Pet Assure pet discount plan review Jul 2020
This discount program provides a solid alternative to standard pet insurance, though it’s currently only offered through certain employers.
- Get a quote if your pet doesn’t have many health issues or you have a unique pet.
- Pick something else if you want a true insurance policy or can’t pay a large share of the bill out of pocket.
- Best for pet owners who’d like to cover many pets under one plan.
Dogs, Cats, Horses
What pet insurance coverage does Pet Assure offer?
Pet Assure is not an insurance program — it’s actually a services discount plan. This means that you’ll pay a monthly membership fee that gives you a discount on all of the covered services.
The only coverage requirement is that the service is performed at your vet’s clinic. An example of services that are discounted include:
- Sick visits
- Wellness checkups
- In-house X-rays
- Parasite screenings
- Dental cleanings
- Diabetes management
- Cancer care
- Tumor removal
- Allergy treatments
What extra benefits and add-ons does Pet Assure offer?
As a discount program, Pet Assure offers a few benefits you don’t usually find with traditional pet insurance policies. Membership discount programs include:
- All types of pets and animals accepted
- No exclusions
- No age limitations
- Pre-existing conditions are accepted
- No forms to fill out
- No deductibles
- Unlimited use
- No waiting period
How much is Pet Assure pet insurance?
Pet Assure’s pricing varies based on your ZIP code and the type of plan you choose. If you have one pet, you can sign up for a one-pet plan. Other plans include two pets or unlimited pets.
You can expect to pay anywhere from $8 to $20 or more a month, depending on your location and plan.
The standard discount rate that Pet Assure offers in return is 25% off the cost of your vet’s procedures and bills.
How do I get reimbursed for a vet bill with Pet Assure?
Since Pet Assure is not insurance, you won’t get reimbursed on a vet bill. Instead, you’ll receive a discount up front on your bill, which you can pay immediately. You simply present your discount card at participating vets and you’ll immediately receive the 25% discount.
Pros and cons of Pet Assure pet insurance
- Pre-existing conditions accepted. Pet Assure doesn’t have any restrictions on the health of your pet, so there’s no need to worry about being rejected.
- No forms or paperwork. You don’t have to turn in a claim or sign off on any forms, just show your discount card and receive your discount.
- All types of pets and unlimited numbers. There are no restrictions on the type of animal you own as a pet, or the number of pets you have if you pick the unlimited plan.
- Limited to vets that accept it. You won’t be able to use Pet Assure anywhere, it’s only accepted through vets that are in its network.
- Currently only offered through employers. At the time of this writing, Pet Assure is only offered through employers that offer it as an employee benefit.
- Doesn’t cover lab work or outside procedures. Pet Assure only covers procedures done by your vet, which means if they send lab work to an outside lab or vet, that expense wouldn’t be covered.
What’s not covered by Pet Assure pet insurance?
There isn’t any medical procedure that isn’t covered by Pet Assure, although there are some limitations on what it will pay for:
- Visits with specialists not employed by your regular vet
- Prescription medicine or food
- Outside lab work
Pet Assure reviews and complaints
Pet Assure generally has favorable reviews on Trustpilot and the Better Business Bureau (BBB), with a three-star average on Trustpilot and 71% of its 49 reviews rate the company as excellent. The BBB has fewer reviews on its website, but Pet Assure is rated an A+ by the BBB and has been an accredited business since 2016.
Most negative reviews seem to relate to a misunderstanding of how Pet Assure operates and the fact that it doesn’t offer reimbursements. Many of the positive reviews note the company’s helpful customer service.
Alternatives to Pet Assure
Frequently asked questions
Andrew Flueckiger is a licensed insurance agent and Certified Insurance Counselor with experience in insurance and finance. A graduate of Indiana University, Andrew contributes a wealth of knowledge and experience to Finder. When Andrew isn’t writing, reading or practicing insurance, he can be found spending time with his family and playing the guitar.
Pet Assure is a solid alternative to traditional pet insurance plans. You receive a discount on any medical procedure, and any type of pet is covered. However, you have to use an in-network vet and it’s only currently offered through select employers.
Pet Assure might make the most sense for people with many pets, pets that aren’t normally covered by pet insurance or pets who are generally healthy and don’t require many procedures. Although Pet Assure covers any medical procedure, you’ll still have to pay for 75% of it. Standard pet insurance might cost more each month, but it will typically pay more of the bill.
If your local vet isn’t in the Pet Assure network and you’d like to look at options, you can compare other pet insurance companies before making a decision.