Sezzle financing review
Buy now, pay over the next six weeks — and forget about interest and hidden fees.
With Sezzle, you can pay for everyday items in smaller chunks, rather than in one lump sum. This financing solution partners with hundreds of online stores, letting customers divvy up payments over a six-week period instead of paying all at once.
But you’ll need to make a down payment — usually around 25% of the total cost — and pay off the rest within six weeks.
Sezzle might be right for you if …
- You don’t want to hurt your credit score. Sezzle performs a soft credit check, so applying for financing won't affect your credit score.
- You want to avoid prepayment penalties. Have some extra cash this month? Pay off your Sezzle balance early without incurring any penalties or fees.
Sezzle might not be right for you if …
- You can't afford the down payment. Sezzle requires a down payment of 25% or more at the time of checkout.
- You won't be able to pay back your total within six weeks. Unlike other financing options, you have to pay your Sezzle balance in a fairly short amount of time.
Sezzle boasts an impressive 4.8/5 rating on Trustpilot. Shoppers applaud the straightforward, easy-to-use app and the ability to reschedule payment timelines as needed.
On Better Business Bureau, several customers complain about difficulties with refunds and unhelpful customer service reps.
How does Sezzle work?
Sezzle is a financing option that some online stores offer at checkout. Sezzle's website lists its partners, so you can check if your favorite vendor offers this option.
If you choose to use Sezzle, you'll need to create an account before making a purchase. An approval decision will be made instantly — no hard credit check required. If you're approved, you’ll make the required down payment up front, then three equal payments are scheduled over the next six weeks.
How does Sezzle make money?
Merchants pay Sezzle a fee for its financing services. The company also collects fees for late and rescheduled payments.
What payment methods can you use to pay Sezzle installments?
You’ll need to link your bank account or use your debit or credit card. Capital One credit cards and American Express payment services are not accepted.
Longer term financing with Sezzle
If you need to finance a larger purchase that'll take longer to pay off, you could consider Ally Lending, which is a partnership between Ally bank and Sezzle. With Ally Lending, you can finance purchases up to $40,000 and pay it off with 3- to 60-month terms.
To use Ally Lending, log into your Sezzle account and go shopping. You'll see financed by Ally at checkout if a longer term loan is available.
Sezzle pros and cons
- 48-hour grace period. Missed a payment? Pay it within 48 hours of the late notice, and Sezzle will waive the $10 late fee.
- No set credit limit. Sezzle doesn't use traditional credit limits. Instead, it considers how often you use Sezzle, payment history and your open orders.
- Shop and manage your account on-the-go. Download the Sezzle app to access your account, make payments and shop.
- Pay no interest. Unlike other Buy Now, Pay Later services, you’ll pay 0% interest on your purchase.
- No credit reporting. Sezzle doesn't report to any major credit bureaus, so paying off your balance won't boost your credit.
- Late fees. You’ll pay a fee for late payments beyond the 48-hour grace period. Sezzle’s late fee is one of the highest among competitors that charge a late fee.
- Limited payment options. Not all credit cards are accepted.
Does Sezzle check your credit?
Sezzle performs a soft credit check, which means applying for financing through Sezzle won't affect your credit score.
Can Sezzle help my credit?
No, Sezzle doesn't report to any major credit bureaus, so paying off your balance won't boost your credit.
We should note that even if a financing service doesn’t report to credit bureaus, paying your installments with a credit card can help you build credit in some cases. Be sure to make your credit card payments on time and that your credit card provider reports to one of the major credit bureaus.
Is Sezzle safe?
Yes, Sezzle takes your security seriously. The company has quarterly scans and yearly audits to make sure it is compliant with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) to ensure your private information is safe. Sezzle is currently certified at PCI Level 1, the highest level of compliance.
How to get approved for Sezzle
To use Sezzle, you need to:
- Be at least 18 years old (19 in Alabama)
- Have a valid US or Canadian mobile number and email address
If you meet those criteria, you can apply for Sezzle financing on the checkout page of any store that accepts it. You can also visit Sezzle's website to create an account and start shopping.
To create an account directly with Sezzle:
- Go to Sezzle's website.
- Select Sign Up.
- Choose Shopper Sign Up.
- Enter your name, email and birthday and create a PIN.
- Hit Submit.
You'll receive an instant approval decision after pressing the Submit button.
You get one free reschedule option per order, and two $5 reschedules after that. So if you don't have the money to make an on time payment, you can reschedule the Sezzle payment to avoid a late fee.
However, you're charged $10 if your payment doesn't go through — for example, if your bank account balance is too low or your card is declined. But Sezzle will waive the $10 fee if you make the payment within 48 hours.
Sezzle interest rates
Sezzle never charges interest — as long as you're approved and make payments on time, you won't be charged for this service.
We should note that even if the financing service doesn’t charge interest, if you use your credit card to make installment payments, interest rates associated with your credit card apply.
Sezzle customer service
Reach out to customer services representatives the following ways:
- Call 888-540-1867
- Fill out Sezzle’s online form
Compare buy now, pay later services
Select up to 4 services and click "Compare" to see how the BNPL competition stacks up to one another.
What is Sezzle Up?
Similar to Sezzle, Sezzle Up allows you to pay for purchases in four installments. The key difference is that your payment history will be reported to credit bureaus. This is both a pro and a con — miss a payment and it can hurt your credit, make your payments on time and boost your score.
When you join Sezzle Up, your spending limit will increase and you’ll have the opportunity to increase it even more by making timely payments.
How to sign up for Sezzle Up
- Link your bank account.
- Pay for your order.
- Enter your Social Security number to verify your identity.
After joining Sezzle Up, you’ll have 90 days to cancel your account before any credit bureaus receive your activity report.