PetsBest pet insurance review Dec 2020
A suite of policy options and benefits that stand out from the pack
- Get a quote if you’re looking for fair rates on unlimited benefits.
- Pick something else if you’re unsure about the company’s claims processing.
Up to $1000
|Average monthly cost||$33|
|Types of policy||Wellness, Accident, Illness|
|Paid in ful|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
PetsBest offers a well-rounded suite of policy options, ranging from accident-only coverage to accident and illness plus wellness care. Plus, its value-added features like vet direct pay make settling insurance needs simple for customers. PetsBest also shows a long track record of satisfied customers, based on over a thousand customer reviews.
The biggest downside in recent days is the company’s longer than normal claims processing times. Since the company is working on this problem, check back on its customer service ratings to see if it gets resolved.
Otherwise, you can hold PetsBest beside other pet insurance policies to see which one works the best for you.
What's in this guide?
- How much is PetsBest pet insurance?
- How do I sign up?
- Pros and cons of PetsBest pet insurance
- PetsBest pet insurance reviews and complaints
- What pet insurance coverage does PetsBest offer?
- What extra benefits and add-ons does PetsBest offer?
- What's not covered?
- Alternatives to PetsBest pet insurance
- Frequently asked questions about PetsBest pet insurance
How much is PetsBest pet insurance?
PetsBest policies range from $17 to $30 for cats and $30 to $55 for dogs, based on the annual limit and deductible you set. With competitors’ accident and illness policies, you’d expect monthly payments around $20 for cats or $40 for dogs, putting PetsBest right at the norm.
PetsBest pet insurance quotes
We compared quotes with these profiles for pets in New York state.
|Breed||Age||Gender||Deductible||Reimbursement||Maximum benefit||Monthly rate|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||$500||70%||$5,000||$16.90|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||$250||90%||Unlimited||$32.19|
|Dog||Mixed breed – medium size||2 years||Female||$500||70%||$5,000||$28.55|
|Dog||Mixed breed – medium size||2 years||Female||$250||90%||Unlimited||$54.37|
Accident-only plan costs
Accident-only policies start at $9 per month for dogs and $6 per month for cats, no matter what breed you own. These prices trend on the cheap end for this type of policy.
Wellness plan costs
You can buy two different tiers of wellness coverage, costing either $16 per month or $26 per month. These prices are typical for the level of coverage offered.
Which discounts can I get?
You’ll get rewarded with savings on your pet insurance policy for:
- Multiple pets. Protect all your pets with a PetsBest policy for 5% off.
- Military service. If you or a family member serves in the military, you could qualify for a 5% discount.
How do I sign up?
PetsBest makes buying pet insurance snappy with online signups:
- Enter your ZIP code and click Get a quote.
- Enter basic details like your pet’s name, breed and age. Then, fill out your personal information. Click Get Your Quote.
- View the different policies and set your annual limit and deductible. Tap to add wellness coverage, add other pets, then click Continue.
- Review your purchase summary and enter your bank or credit card information.
- Read the disclosures and tap Submit payment.
Pros and cons of PetsBest pet insurance
- Unlimited annual benefits. Choose an unlimited annual maximum, so you don’t have to worry about maxing out your benefits if emergencies happen.
- Can pay vets directly. Work with vets that agree to take your insurance payments without requiring an upfront payment on your end.
- Covers hunting and some work accidents. Your accident coverage includes protection while hunting or if your pet works in a line of service like police work.
- 24/7 vet helpline. Get in touch with a vet for advice about your pet’s medical or behavior issues.
- Some pets only qualify for accident policies. If your pet has multiple pre-existing or chronic conditions, you may be offered an accident-only policy.
- Long claims processing times. While claims are usually handled in a few days, multiple customers have said that PetsBest is taking a long time to reimburse claims, as of September 2020. The company is working to correct this problem.
PetsBest pet insurance reviews and complaints
PetsBest holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), as of September 2020. However, a note on the company’s BBB profile shows that PetsBest has shown a pattern of complaints since May 2020.
Based on nearly 100 complaints and over 40 negative customer reviews, customers say that PetsBest has been slow to process claims, disabled its live chat feature and denied claims that customers think should be approved. The company released a statement acknowledging customers’ frustrations and explained that it’s working to correct this pattern.
PetsBest also holds a 4.1 out of 5 stars from over 1,000 Trustpilot reviews, as of September 2020. Recent reviews confirm that the company is struggling with long claims processing times, but otherwise shows positive reviews.
What pet insurance coverage does PetsBest offer?
With PetsBest, your four-legged friend roams under solid protection for medical care. That protection includes:
- Exam fees. When you take your furry companion to the vet, you won’t have to worry about paying exam fees out of pocket.
- Diagnostics. Your policy gives you and your vet the flexibility to diagnose problems through blood work, X-rays, MRIs and CAT scans.
- Accidents. Whether your pet needs care for deep cuts to car accident injuries, your policy protects a variety of accident situations.
- Illnesses. Your accident and illness plan helps your pet get treatment for illnesses such as, skin or ear infections, allergies or arthritis.
- Chemotherapy. Your accident and illness plan covers diagnosing and treating cancer, including chemotherapy treatments.
- Hospitalization and emergency care. Take your pet to any licensed vet knowing that your policy covers the bill, even for specialists and emergency clinics.
- Surgery. You’ll get coverage for procedures like removing an object your mischievous pet ate or removing tumors.
- Behavioral conditions. Unlike some policies, PetsBest covers the consultation and medicine prescribed by a licensed vet for behavioral problems.
- Dental diseases. You can treat dental illnesses as long as a condition isn’t pre-existing. Pets three years old and older should verify that they’ve had a dental cleaning in the last 13 months.
- Prosthetics and wheelchairs. Keep your beloved companion active after an accident or sickness leaves them with less mobility. Your policy covers these items if a vet deems them medically necessary.
- Euthanasia. Your insurance plan eases the financial part of this difficult choice if the euthansia is for humane reasons.
What extra benefits and add-ons does PetsBest offer?
This company gives several value-added services and add-ons, like:
- Coverage outside the US. You can get vet care for your traveling companion anywhere in the US, Canada or Puerto Rico.
- Accident-only plans. Protect your pet from emergency situations with this low-cost policy option. This plan covers accidents like breaking a leg or your pet eating something they shouldn’t.
- Wellness plans. This insurer offers two tiers of wellness plans, covering the wellness exam, vaccinations, preventive medication, heartworm and parasite tests, deworming, urinalysis and microchipping. The bottom tier doesn’t cover spaying or neutering or teeth cleaning, and the top tier offers higher benefit limits on all covered services.
Along with these coverage options, PetsBest lets you take away services normally covered if you need to lower your premium:
- Acupuncture and chiropractic care. You either can keep this alternative care on your policy or choose to remove it.
- Rehabilitation therapy. This coverage pays for therapy that helps your pet recover, such as physical therapy, hydrotherapy or laser therapy.
- Prescription medication. For peace of mind, PetsBest provides a list of prescriptions it covers, so that you can check your coverage before buying. Find the list on the company’s coverage section on its website. You can also drop this coverage to lower your premium.
What’s not covered?
This pet insurer keeps a standard list of policy exclusions, including:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Elective and preventive care
- Routine care, unless you add it to your policy
- Treating parasites
- Pet supplies, like food or supplements
- Herbal medicine
- Experimental treatment
- Nonveterinary expenses
Alternatives to PetsBest pet insurance
Look at how PetsBest’s wide, flexible coverage compares against other pet insurance companies: