Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
AXA Assistance USA travel insurance review
Multiple tiers of coverage for all types of travelers — including adventurous ones.
AXA Assistance USA offers comprehensive and reliable coverage, whether you’re traveling domestically or internationally. It has several coverage tiers to suit all types of travelers and budgets — but preexisting conditions can be tricky.
Compare AXA Assistance USA policies
What travel insurance policies does AXA Assistance USA offer?
You can choose between single-trip or annual multi-trip policy that can be personalized with an Adventure, Gold, Silver or Platinum Plan.
- Single trip. This plan is for travelers who only travel once or twice a year. It offers the same protection and coverage as an annual multi-trip policy to people between the ages of 18 to 86.
- Annual multi-trip. If you’re a frequent traveler, taking more than three trips a year, this plan will cover you between the ages of 18 to 76. Children under 18 are covered if they’re traveling with at least one insured adult.
AXA’s travel insurance tiers
AXA offers plans that are customized to the needs of various travelers.
|Benefits||Silver Plan||Gold Plan||Platinum Plan||Adventure Product|
|Trip cancellation||Full cost of trip||Full cost of trip||Full cost of trip||Full cost of trip|
|Trip interruption||Full cost of trip||150% of trip cost||150% of trip cost||150% of trip cost|
|Trip delay||$100–$500 daily||$200–$1000 daily||$300–$1250 daily||—|
|Accident & sickness medical expenses||$25,000||$100,000||$250,000||$50,000|
|Trip accidental death & dismemberment||$10,000||$25,000||$50,000||—|
|Common carrier accidental death & dismemberment||$25,000||$50,000||$100,000||$25,000|
|Emergency medical evacuation & repatriation||$100,000||$250,000||$500,000||$500,000|
|Emergency nonmedical evacuation due to catastrophe||—||$50,000||$100,000||—|
|Repatriation & remains||$10,000||$50,000||$100,000||—|
|Baggage delay||$100–$200 daily||$100–$300 daily||$200–$600 daily||$750|
|Security or political evacuation||—||—||$100,000||—|
|Baggage and personal effects||—||—||—||$2,500|
|Lost ski, dive, golf or recreation||—||—||—||$250|
|Sports equipment rental||—||—||—||$2,500|
|Search and rescue||—||—||—||$2,500|
What’s covered by my AXA travel insurance policy?
The table above has the most accurate breakdown of coverage. But most policies offer these benefits:
- Trip cancellation, interruption or delay. You’ll be reimburse up to 150% of your trip if it’s canceled or interrupted. In the case of a delay, you’ll get up to $1,250 reimbursement for each day you’re delayed.
- Emergency medical and other expenses. AXA Assistance pays up to $5 million for bodily injury, disease, illness, mountain rescue or hospital stay.
- Baggage. Coverage for the accidental loss, damage or theft of your baggage while traveling.
- Personal Liability. AXA Assistance covers up to $2 million if you’re at fault for injuring another person or if you damage someone else’s property.
- Winter sports. This coverage needs to be purchased separately and is only valid for single trips. For annual multi-trip policies, winter sports coverage is available for a total of 17 days.
Can I add more coverage to my policy?
Yes. You can add these extras to the Silver, Gold and Platinum plans.
- Pre-existing medical condition waiver — must be purchased within 14 days of initial trip deposit
- Cancel for work reasons
- Cancel for any reason (CFAR) coverage
- Rental car collision.
Additional benefits are not available for the Adventure package.
How does AXA treat pre-existing conditions?
If you have — or suspect you have — a medical condition, you’ll need to contact AXA before buying a policy.
Under a regular policy, you may only be covered for the following events:
- Pre-existing medical conditions that you didn’t report for medical screening by AXA in order for you to receive coverage.
- Terminal medical condition you were diagnosed with.
- Medical conditions you’re aware you have but haven’t been diagnosed with.
- Medical conditions that require surgery, organ donation, investigation, or treatment at a nursing home, clinic or hospital.
- Medical conditions you, a close relative, or business associate suffers from and is aware of that could lead to a claim on your policy.
AXA will not cover you if:
- You travel against medical advice or if you fail to take medication or treatment for an existing condition.
- Surgery or treatment is the reason for your travel.
How do I file a travel insurance claim with AXA?
AXA accepts claims within 31 days of the incident. You’ll need to complete and submit the relevant claims form, along with any other supporting documents:
- Trip cancellation
- Trip interruption or delay
- Medical expenses
- Lost, delayed, stolen or damaged baggage
- Accidental death and dismemberment
- Car rental collision damage
AXA stands out for offering tiered travel insurance coverage, and a separate policy for adventurous travelers. You can purchase a single or multi-trip policy, but either way, it’s a good idea to compare travel insurance companies to ensure you’re getting the best possible rate.
Ask an Expert