We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
AXA Assistance USA travel insurance review
Compare tailored travel insurance options for your trip from AXA Assistance
If you’re going on a trip, it’s hard to plan for the unexpected. Losing your luggage after a flight, an emergency medical situation or a family emergency can ruin your vacation and be a burden on your wallet. Travel insurance can cover you for traveling emergencies, saving you money and time. AXA Assistance USA offers comprehensive and reliable coverage, whether you’re traveling domestically or internationally.
AXA Assistance USA travel insurance is headquartered in Illinois and is underwritten by the experts at American Modern Home Insurance Company. American Modern Home Insurance has been offering comprehensive, specialty insurance since 1965.
With over 50 years of experience, AXA Assistance knows how to respond to travelers in distress. It strives to meet the needs of all kinds of travelers with the variety of plans.
Compare AXA Assistance USA coverage options
AXA Assistance USA travel insurance policies
Choose the coverage that suits your travel needs with either a single-trip or annual multi-trip policy that can be personalized with an Adventure, Gold, Silver or Platinum Plan.
This plan is for travelers who only travel once or twice a year. It offers the same protection and coverage as an annual multi-trip policy to people between the ages of 18 to 86.
If you’re a frequent traveler, taking more than three trips a year, this plan will cover you between the ages of 18 to 76. Children under 18 are covered if they’re traveling with at least one insured adult.
Silver, Gold, Platinum or Adventure plans
Compare AXA’s plans to find one that meets your needs.
|Benefits||Silver Plan||Gold Plan||Platinum Plan||Adventure Product|
|Trip cancellation||Full cost of trip||Full cost of trip||Full cost of trip||Full cost of trip|
|Trip interruption||Full cost of trip||150% of trip cost||150% of trip cost||150% of trip cost|
|Trip delay||$100–$500 daily||$200–$1000 daily||$300–$1250 daily||—|
|Accident & sickness medical expenses||$25,000||$100,000||$250,000||$50,000|
|Trip accidental death & dismemberment||$10,000||$25,000||$50,000||—|
|Common carrier accidental death & dismemberment||$25,000||$50,000||$100,000||$25,000|
|Emergency medical evacuation & repatriation||$100,000||$250,000||$500,000||$500,000|
|Emergency nonmedical evacuation due to catastrophe||—||$50,000||$100,000||—|
|Repatriation & remains||$10,000||$50,000||$100,000||—|
|Baggage delay||$100–$200 daily||$100–$300 daily||$200–$600 daily||$750|
|Security or political evacuation||—||—||$100,000||—|
|Baggage and personal effects||—||—||—||$2,500|
|Lost ski, dive, golf or recreation||—||—||—||$250|
|Sports equipment rental||—||—||—||$2,500|
|Search and rescue||—||—||—||$2,500|
Description of benefits
- Trip cancellation, interruption or delay. You’ll be reimburse up to 150% of your trip if it’s canceled or interrupted. In the case of a delay, you’ll get up to $1,250 reimbursement for each day you’re delayed.
- Emergency medical and other expenses. AXA Assistance pays up to $5 million for bodily injury, disease, illness, mountain rescue or hospital stay.
- Baggage. Coverage for the accidental loss, damage or theft of your baggage while traveling.
- Personal Liability. AXA Assistance covers up to $2 million if you’re at fault for injuring another person or if you damage someone else’s property.
- Winter sports. This coverage needs to be purchased separately and is only valid for single trips. For annual multi-trip policies, winter sports coverage is available for a total of 17 days.
Even beyond its comprehensive coverage, AXA Assistance allows you to add benefits that work for your travel plans. The following benefits can be added to the Silver, Gold and Platinum plans. Additional benefits are not available for the Adventure package.
|Benefit||Silver Plan||Gold Plan||Platinum Plan|
|Cancel for Work Reasons*||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Cancel for Any Reason*||–||Optional||Optional|
|Rental Car Collision||Optional||Optional||Optional|
*Must be purchased within 14 days of initial trip depositBack to top
Pre-existing medical conditions
If you have a pre-existing condition most insurance companies won’t cover your emergency medical-related expenses. In order to be covered for certain conditions you must contact AXA before you purchase coverage. You may only be covered for the following if AXA Assistance agrees in writing to cover you:
- Pre-existing medical conditions that you didn’t report for medical screening by AXA in order for you to receive coverage.
- Terminal medical condition you were diagnosed with.
- Medical conditions you’re aware you have but haven’t been diagnosed with.
- Medical conditions that require surgery, organ donation, investigation, or treatment at a nursing home, clinic or hospital.
- Medical conditions you, a close relative, or business associate suffers from and is aware of that could lead to a claim on your policy.
AXA will not cover you if:
- You travel against medical advice or if you fail to take medication or treatment for an existing condition.
- Surgery or treatment is the reason for your travel.
You are advised to contact AXA’s customer helpline at 1 (312) 935-3500 if your health changes after the start date of your policy to see if you are covered.
It’s always best to be honest about your health conditions to avoid AXA Assistance from denying your claim or cancelling your policy. Contact AXA if your health changes after the start date of your policy to be sure you’re covered.Back to top
AXA Travel insurance claims
When it’s time to make a claim, be sure to make it within 31 days of the incident and follow the guidelines below:
- Contact AXA Assistance for travel assistance, emergency medical assistance or arrangements for evacuation and medical repatriations.
- Contact the police or transportation carrier to file a report of theft or loss of property.
- Check your policy to ensure you’re covered.
- Review the claim form to make sure you have all supporting documents needed to make a claim.
Once you’ve completed these steps, request the relevant claim form from AXA:
- Trip cancellation.
- Trip interruption or delay.
- Medical expenses.
- Lost, delayed, stolen or damaged baggage.
- Accidental death and dismemberment.
- Car rental collision damage.
With a travel insurance policy from AXA Assistance, you can travel comfortably knowing that you’re covered for the unexpected. Before you make any travel insurance decisions, always compare your options.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert