Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to increase your upload speed
Singapore has the world's fastest upload speed on average, but is your service letting you down?
Upload speeds and download speeds in Singapore can be lightning-fast. But those who are missing out may find uploading things to be a time-consuming process. Here’s what you need to know about increasing your upload speed.
How to increase your upload speed
- Try using a wired connection. If you’re currently using a Wi-Fi connection, try switching to an ethernet cable, as wired connections have a faster upload speed.
- Clear your temporary files. Clearing your history, cache, and cookies can increase the overall speed of your computer, and this will increase your upload speed in turn.
- Remove other devices from your network. Having many devices connected to your internet at once can really slow down speeds, so try removing these. This can include wireless printers and mobile phones too.
- Remove malware. Malware is one of the things that can slow your computer’s speed down most, so you should make sure you don’t have any viruses. You can do this by downloading antivirus software and by making sure that it’s working properly.
- Change your DNS settings. Different domain name servers (DNS) have different speeds. You can change your DNS by finding the fastest ones and entering the code manually in your internet settings or by downloading tools to help get the fastest ones. Two reliable tools are Google DNS and OpenDNS, but there are also some professional level ones that you have to pay for.
- Update device drivers. If your device drivers are outdated it can really slow you down. You can update them by clicking ‘update device drivers’ in your network adapter’s options menu.
- Upload at off-peak times. This one isn’t particularly helpful if you need to upload quickly now, but off-peak times have much quicker speeds, and this is something to consider when choosing the time you upload something.
Change your broadband provider
One of the most common reasons your upload speed could be slow may be based on your provider and the package you have. Different providers perform better in certain areas of Singapore, and it could be worth shopping around to see if you can secure a better service by switching.
Frequently asked questions
What is the average upload speed in Singapore?
According to the Speedtest Global Index, Singapore has an average download speed of 197.26 Mbps and an average upload speed of 208.26 Mbps. These figures – which saw Singapore rank first in the world for Fixed Broadband speed – were correct as of March 2020.
What is considered a good upload speed?
You may find anything below 6Mbps a little sluggish at times, depending on how you use your service (along with other factors). Anything above 6Mbps is definitely a good upload speed.
How can I check my internet speed?
It’s very easy to check your internet speed with our test.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Robinhood stock from Singapore
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from Singapore.
How long does it take to get a personal loan?
Find out what affects the turnaround time of a personal loan and get tips on how to speed up the process.
Credit cards for foreigners in Singapore
Compare credit cards for foreigners living in Singapore and learn what details you need to provide for your application.
Meet Singapore’s new digital banks
The four winners for the digital bank licenses in Singapore has been finalised. Find out how it’ll benefit retail customers and SMEs in Singapore.
OshKosh B’gosh discount codes and coupons April 2021: Free shipping on orders $35 and up
OshKosh B’gosh has the cutest gear for newborns through to size 8 children’s sizes. Get everything for your little one here.
Circles.Life Singapore Review
Love data? You’ll love Circles.Life. Get up to 100GB of data for as low as $38 each month.
DBS credit card promotions 2021
We have covered the latest DBS credit card promotions, welcome offers and rewards to help you narrow down on your search.
UOB One Account Review
Find out what you need to do to unlock the highest interest rate offered by UOB One Account.
How to buy stock in Airbnb (ABNB) in Singapore
This vacation-rental giant has finally gone public. Learn how to invest in Airbnb in Singapore.