We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Cruise Travel Insurance Finder
Get cruise travel insurance with extra coverage too before you travel the high seas.
Getting the right travel insurance for your trip is important, especially when you’re embarking on a cruise. From on-board medical expenses to missed departures and severe weather conditions, cruises can be affected by unique risks.
Cruise insurance is a smart choice because it provides financial protection against a variety of risks, including medical care, emergency medical evacuation, inclement weather and lost baggage, allowing you to travel the wide ocean with peace of mind.
While most cruise lines offer their own insurance policies, you can typically get a better value if you purchase coverage from a travel insurer. Standalone cruise insurance policies tend to offer higher benefits and additional coverage options, often for a cheaper price.
Compare cruise travel insurance plans
What’s in this guide?
What are the cruise-specific features?
- Emergency medical evacuation. If the medical crew can’t give you the care you need on the ship, you’ll be covered for travel off the ship to a medical facility — some policies let you choose.
- Return home early. If you need to cut your trip short for any reason and abandon your cruise, cruise insurance will cover the transportation costs to get you home.
- Port of call change. If the cruise provider changes your cruise itinerary before departure and you choose to continue with your cruise, your policy will cover you for any inconvenience.
- Shipboard service disruption. If a fire, virus or mechanical breakdown forces the cruise line to change your itinerary after the cruise has begun, your policy will compensated for the inconvenience.
- Pre-paid excursion reimbursement. You’ll be compensated for your pre-paid excursions if the itinerary is changed by the cruise line after departure.
- Missed cruise departure. If bad weather causes your flight to be delayed and you miss your cruise, you’ll be compensated for the cost of rejoining your ship.
- Non-medical evacuation. If you need to leave your trip for reasons because of a natural disaster or civil unrest, you’ll be reimbursed for the cost of transportation home or to the nearest safe place.
What else does travel insurance cover on a cruise?
Comprehensive travel insurance policies typically offer the following benefits:
- Overseas medical expenses. Coverage for the emergency medical, hospital, surgical and ambulance costs if you fall ill or are injured overseas.
- Emergency medical evacuation. Coverage if you need to be transported to a properly equipped medical facility.
- Trip cancellation and curtailment. If you have to cancel or cut your vacation short, you’re covered for cancellation fees and deposits for travel, accommodation and tours.
- Trip interruption. You’re covered for travel, accommodations and meals if your trip is interrupted by events beyond your control — like a medical emergency.
- Baggage loss. If your baggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your journey, you’re covered for the cost of its repair or replacement. You can increase your protection to include coverage for phones, cameras and laptops.
- Financial default. If you have to cancel your trip because of financial default of a travel supplier, travel insurance provides financial protection.
- Baggage delay. If your luggage is misplaced or misdirected, you’ll be paid an emergency allowance to buy essentials like clothing and toiletries.
- Travel delay. When bad weather, stolen passports or traffic accidents delay your travel plans, you’re covered for additional travel, food and hotel.
How does missed cruise departure coverage actually work?
Nearly every cruise insurance policy will offer cover you for missed cruise departure. Under this benefit, you’ll be covered for the costs incurred to catch up to your cruise if you miss its departure.
However, your reason for missing the cruise needs to be covered by the plan. Usually policies will cover for reason like bad weather that causes your connecting flight to be delayed, or if a traffic accident prevents you from catching your cruise ship on time.
In these circumstances, you’ll be covered for the money you spend to catch your cruise, accommodations, food and pre-paid, nonrefundable trip payments for the portion of your cruise that you miss.
Will I still be covered for other losses with a cruise policy?
If you’re considering a cruise insurance policy but you’re unsure if it will offer the benefits of a standard travel insurance policy. Cruise insurance offers all the usual features of a travel insurance policy, but includes additional benefits to provide much-needed coverage when cruising, including:
- Trip cancellation and interruption.
- Medical and hospital expenses.
- Emergency medical evacuation.
- Lost, stolen, and delayed baggage and personal items.
- Lost and stolen passports.
- Travel delay.
- Financial default.
But you’ll also get the coverage you need to protect you during your cruise, including missed cruise departure, shipboard service disruption and more.
How is cruise insurance different than insurance offered by the cruise line?
When you book your cruise vacation, you could be offered insurance when you book. While purchasing insurance directly from a cruise line may seem convenient, you’ll save money if you buy coverage from a travel insurance provider.
Cruise line insurance plans can be limited and come with a range of restrictions, such as:
- Low benefit limits for emergency medical assistance, treatment and transportation.
- Minimal covered events for trip cancellation or trip interruption claims.
- No coverage if your tour supplier or cruise line operator goes bankrupt.
You’ll have better coverage for a lower rate if you purchase your insurance directly from a provider. Start comparing cruise insurance policies at finder.com to find the travel insurance protection that’s perfect for your needs.
Ask an Expert