A desktop-based money management tool for individuals and small businesses.Quicken is a money-management tool offering a granular way for individuals and small businesses to oversee their finances. But this desktop-based software will run you anywhere from $34.99 to $99.99 a year.
$34.99 per month
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
If you’re an individual or business owner who wants to track monthly expenses, retirement accounts, debts and more, Quicken may fit the bill. It’s one of the oldest money management systems on the market and allows users to pay bills, generate tax forms and track the value of their homes straight from the software. Plus, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
But even though it has a mobile app, it’s primarily desktop-based. If you don’t mind sitting down at a computer to manage your finances, you may enjoy Quicken. But if you like to do everything straight from your phone, there may be a better budgeting tool out there for you.
How much does Quicken cost?Quicken has four plans for Windows users and three plans for Mac users. All plans give you access to a desktop and mobile version of the software. When you select a package, you’ll have the option of buying a one-year or two-year subscription.
|Deluxe||$49.99||Everything in the Starter plan, plus:|
|Premier||$74.99||Everything in the Deluxe plan, plus:|
|Home & Business (Windows only)||$99.99||Everything in the Premier plan, plus:|
How do I open a Quicken account?
Sign up for Quicken by following the steps below:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the official Quicken website, select either Quicken for Windows or Quicken for Mac.
- Find which plan you’d like to purchase, use the dropdown menu to choose the 1-year plan or 2-year plan, then click Buy Now.
- Fill out your payment and account information, review your order and complete your purchase.
From there, you can download and install the Quicken software onto your computer.
How does Quicken work?Quicken allows users to create budgets, track expenses, manage investments and debts, pay bills, generate tax forms, track the value of their homes and more.
While Quicken is primarily a desktop-based software, the company recently released a mobile app for users. Its software connects with more than 6,000 financial institutions.
Is Quicken safe to use?
You could argue that Quicken is one of the safest money management tools on the market because all your information is stored on your local computer. If you’re someone who would rather manually import transactions and not access a web-based software, you can have peace of mind knowing your information is stored safely on your home computer.Quicken uses 256-bit encryption and firewall-protected servers to protect your data. Users also have the option to password-protect any data files they download from Quicken.
What are the pros and cons of Quicken?Quicken is one of the oldest and most well-known money management tools out there. Some pros and cons include:
- Money-back guarantee. Quicken doesn’t offer a free trial, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Data access guarantee. If your Quicken membership expires, you can still view, edit and export your data.
- Discounts. Quicken often has discounts where new customers can get 10% off their purchase.
- Tons of features. Pay bills, track the value of your home, generate tax forms, and more with Quicken.
- Computer-based system. Users must download and install Quicken software on their computer, which can feel a bit dated as most tools today are web-based only.
- Limited app accessibility. Users can download the Quicken app, but this version only allows you to check your accounts and enter manual transactions.
- Subscription-based. The $34.99 to $99.99 fee you pay per year can get expensive.
- Learning curve. Quicken is jam-packed with features, so it may take new customers a while to get set up and going.
But if you’re looking for a cheaper service that isn’t desktop-based, check out our guide to budgeting for beginners.