Looking for seniors travel insurance? Compare policies designed for travelers over 65.
Don’t pay more than you need to for seniors travel insurance. Whether you’re heading away on a cruise, visiting friends overseas or just looking for a new adventure, get the travel coverage you need at a cost that fits your budget. When comparing your options, make sure to ask whether your coverage meets the criteria you’re looking for:
- For travelers of all ages.
- No upfront medical assessments.
- Unlimited protection against trip cancellation.
- Specializes in cruise trips.
- Free coverage for grandchildren.
Keep reading to find out more about how to compare different policy options for senior travelers.
Why we like: Atlas Travel Insurance
Before you head on your next trip, consider the protection that travel insurance can offer you and your loved ones.
- Choose from several different policies to protect your trip.
- Option to create custom coverage that fits your travel needs.
- Comprehensive plans for individuals, groups and business travelers.
- Includes a suite of emergency travel benefits such as medical evacuation.
Providers usually apply a premium loading on policies as you get older. This makes it even more important for seniors to take the time to compare the different options available in order to get the best deal.
Tips to find the right policy for your trip
Although the cost of travel insurance for seniors tends to be considerably higher than the cost of travel insurance for younger people, it’s still possible to get some reasonable deals on this cover with a little research, particularly if you’re relatively fit and healthy. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What company has the best policy for you? Many seniors are loyal and go for a provider they know and already have cover with — like health insurance. Unfortunately, this tactic is not the most effective way of finding the best value. It’s wise to go online and compare policies side by side and decide which policy is best suited to your needs.
- Have you considered an age specialist? Although some providers avoid offering cover to seniors, there are others that specialize in policies for seniors. As these providers only offer seniors travel insurance policies, you may find the application process a little smoother.
- How much cover do you need? Different providers offer different levels of cover. It is worth assessing what an appropriate amount of cover is for your needs. You may decide to take out a policy with a reduced amount of cover for a lower premium rate.
- Are you eligible for the policy? It’s especially important to check the eligibility on the policy you are considering before you spend time checking coverage levels as you may be over the provider’s maximum age limit. When you compare policies, check the maximum age limit before you spend time checking the plan for suitability.
- Should you select the optional extras? Most senior travel insurers offer a range of additional options — like rental — that you can add to the policy to give a more comprehensive range of cover.
Compare travel insurance policies
While some travel insurers don’t offer discounted cover to people ages 60 or 70 or older, there are some ways to get cheap travel insurance as a senior.
- Choose a lower level of cover. Instead of forking out for a comprehensive policy, consider a basic medical-only policy that only offers essential cover. Alternatively, mid-range policies offer many of the same benefits as comprehensive policies but usually have lower benefit limits and, therefore, a lower price.
- Choose an annual multi-trip policy. If you’re a frequent traveler who takes two or more trips a year, you might be able to save a substantial amount of money by investing in an annual multi-trip policy. This covers all your trips over a 12-month period and is cheaper than taking out a single trip policy for each individual journey.
- Don’t purchase additional options you don’t need. If you don’t really need additional cover for specified items or for a golfing holiday, don’t add these extra benefits to your policy.
- Consider senior-specific travel insurance brands. Brands that claim to cater especially to seniors usually offer policies that are underwritten by the same insurers and have the same terms and conditions as other travel insurance brands.
- Shop around. The most important thing you can do when hunting for discount travel insurance for seniors is compare your options and shop around.
- Free cover for dependents. If you plan on traveling with younger grandchildren, you may be able to get free cover for additional travelers under 21.
I’m ready to apply for coverage
If you’re ready to compare policies from different insurance providers online, just put your travel details into the quote form above (no personal details are required until you’re ready to buy). Always remember to look through the conditions of each insurance policy before submitting your application to ensure that you have an adequate level of cover while traveling.