incurred from third-party services.
- Customs details. Learn which items you’re allowed to bring to certain countries.
- Information about culture. Get the lay of the land, such as what type of currency to bring, where to find tourist offices and whether there are travel warnings.
- Foreign exchange rates. Learn how much foreign currency is worth relative to the dollar. This will help you exchange money at a fair rate.
- Inoculation recommendations. See which vaccinations you may need for your destination.
- Passport and visa information. Know the entry requirements for the country you’re visiting.
- Weather. Get a weather forecast for your destination.
- Emergency translation. If you have a legal or medical emergency, Amex can arrange an interpreter on the phone.
- Lost items. Call the Global Assist Hotline if you lose an item during your trip. Representatives will help you locate it.
- Missing luggage. Amex can help you save time when an airline loses your luggage. It’ll liaise with the airline to track your baggage.
- Passport help. If your passport was lost or stolen, Amex reps can point you to the nearest embassy. There, you can get your passport replaced.
- Urgent messages. Through the Global Assist Hotline, you can relay emergency messages to your family members or friends.
- Emergency medical transportation coordination. If you or a covered family member has a medical emergency, Amex can coordinate medical transportation.
- Medical monitoring. Global Assist representatives can update your family on your status throughout your medical care.
- Medical prescription replacement. Amex reps can arrange a transfer of your prescription medication to a pharmacy near you.
- Dental and medical referrals. Find a dentist or physician near you.
- Repatriation in the event of death. If you or a covered family member dies on a trip, Global Assist will coordinate the return of your remains to your home.
- ATM locator.
American Express isn’t as widely accepted internationally as Visa or Mastercard. However, Global Assist can point you to ATMs that accept Amex cards.
- Emergency cash wires.
In an emergency, Amex can coordinate a cash wire to you through MoneyGram or Western Union.
- Emergency hotel check-in and checkout.
Global Assist will help you check in or out of your room if your card is lost or stolen.
- Bail bonds.
Amex reps will point you to bail bond agencies that accept your Amex card.
- Embassy and consulate locator.
Get phone numbers and addresses of embassies and consulates near you.
- English-speaking lawyers.
Global Assist can refer you to English-speaking lawyers near you.
What does American Express Global Assist cost?
If you’re an eligible cardholder, there’s no cost to use Global Assist.
However, Global Assist is mostly coordination and referrals — it doesn’t administer most of the emergency services. You’re responsible for charges you incur from third-party providers.
The exception is if you have an eligible The Platinum Card® from American Express or Centurion® Card from American Express, when you’ll get access to Premium Global Assist. This program may cover emergency medical transportation and repatriation of mortal remains.
How to get American Express Global Assist
As an Amex cardholder, you don’t have to register for Global Assist. Just call the relevant phone number to reach the service.
You get access to Global Assist with any American Express card. Access Premium Global Assist with The Platinum Card® from American Express or Centurion® Card from American Express.
How can I use Global Assist and Premium Global Assist?
Below are the phone numbers to dial for Global Assist and Premium Global Assist. You can also call the customer support number on the back of your card and ask for the Global Assist Hotline.
Phone numbers for Global Assist
|In the US||800-333-2639|
|Outside the US||715-343-7977|
Phone numbers for Premium Global Assist
|In the US||800-345-2639|
|Outside the US||715-343-7979|
Who gets to use American Express Global Assist?
Cardholders and authorized users can access Global Assist. If you’re the primary cardholder, you’re ultimately responsible for charges incurred by anyone on your account.
To access legal, medical and financial referrals through Global Assist, you must be traveling more than 100 miles from home.
Global Assist can offer essential information before your trip, as well as emergency help during your trip. You can access it with any American Express credit card.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Luxury Card Mastercard® Black Card™ Unboxing: The new Luxury Card
The Luxury Card Black Card’s packaging matches the name.
Best bank accounts for freelancers and the self-employed
Compare the five best bank accounts for self-employed professionals and freelancers.
How to avoid Bank of America account fees
Bank of America charges various account fees, but you can avoid many of them.
United Quest℠ Card review
The Chase United Quest piles on the perks without breaking the bank.
Best credit card combinations
Use these credit card combinations to boost your rewards earnings.
Gusto Wallet review
Get paid through Gusto? This new checking and savings account combo might be for you.
Robinhood and SoFi race to sell pre-market IPO shares — and you might be the winner
Robinhood and SoFi plan to democratize pre-IPO investing by allowing traders to buy pre-market shares. Here’s how to get in on the action.
BP Credit Card review
Get up to 10 cents off on your bp and Amoco station gas purchases.
Texas disaster assistance for the 2021 Winter Storm
Here’s where to get financial help for yourself and your business if you’ve been affected by the storm in February 2021.
7+ hotels offering workation packages
Book a workation at one of these hotels and get Internet, coffee, private space and more.
Ask an Expert