Public Sector Fleetcard review
This card’s solid rebates can be hampered by its steep fees.
- Get this card if you run a government fleet and want to file taxes more easily.
- Pick something else if you want to keep costs low.
- Apply with a fair credit score of 580 or higher.
Up to 5
Cents off a gallon
Up to $120
Purchase APR (fixed)
Recommended credit score
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
The Public Sector Fleetcard is for government fleet managers who want to control costs and file taxes more easily. The card can be easily used within the Fuelman network of gas stations and maintenance brands, and comes with tools to limit spending on your cards. It also has an easy way to view itemized transaction details.
While you can earn fairly competitive volume discounts, these rebates can easily be wiped out by potentially high card costs. You may pay a program administration fee of up to 10 cents per gallon or $2 per transaction. Additionally, beware of using your card outside approved sites, which could carry fees of 10 cents per gallon or $3 per transaction. These fees — plus a bevy of other costs — hamper what’s otherwise a solid card.
How to apply for the Public Sector Fleetcard
- Go to the Fuelman website and click the Apply now button.
- Complete the application with details like your name, business name, business contact information and annual income.
- Review your application and submit it.
What credit score do I need?
You may be approved with a fair to excellent credit score of at least 580, though approval is never guaranteed. Keep in mind Fuelman will deem your account high-risk if your commercial credit score is below 530 or your personal credit score is below 670.
- Up to 5 cents per gallon in rebates based on fuel purchase volume. Get fairly competitive volume discounts. You can get a 1-cent-per-gallon rebate even when you buy under 300 gallons a month, which some cards don’t match. Meanwhile, the minimum threshold for the 5-cent-per gallon rebate is relatively low, at 3,001 monthly gallons purchased.
Note that fees dampen the card’s value. Fuelman may charge an administration fee of up to 10 cents per gallon or $2 per transaction. This can outweigh the rebate benefit.
|Monthly gallons purchased||Rebate per gallon|
|0 to 300||1 cent|
|301 to 600||2 cents|
|601 to 1,200||3 cents|
|1,201 to 3,000||4 cents|
|3,001 to 14,000||5 cents|
How do the Public Sector Fleetcard’s rebates stack up to those of other cards?
Click on the tabs below to see the rebates you’ll earn with other cards, as well as the required fuel volume.
|Gallons purchased per billing cycle||Rebate per gallon|
|0 to 299.99||0 cents|
|300 to 3,499.99||3 cents|
|3,500 to 7,999.99||4 cents|
|8,000 to 9,999.99||5 cents|
|10,000 or more||6 cents|
|Gallons purchased per billing period||Rebate per gallon|
|Under 500||1 cent|
|500 to 3,999||3 cents|
|4,000 to 6,999||4 cents|
|7,000 to 9,999||5 cents|
|10,000 or more||6 cents|
|Gallons purchased per month||RRebate per gallon|
|0 to 299||0 cent|
|300 to 2,999||3.5 cents|
|3,000 to 7,999||4 cents|
|8,000 to 9,999||5 cents|
|10,000 or more||6 cents|
- Immediate tax savings. Receive your tax exemptions as you’re billed instead of at rebate filing. Keep in mind that tax-exempt processing may come with a 1% fee.
- Tools to control and monitor spending. Limit card purchases to fuel or maintenance only, and set purchase limits by date, time and gallons. Get access to online account management tools and reports with itemized transaction details. Also, get billed with consolidated statements.
Get real-time email alerts for purchase exceptions, which helps you cut down on fraud. You can also view transactions as they’re made, at both gas stations and onsite fueling areas.
- Access to thousands of locations. There are thousands of brands in the Fuelman network, including gas stations and maintenance locations. You’ll find both major and independent brands.
Which brands are in the Fuelman network?
Check the Fuelman website to verify whether a location near you accepts your card. Here are a few of the major companies listed on the Fuelman website:
- Circle K
- Flying J
- Jiffy Lube
- Murphy USA
What to watch out for
- Fees. There are a few fees you’ll want to watch out for in particular. These include an administration fee and card fee, which Fleetcard will assess at its own discretion.
Even if you earned volume discounts, the card’s administration fee would put you in the red overall. Fuelman may also assess a fee of $10 per card per month, which many other fleet-card providers don’t charge.
That said, you can avoid most of the card’s other fees by doing such things as paying on time, submitting payments by check and avoiding big drops in your credit score.
|Fee||Purpose/When it applies||Amount|
|Minimum program administration fee||Fleetcard charges this as a service fee for:||Up to 10 cents per gallon or $2 per transaction.|
|Late fee||Failing to make the required payment by the due date.||12.25% of the new balance, with a minimum of $75.|
|Special network pricing||Using your card at certain sites or merchants.||10 cents per gallon or $3 per transaction, whichever is greater.|
|Exception handling fee||Sending a payment to an address besides the address displayed on the credit card statement.||$50|
|Pay-by-phone fee||Making a payment by calling Fuelman.|
|Credit card convenience fee||Making a payment via credit card.||Up to 3% of the payment amount.|
|Bank debit fees||Making a payment via bank debit.|
|Client-initiated EFT/ACH/wire fee||For making an EFT, ACH or wire payment.||Up to $50 per payment.|
|Returned payment fee||Making a payment that is returned or denied.||$50 or the maximum allowed by law, whichever is greater.|
|Report delivery fee||For receiving statements and fleet management reports by mail.||Up to $10 per report.|
|Optional report delivery fee||For receiving optional fleet management reports.||Up to $15 per report or up to $100 per quarter.|
|Tax-exempt processing and reporting fee||For purchasing Fuelman fuel tax-free at the point of sale.||1% of the total purchases.|
- Cap on rebates for volume discounts.
Each month, you can get a rebate on a maximum of 14,000 gallons of fuel.
- Higher costs for high-risk accounts.
If Fuelman deems your account to be high-risk, it may add an additional charge on each purchase of up to 30 cents per gallon.
When is my account considered high risk?
Fuelman determines account risk based on your credit score and payment history. It may classify your account as high risk if:
- Your commercial credit score is below 530.
- Your personal credit score is below 670.
- Your credit score drops by 51 or more points in a three-month rolling period.
- You have more than one late fee in a 12-month rolling period.
- You’re more than 30 days late on payments in a 12-month rolling period.
- You make a payment that’s not honored by your bank.
Compare other business cards for gas rewards
The Public Sector Fleetcard offers competitive volume discounts — and at relatively low minimums. However, you may find yourself in the red overall due to administration and card fees.
Consider other fleet cards based on rebates and fees, or compare small-business gas cards.