Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to increase your upload speed
Singapore has the world's fastest upload speed on average, but is your service letting you down?
Upload speeds and download speeds in Singapore can be lightning-fast. But those who are missing out may find uploading things to be a time-consuming process. Here’s what you need to know about increasing your upload speed.
How to increase your upload speed
- Try using a wired connection. If you’re currently using a Wi-Fi connection, try switching to an ethernet cable, as wired connections have a faster upload speed.
- Clear your temporary files. Clearing your history, cache, and cookies can increase the overall speed of your computer, and this will increase your upload speed in turn.
- Remove other devices from your network. Having many devices connected to your internet at once can really slow down speeds, so try removing these. This can include wireless printers and mobile phones too.
- Remove malware. Malware is one of the things that can slow your computer’s speed down most, so you should make sure you don’t have any viruses. You can do this by downloading antivirus software and by making sure that it’s working properly.
- Change your DNS settings. Different domain name servers (DNS) have different speeds. You can change your DNS by finding the fastest ones and entering the code manually in your internet settings or by downloading tools to help get the fastest ones. Two reliable tools are Google DNS and OpenDNS, but there are also some professional level ones that you have to pay for.
- Update device drivers. If your device drivers are outdated it can really slow you down. You can update them by clicking ‘update device drivers’ in your network adapter’s options menu.
- Upload at off-peak times. This one isn’t particularly helpful if you need to upload quickly now, but off-peak times have much quicker speeds, and this is something to consider when choosing the time you upload something.
Change your broadband provider
One of the most common reasons your upload speed could be slow may be based on your provider and the package you have. Different providers perform better in certain areas of Singapore, and it could be worth shopping around to see if you can secure a better service by switching.
Frequently asked questions
What is the average upload speed in Singapore?
According to the Speedtest Global Index, Singapore has an average download speed of 197.26 Mbps and an average upload speed of 208.26 Mbps. These figures – which saw Singapore rank first in the world for Fixed Broadband speed – were correct as of March 2020.
What is considered a good upload speed?
You may find anything below 6Mbps a little sluggish at times, depending on how you use your service (along with other factors). Anything above 6Mbps is definitely a good upload speed.
How can I check my internet speed?
It’s very easy to check your internet speed with our test.
More guides on Finder
Standard Chartered Bonus Saver Review
Earn boosted interest rates on the first S$80,000 of your Standard Chartered Bonus$aver account balance when you engage in any one (or more) of the five eligible categories.
UOB Stash Account Review
Benefit from higher interest rates as you maintain or grow your monthly balance with UOB Stash Account.
How to buy Cardano (ADA) in Singapore
Cardano (ADA) is an entirely new cryptocurrency network built from scratch. See what makes it unique, and where you can buy it.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
Metamask wallet review and guide
All you need to know about Metamask – the browser extension digital wallet and a user-friendly bridge to the world of Ethereum decentralised applications.
How to buy Dogecoin
This guide explores how to buy and sell Dogecoin on an exchange as well as where you should store your cryptocurrency.
Find the best trading platforms in Singapore (2021)
Compare stock trading apps to find out which app has all the tools and resources you need to reach your investment goals.
How to stake Ethereum
Learn how to earn ETH coins by locking up ETH with this guide.