Finder may earn compensation from partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
2021 guide to Visa benefits (Visa Traditional, Signature, Infinite)
You could get strong purchase protections and travel insurance.
While the biggest advantage of a Visa card may be its worldwide acceptance, yours may include helpful benefits such as purchase protection and travel insurance. You’ll find more perks with higher-tier Visa Signature and Infinite products.
How important are Visa benefits?
This depends on what you’re looking for, but many cardholders will say Visa benefits are less important than other card features.
Benefits that attract the most attention often include signup bonuses, rewards, travel credits and airport lounge access. Visa doesn’t administer these perks — these come from your credit card issuer, which could be Chase, Bank of America, Capital One, etc.
Visa offers purchase and travel protections
Look to Visa to offer more behind-the-scenes benefits, such as extended warranties and travel insurance.
These perks become more powerful as you move from the lowest-tier Visa card — Traditional — to the higher-tier Signature and Infinite cards.
Visa Traditional benefits: These come standard with all Visa credit cards
Visa benefits vary based on the credit card issuer. However, you’ll typically find these Visa card benefits standard.
One commonly overlooked feature of Visa cards is their universal acceptance. If a retailer accepts credit cards, it will accept your Visa card. You won’t necessarily find this benefit with an American Express or Discover card.
Emergency card replacement and cash disbursement
If your card is lost, stolen or damaged and you need cash quickly, Visa can arrange a cash pickup at a nearby bank or expedited card delivery. Call 800-847-2911. Have a copy of your information in your email or on hand so you can clearly relay the information to Visa.
Note that it’s easier to request an emergency replacement card from Visa than it is to request emergency cash. The replacement service typically only takes a day or two to be delivered.
Through this service, you can securely save your payment and shipping information so you can spend less time at checkout when buying with partnered merchants.
At the time of this writing, over 130 retailers participate in Visa Checkout, including Alaska Airlines, Best Buy, Neiman Marcus, Old Navy, Shutterfly, Starbucks and Walgreens.
Auto rental collision damage waiver
When you pay for a rental car with your Visa card and decline the insurance at the counter, your vehicle will be covered against collision or theft.
You won’t be liable for unauthorized transactions on your card.
You can use Roadside Dispatch — available 24/7 — by calling 800-847-2869. Visa offers pre-negotiated rates, and fees will be charged to your Visa account.
Call Roadside Dispatch for help with towing, tire changes, jump starts, lockouts, fuel delivery and standard winching.
24/7 customer service
Use the round-the-clock Visa Global Customer Care Services to report a lost and stolen card from anywhere in the world. Contact the Visa team at 800-847-2911 in the US or Canada or at 303-967-1096 internationally.
Visa Global Customer Assistance phone numbers by country
Request emergency service from a Visa representative by calling these toll-free numbers from the country where you’re located.
|Antigua||800-847-2911||Lebanon||01-426-801 or 866-654-0130|
|Austria||800-200-288 or 800-892-8134||Macedonia||800-94288 or 888-557-4458|
|Bahrain||800-006||Mauritius||01-120 or 866-654-0165|
|Belize||811 or 555 or 800-847-2911||Montserrat||800-847-2911|
|Bermuda||800-847-2911||Morocco||002-11-0011 or 866-654-0163|
|British Virgin Islands||800-847-2911||Norway||800-12052|
|Bulgaria||800-0010 or 888-557-4446||Panama||001-800-111-0016|
|Cambodia||800-881-001 or 888-710-7783||Paraguay||008-11-800 or 800-599-1137|
|China (North)||10-800-711-2911||Puerto Rico||800-847-2911|
|Colombia||800-912-5713||Romania||808-03-4288 or 888-557-4416|
|Costa Rica||800-011-0030||Russia||8 10-800-110-1011 or 866-654-0164|
|Croatia||800-220-111 or 866-654-0125||Russia (Moscow and St. Petersburg only)||363-2400 or 866-654-0164|
|Curacao*||800-847-2911||Russia (Outside Moscow)||8 495-363-2400 or 866-654-0164|
|Czech Republic||800-142-121||Russia (Outside St. Petersburg)||8 812-363-2400 or 866-654-0164|
|Dominican Republic||800-847-2911||Saint Kitts||800-847-2911|
or 800-225-528 or 800-847-2911
|Egypt (Cairo only)||2510-0200 or 866-654-0128||Saint Maarten*||800-847-2911|
|Egypt (outside Cairo)||02-2510-0200 or 866-654-0128||San Marino||800-819-014|
|El Salvador||800-6921||Saudi Arabia||800-10 or 866-654-0129|
|Estonia||800-12001 or 800-406-9982||Senegal||800-103-072 or 888-557-4451|
|France||800-90-1179||Slovakia||800-000-101 or 800-406-9970|
|Guyana||159 or 1-855-477-1390||Thailand||001-800-11-535-0660|
|Honduras||800-0123 or 800-847-2911||Trinidad and Tobago||800-847-2911|
|Hungary||06-800-17682||Turks and Caicos||800-847-2911|
|India||000-800-100-1219||Ukraine||800-502-886 or 888-557-4445|
|Indonesia||001-803-1-933-6294||United Arab Emirates||8000-021 or 866-654-0112|
|Ireland, Republic of||800-55-8002||United Kingdom||800-89-1725|
|Jamaica||800-847-2911||U.S. Virgin Islands||800-847-2911|
|Jordan||880-0000 or 888-557-4442||Vietnam||201-0288 or 888-710-7781|
|Kazakhstan||8 800-121-4321 or 888-557-4447|
Visa Signature benefits: Slightly more purchase and travel perks
Visa Signature cards usually offer better purchase protection, and they’re more robust while you’re traveling. Your card might include these benefits:
- Extended Warranty Protection. When you use your Visa card for your purchase, Visa may extend the item’s warranty. If the item’s original warranty is less than a year, Visa will double it. If the warranty is one to three years, Visa will extend it by a year.
- Year-end summary. Visa will send you a detailed annual report of your spending. It’ll organize your transactions by category.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services. Call 800-992-6029 in the US or, outside the US, one of Visa’s toll-free numbers. Get pre-trip assistance and stay informed about health precautions, weather reports, travel visa requirements and more. On vacation, access medical referral assistance, emergency transportation, emergency message service, prescription assistance, valuable document delivery, legal referrals, emergency ticket replacement, locating lost luggage and emergency translation.
Visa Infinite benefits: Strong purchase protection, excellent travel coverage
Visa Infinite is the highest tier of Visa credit card. You’ll often find this logo emblazoned on premium travel cards. Besides perks of lower-tier cards, you’ll often find these additional benefits:
- Return protection. Buy any eligible item up to $300 with your Visa Infinite card. If you want to return the purchase within 90 days and the merchant won’t take it back, Visa may accept the return for you.
- Purchase security. Buy an eligible item with your Visa Infinite card. If the item is stolen or damaged within the first 90 days, Visa may replace or repair the item. Or, Visa may reimburse you for the product.
- Travel accident insurance. Buy your airline ticket with your Visa Infinite card. You’ll be covered by $500,000 of accidental death and dismemberment insurance. This coverage also applies to other eligible transportation methods, such as train, bus or ferry.
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance. When you buy your travel ticket with your card and your trip is canceled or interrupted for a valid reason, Visa may reimburse the nonrefundable cost of your fare.
- Trip delay reimbursement. Buy your flight with your card. If the flight sees a delay of over six hours, or you must stay overnight, you’ll be reimbursed for reasonable expenses, up to $500 per flight ticket.
- Lost luggage reimbursement. Use your card to buy an airline or common carrier ticket. If your luggage is lost or misdirected, you may be reimbursed. There’s a maximum reimbursement of $3,000 per trip. If you live in New York, there’s a $2,000-per-bag maximum.
Other Visa benefits
You might find the following Visa benefits depending on the card issuer.
Visa’s payWave technology helps you save time at the checkout through tap-and-go payments. If your card purchase is less than $100, you won’t even need to enter a PIN. You can also use a Visa payWave card like any regular card if you prefer to swipe or insert it.
Visa Signature and Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection
These are portfolios of the top properties in the world, accessible based on which Visa card you have. When you book through your respective card’s Luxury Hotel Collection portal, you may receive premium benefits like automatic room upgrades, complimentary continental breakfast, late check-out upon request, food or beverage credits and VIP guest status.
Receive 24/7 service for requests big and small, such as securing dinner reservations or finding gifts for loved ones.
Get discounts and benefits with companies such as Avis, National and Silvercar. Also, you’re connected to chauffeured car service through GroundLink.
Compare Visa credit cards
How can I compare Visa credit cards?
As many credit card issuers offer Visa cards, here are a few other factors you can consider when comparing your options:
- Fees. Visa cards can vary from no-frills offers to premium products, so expect fees to vary.
- Interest rates. If you don’t always pay your balance in full, compare Visa cards with low rates. Some cards also come with 0% promotional interest rates, which can help you save on interest costs. If you plan to use the card for ATM withdrawals or to purchase online gaming chips, compare cards by cash advance rates instead.
- Rewards. Some Visa cards come linked to rewards and frequent flyer programs, allowing you to earn points as you spend. If you’re a regular spender who often pays your balance in full, a rewards credit card can be a useful way to get more value from your Visa.
- Credit limit. While your approved credit limit will depend on factors such as income and credit history, you should apply for a credit limit that can support your financial needs without tempting you to overspend.
- Eligibility requirements. Different Visa cards will come with specific eligibility requirements including minimum annual income, credit history, age and residential status.
Visa vs. Mastercard, Amex and Discover
Besides Visa, there are three other major credit card networks in the United States: Mastercard, American Express and Discover.
- Visa vs. Mastercard. Mastercard is Visa’s closest competitor, and it’s usually accepted wherever Visa is. You’ll find many of the same features with a Mastercard as you would with a Visa, though the final say on features always depends on the card issuer.
- Visa vs. American Express. Visa enjoys higher acceptance worldwide than American Express, especially internationally. However, Amex cards have certain standard benefits that Visa Traditional cards don’t offer.
- Visa vs. Discover. Discover has very different benefits compared to those of the other card networks. You’ll find perks such as no overlimit fees, free Social Security number alerts and complimentary FICO scores. Meanwhile, you won’t receive benefits such as purchase protection or travel insurance, which Visa cards might offer.
While the most important benefit of a Visa is arguably its worldwide acceptance, your Visa card may include purchase and travel benefits that can help you in a pinch. It’s worth verifying with your issuer which benefits your card offers.
You’ll typically find the most Visa features in travel cards, which you can compare here.
More guides on Finder
Best airline credit cards of 2021
Have your sights set on travel this year? We compared nearly 100 cards to find the best deals and perks.
2021 Review: Petal® 1 "No Annual Fee" Visa® Credit Card Review
Rebuild your credit for no annual fee.
Acceptance car insurance review Oct 2021
Consider Acceptance if you’re a high-risk driver, but prepare for the possibility of a negative customer service experience.
The Hartford life insurance review Oct 2021
Businesses can sponsor employees’ term life insurance along with free services, like creating a will.
Vantis life insurance review 2021
Vantis Life offers standard life insurance policies at competitive rates with some extras included.
Visa extended warranty: How does it work?
The benefit comes standard with Visa Signature and Infinite products.
Visa car rental insurance: How does it work?
Your Visa coverage depends on your credit card provider.
Does Mastercard have purchase protection?
Get coverage against damage or theft when you purchase items with your eligible Mastercard.
Does Visa have purchase protection?
Use your Visa card for eligible purchases and get coverage against theft and damage.
Best credit cards for families 2021
Earn rewards on groceries, gas or family travel.
Ask an Expert