Three-year fixed rate personal loans
Take your next financial step and pay it off over three years with a competitive fixed rate.
If you’re looking for a way to finance a large purchase, a holiday, or even an investment such as home renovations, consider a three-year fixed rate personal loan. These loans are suited to a wide range of needs. Find out what these loans are, how they work, how to compare them and if they are right for you.
Personal loans you can fix for 3 years
How do three-year fixed rate personal loans work?
When you apply for a fixed rate personal loan, the rate applied to your loan when you sign the contract will remain the same throughout the entire loan term. Typically, these loans have a loan term of three years, but some lenders offer a loan with a fixed rate term of three years but a total loan term of up to seven. A variable rate will then apply to the remainder of the term.
These loans can be either secured or unsecured, and other conditions such as fees and restrictions tend to differ depending on the lender. However, early repayment fees is generally a norm.
What types of these personal loans are available?
Three-year fixed rate loans can be used for various purposes and there are a few different types available:
- Three-year fixed rate car loans. If you’re looking at buying a new or used car you will find various options for three-year fixed loans. As the loan is secured, you will be able to lock in a competitive low rate, depending on the lender.
- Three-year fixed rate secured loans. Even if you aren’t purchasing a vehicle, you can still consider a secured personal loan. If you hold equity in your home, have funds in a term deposit or own other high-value assets such as jewellery or boat, you may be able to use it to guarantee the loan.
- Three-year fixed rate unsecured loans. You can use funds from an unsecured loan to go on a holiday, consolidate debt, buy big-ticket items, or for any other purpose, and not risk a secured asset.
How you can compare your three-year fixed rate options
If you’re considering a three-year fixed rate loan as a financing option, it’s best to compare your options to find the right loan for you. Here are some features to look out for when comparing:
- The interest rate. You will be locked at this rate for three years, so make sure it’s competitive. When comparing your options on finder Singapore, you can sort comparison tables like the one above by clicking on the column heading. Remember, secured loans tend to have better rates than unsecured loans.
- The upfront and ongoing fees. Are there any application fees? Will you be charged monthly or annual fees? The effective interest rate (EIR) will give you an idea of the true cost of the loan, as it incorporates the rate and fees.
- The other fees you may be charged. Fixed rate loans often attract fees for making additional repayments, accessing redraw facilities (if available) and repaying your loan ahead of time. Be sure to check these before you apply.
Weighing up the benefits of fixed rate loans
- You can lock in a competitive rate that stays in place for three years
- A three-year term can help keep your repayments low, depending on how much you borrow
- A number of lenders offer three-year fixed rate personal loans, so you have many loans to compare
- If market conditions improve, you won’t benefit from lowered repayments
- You will usually incur a fee for early or additional repayments
- If your situation changes and you need to switch to a loan with a longer loan term, you may also incur a fee
Frequently asked questions