Wagmo pet insurance review May 2021
One of the only companies to offer 100% back on vet bills but with limited maximum payouts.
- Get a quote if you’re looking for high reimbursements or flexible wellness plans.
- Pick something else if you’d prefer unlimited payouts.
From 8 weeks to 16 years old
$500 to $1,000
Up to 100%
|Average monthly cost||$45|
|Types of policy||Wellness, Accident|
|Paid in ful||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Wagmo pet insurance offers similar coverage as other policies, while reimbursing bills at a nearly unheard-of 100% after the deductible. You might pay more for this benefit than with other companies.
Wagmo does cut a few items out, but it claims to cut services that most people don’t use or need anyway. For example, other companies offer unlimited payouts, but Wagmo’s $10,000 per illness or injury and $100,000 lifetime maximums are still wide coverage.
You also can buy one of Wagmo’s three wellness plans with your pet insurance or by itself. Again, you’ll pay more than other wellness plans, but you get flexibility with how you use the money for different services.
If you’re looking for high reimbursements or a standalone wellness plan, Wagmo is worth a quote. Then, compare it to other pet insurance policies on the market to find the right fit.
What pet insurance coverage does Wagmo offer?
Wagmo includes protection for your four-legged friend that’s comparable to most companies, but its prosthetics coverage stands out from the crowd. Its coverage includes:
- Cancer treatment like chemotherapy or surgery to take out a tumor
- Dental treatments if a covered injury or illness harms your pet’s teeth
- End-of-life costs to put your pet to sleep for humane reasons
- Emergency care and hospital stays if your companion needs immediate medical attention
- Ground ambulance services are covered up to $100
- Hereditary or congenital conditions if your pet gets sick from an illness that runs in its bloodline or was present at birth without symptoms
- Prescription medication coverage pays 50% of the cost for meds that your vet prescribes for covered health conditions
- Prosthetics and orthopedics to help your furry friend stay active even if they lose a limb or have joint or bone problems
- Surgeries to correct covered health issues
- X-rays, ultrasounds, CT scans and lab tests to understand your cherished friend’s health issue and diagnose it
- Vet exam fees if your pet’s medical condition is covered by your plan
What does Wagmo’s wellness plans cover?
Wagmo offers three tiers of coverage at slightly higher prices than competitors, though with more flexibility on how you use it. For example, you can choose which combination of vaccines you want covered.
Its plans include:
|Services offered||Value – $20/mo.||Classic – $36/mo.||Deluxe – $59/mo.|
|Routine blood work||1/year||1/year||1/year|
|Flea, tick or heartworm preventives||Not covered||$100||$200|
|Grooming services||Not covered||$100||$200|
|Dental care||Not covered||Not covered||$100|
How much is Wagmo pet insurance?
You can expect to pay $30 to $45 a month for cats or $44 to $68 a month for dogs, though choosing a higher deductible can lower your insurance costs. This cost is higher than the typical cost of $20 a month for cats and $40 a month for dogs.
Wagmo pet insurance quotes
|Breed||Age||Gender||Deductible||Reimbursement||Maximum benefit||Monthly rate|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||$500||100%|
$10,000 per incident
$100,000 lifetime maximum
|$29.18 to $44.80|
|Dog||Mixed breed – medium size||2 years||Female||$500||100%|
$10,000 per incident
$100,000 lifetime maximum
|$43.93 to $67.73|
Which discounts can I get?
- Multiple pets. You’ll see a 5% discount if you have multiple pets that need coverage.
- Wellness annual plan. Get a month of wellness coverage free when you pay up front.
Pros and cons of Wagmo pet insurance
- Get 100% of the vet bill reimbursed. Only a few companies offer this reimbursement level — most reimburse only up to 90%.
- Quick reimbursements. You can set up reimbursements through Venmo and similar services to get your money back faster.
- Offers flexible wellness plans. Wagmo’s wellness plans let you choose which grooming services or vaccines you use it for, not typical with its competitors.
- May waive the leg disorder waiting period. If you show recent vet records and the vet saw no signs of knee disorders like cruciate ligament, Wagmo may waive the waiting period required to get coverage.
- Only pays out 50% for prescriptions. You can reimburse only half the cost for your pet’s prescription drugs.
- Limited treatment for hip dysplasia. This condition won’t get covered unless your pet is under six years old.
- Little customer service information. We know that Wagmo’s underwriter doesn’t have the best reputation with customers, which may or may not lead to problems during claims.
- Maximum payouts limited. Wagmo doesn’t offer unlimited payouts, though they’re capped at $10,000 per incident.
Wagmo pet insurance reviews and complaints
Wagmo pet insurance doesn’t have many reviews online with sites like Trustpilot or the Better Business Bureau.
However, Wagmo’s underwriter, National Specialty Insurance Company, sees a complaint index of 3.14 with the 2019 National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), well above the national median of 1.00.
The NAIC index rates companies based on how many complaints they receive versus premiums written. This rating may not reflect how Wagmo directly deals with its customers, but it might affect customer satisfaction during the claims process.
However, it’s normal for customers to post complaints online, while satisfied customers might not voice their positive experiences.
How do I sign up?
Wagmo makes the application process straightforward and quick — you can buy online in under five minutes. Follow these steps to put in your pet’s application.
- From Wagmo’s homepage, choose Get My Quote.
- Type in your pet’s name and other basic information like gender, breed and birthdate.
- Select which types of insurance you need, wellness or medical insurance or ask for the quoting tool to recommend your coverage. Choose Next.
- Enter your ZIP code, name and email address, then preview your results.
- See your quotes, adjust your deductibles and opt in or out of different insurance plans. If you’re on board, select Checkout.
- Fill in your address and payment details.
- Next, read and sign the terms and conditions. When you’re ready, select Place Order.
What’s not covered?
Wagmo keeps a common list of exclusions, though you’ll find extra limitations on dental surgeries and removing objects that your pet eats. Examples of what’s excluded:
- Boarding, breeding and pregnancy.
- Dental surgeries.
- Cosmetic surgeries like ear-cropping.
- Excessive treatments for foreign objects — More than two treatments to remove an object within a policy period.
- Grooming or bathing, unless it’s medically necessary.
- Hydrotherapy or experimental treatments.
- Maintenance or other nonmedical fees.
- Phone consultations, unless it’s for a lifesaving emergency.
- Pre-existing conditions.
- Prescription food, vitamins or supplements.
- Spaying or neutering.
- Training or obedience classes.