Understand city ordinances and state regulations so you can find the right lender.
Payday and other short-term loans all fall under the same general city ordinances in Dallas. While these don’t fully restrict lenders — and you may still have to pay high fees to borrow — they do make taking out a loan in Dallas a little safer.
Our top pick: CashUSA
Need a quick cash loan as high as $10,000? This loan connection service could help.
- Min. Loan Amount: $500
- Max. Loan Amount: $10,000
- Loan Term: 90 days to 72 months
- Turnaround Time: As early as 1 business day
- Requirements: Must have a monthly income of $1,000+ after taxes and valid checking account.
Can I get a payday loan in Dallas, Texas?
Yes, payday loans are available in Dallas. But beyond Texas state regulations, Dallas has all passed a number of ordinances that further restrict credit access businesses, commonly referred to as CABs. Filed under Miscellaneous Requirements for Credit Access Businesses, it requires the CAB to have a license with the city of Dallas.
In addition, Dallas` has a number of protections for borrowers that Texas regulations lack. This limits loan amounts to 20% or less of a your gross monthly income. Lenders and CABs must also establish that you have this income, either by using a paycheck or similar documentation. You can renew or refinance your loan up to three times, provided it’s repaid as one lump sum.
Payday loans may also be repayable in up to four installments. For every installment, at least 25% of the paid amount must go to the principal of the loan. And unlike single-installment loans, these can’t be renewed.
Every city is different
In order to combat the high costs of payday loans, Texas cities have taken it upon themselves to limit the amount lenders can charge and what lenders must do to protect borrowers. These ordinances differ by city, so check your local laws before borrowing.
Because of this, many large payday lending chains will go through local lenders when you apply online. Check your contract and the lender’s website if you’re unsure where your loan is coming from.
Consider these lenders for a payday loan in Dallas
What do I need to apply?
Before you apply, there are some basic eligibility requirements you will have to meet: you must have a regular source of income, be a citizen or permanent resident of the US and be at least 18 years old.
Although all applications differ, you’ll likely have to provide personal information to your lender. This includes your name, email, Social Security number and your gross monthly income. If you’re applying online, you’ll likely be required to give the lender access to your checking account so it can deposit your loan and debit the payment when it’s due.
Where to find short-term loan locations in Dallas
Short-term loan locations near me in Dallas, TX
- Advance America. 5521 Greenville Ave, Ste. 106-B, Dallas, TX 75206
- Atlas Credit Co., Inc. 222 W Jefferson Blvd B, Dallas, TX 75208
- Cash Store. 13249 Montfort Dr, Dallas, TX 75240
- CashMax Title & Loan. 5200 Lemmon Ave #106, Dallas, TX 75209
- Check ‘n Go. 2427 W Kiest Blvd, Dallas, TX 75224
- Check-N-Title Loans. 3211 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX 75225
- Dallas Payday Loan Services. 2618 Main St, Dallas, TX 75226
- Power Finance Texas. 8500 N Stemmons Fwy #4040, Dallas, TX 75247
- Speedy Cash. 10201 Lake June Rd, Dallas, TX 75217
- Texas Car Title & Payday Loan Services, Inc. 4018 W Camp Wisdom Rd, Dallas, TX 75237
Must read: Be cautious of limited regulations
Although there are some regulations in Texas and more in Dallas, overall, the short-term lending industry doesn’t face many restrictions. Lenders are limited to how much they can charge you, but credit access businesses aren’t — and that’s where fees start to add up.
When you’re comparing lenders, check the cost of the loan carefully and make sure you’re getting a legit deal that follows all the regulations in both Texas and Dallas. At the same time, you may want to compare your payday loan alternatives to see if there’s a less expensive way to straighten out your budget.
What are my other short-term loan options in Dallas?
You aren’t limited to just payday loans. Auto title loans and installment loans are two common choices for people who may need a slightly larger loan or more time to repay.
- Auto title loans. Auto title loans allow you to use your car title as collateral. In Dallas, there are some added restrictions: You can’t borrow more than 3% of your yearly income before taxes or 70% of your car’s value, whichever is less.
- Installment loans. Like the name implies, installment loans are repaid in installments. Dallas groups these under payday loan regulations, which means you won’t be able to borrow more than 20% of your gross monthly income. You’re also limited to loans of just four installments — with no option to renew.
Payday loans in Dallas are regulated by both Texas short-term loan regulations and Dallas city ordinances. While this means lenders do have to abide by added restrictions, there’s still no restriction on the fees a CAB can charge — so you might end up paying a large amount in interest.
To find the best deal and learn more about the lending process read our guide to payday loans before you settle on a lender.