SunTrust Business Cash Rewards Credit Card review
A card with high cash back in two categories, a long intro APR for purchases and no annual fee.
- Get this card if your business spends up to $2,000 a month on office supplies and gas.
- Pick something else if you spend more or want stronger cash back in general.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 5%
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 months (then 12.24% to 19.24% variable)
Recommended credit score
|Welcome Offer||5% cash back on the first $2,000 spent monthly on office supplies and gas in the first 12 months|
|Rewards||After first year cashback bonus, 3% back on the first $2,000 spent monthly on office supplies and gas, then 1% after that and on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 12 months (then 12.24% to 19.24% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||12.24% to 19.24% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
Expert reviewSunTrust Business Cash Rewards Credit Card can be a good card for businesses that spend up to $2,000 every month on office supplies and gas. You won’t lose any of your rewards to an annual fee, and if you redeem your cash back with an ACH deposit to a SunTrust checking or savings account, you’re eligible for a bonus.
If you’re looking to invest in high-dollar items for your business, use your card to take advantage of a long intro APR period on purchases.
The only drawback: You must live in SunTrust’s service area of 11 Southeastern states or Washington, DC.
How to apply for the SunTrust Business Cash Rewards Credit Card?
- Go to the SunTrust website and find the SunTrust Business Cash Rewards Credit Card in the list of small business offers. Click Apply now.
- Complete the application form with your personal and business information.
- Review and submit your application.
What states fall within SunTrust’s footprint?
You can take advantage of SunTrust’s benefits — including its suite of credit cards — if you live in:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- Washington, DC.
- West Virginia
- Cash back. Get 5% back on combined purchases of office supplies and gas on up to $2,000 in purchases a month for the first 12 months your account is open. After the first 12 months, your rate reverts to 3% on up to $2,000 in office supplies and gas purchases. When you reach the cap in your first and subsequent years, your rate reverts to 1%. Add to this the 1% cash back you’ll earn on all other business purchases.
- Intro APR period on purchases. Take advantage of a 0% intro APR period on purchases in the first 12 months your account is open. After that, a variable APR of 12.24% to 19.24% applies.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee for this card’s perks, making it a good choice for small businesses in the long term.
How do I redeem my cash back with the SunTrust Business Cash Rewards Credit Card?
After you’ve earned at least $5, log in to your online account or call 855-574-2423 to redeem your rewards.
You can have your cash back deposited into your SunTrust checking or savings account or applied as a statement credit.
When you redeem your cash back directly into your business savings, checking or money market account, you’re eligible for a cash deposit bonus of 10% or 25% based on your business deposit relationship with SunTrust. If you’ve earned $500 in cash back, you might see a bonus reward of $50 or $125.
You’ll also like …
- Mastercard Easy Savings Program. Earn automatic rebates of up to 25% at participating merchants, including Bing Ads and Avis.
- Mastercard benefits. Get extended warranties and purchase protection for up to 90 days against theft or damage. When traveling, you’ll also get accident insurance of up to $250,000 against death and dismemberment, roadside and travel emergency assistance and more.
- Employee cards. Earn more cash back on your employees’ spending, and set spending limits for peace of mind.
- Online management tools. Stay on top of your business’s spending and pay your bills through your online account.
What to watch out for
- Foreign transaction fees. Each time you swipe your card outside of the States, you’ll pay a fee equal to 3% of the transaction. If you often travel abroad, transaction fees can add up quickly.
- Penalty APR. After two consecutive late payments, SunTrust may impose a penalty APR of 26.24% to your account. To revert that rate, you’ll need to keep your account in good standing and make minimum payments on time for at least six consecutive months.
- Loss of intro APR period. With only one single late payment, SunTrust may revoke your intro APR, imposing the current variable APR on purchases.
- No intro APR period on balance transfers. The card comes with an intro APR period on purchases, but not on balance transfers. If that’s what you’re looking for, you may want to compare balance transfer cards for businesses.
- No signup bonus. Many competitors offer a bonus during your first few months of card membership after you spend a specific amount. Unfortunately, this card has no such offer.
Compare business credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What size business is the SunTrust Business Cash Rewards Credit Card good for?
The card could great for small businesses that spend up to $2,000 each month on gas, office supplies or both. Doing so earns you up to $1,200 cash back for the first year and $720 from your second year on — just in these two categories alone.
If you hold a SunTrust business checking or savings account, you’re eligible for more cash back when what you’ve earned is deposited directly into your account. This effectively increases your cashback rate to up to 6.25% on gas and office supplies in your first year and up to 3.75% starting in your second year.
What should I know before I apply?
To open a SunTrust Business Cash Rewards Credit Card, you must be an authorized representative of your company and live within SunTrust’s service area.
You’ll also need to provide information like:
- Business name and contact information.
- Business tax ID number.
- Information about your business and its finances.
The guarantor must also provide their:
- Full name and contact information.
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- Annual income.
What credit score do I need?
SunTrust pulls the personal credit score of all guarantors listed on your application. For the best chance at a low APR and high credit line, apply with a good to excellent personal credit score of 670 or higher.
SunTrust Business Cash Rewards Credit Card reviews and complaints
As of October 2020, SunTrust is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau though it has an A+ rating. As of this writing, SunTrust has 59 negative reviews and nearly 990 complaints. These reviews combined with the BBB rating give it a composite score of 1.03 out of 5.
Many negative reviews revolve around customer service issues and fees but don’t speak to the credit card specifically.
How long will it take to get my SunTrust Business Cash Rewards Credit Card?
After you apply, you can expect to hear back in seven to 10 business days. Your decision letter arrives by mail with your new credit card.
No worries if you’re feeling impatient. Call the credit approval line at 866-243-7719 after two to three business days to learn whether you’re approved. You’ll need identifying information, such as your Social Security number, to access the decision.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the SunTrust Business Mobile app. Use the app to pay your bills, monitor your account, find an ATM and more.
- Pay on time. Paying late can hurt with a penalty fee of up to $49. After two late payments, SunTrust may impose a penalty APR of 26.24%, which can last for six consecutive months of paying the minimum on time. You’ll also lose your intro APR period on purchases.
- Avoid paying fees. This card is heavy on fees. You’ll pay a fee for foreign transactions, balance transfers, cash advances, overdraft, late payments, returned payments, stopped payments and research.
- Customer service. Call 800-786-8787 (800-SUNTRUST) for automated assistance 24/7.
If you’re looking for a simple, no-annual-fee card for your business, the SunTrust Business Cash Rewards Credit Card could be a good choice. You’ll earn high cash back on gas and office supplies, with an intro APR period on purchases.
However, if you’re looking for a balance transfer card or want to compare other card options, read our guide to business credit cards to find the best one you’re eligible for.