Get zero interest and zero payments for 3 months on all purchases with no minimum spend required.
What is Q Mastercard?
Q Mastercard combines the benefits of a credit card and store finance into 1 globally accepted card.
It is an updated version of the Q Card, which is no longer available for new applications.
Q Mastercard allows cardholders to use their card for any purchase both at home and overseas, with attractive deals for big-ticket purchases online and in-store.
Lending criteria, fees and T&Cs apply. The standard interest rate of 27.99% applies after the interest-free period.
|Product Name||Q Mastercard|
|Standard Interest Rate (p.a.)||26.69%|
|Annual Fee||$50 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||3 months on purchases|
|Minimum Monthly Payment||3% of transaction value or $10, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$15|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
Benefits and features of Q Mastercard
- No interest and no payments. For every purchase, you enjoy zero interest and zero payments for 3 months with no minimum spend to qualify.
- Exclusive cardholder days. Q Mastercard cardholders can take advantage of exclusive deals and extended finance promotions at participating retailers.
- Long-term finance. Make big-ticket purchases and split the payments over time with long term finance deals.
- Globally accepted. You can use your Q Mastercard anywhere in the world where Mastercard is accepted.
With no interest or payments for 3 months and long term finance deals available at participating retailers, you can get the products and services you need today.
Q Mastercard long term finance deals
You can take advantage of special long term finance deals for Q Mastercard holders at participating retailers and healthcare services around New Zealand.
Deals differ from store to store but generally involve no payments and/or no interest for a period.
Some of Q Mastercard long term finance deals include offers on travel, tech, jewellery, homewares and appliances.
A minimum spend or deposit may apply, and not all deals are available online. Purchases made through travel agents are subject to a fee of up to 2.5%.
All long term finance purchases involve a $55 establishment fee on the first transaction. An advance fee of $35 will apply to all long term finance purchases after that.
How do I manage my Q Mastercard?
You can download the Q Mastercard app from Google Play or the App Store to manage your account. The app allows you to view your balance, available credit, payments due, statements and your card details.
When you receive a new card, you need to activate it via the app and set up a PIN.
You can set up a direct debit by phone or by downloading a form from the Q Mastercard website for payments. You can also pay your account by automatic payment or bill payment through your Internet banking.
Fees and charges
- Annual account fee. An account fee of $50 is charged each year – $25 upon opening the account and $25 every 6 months from then.
- Interest rate. The standard interest rate for Q Mastercard is 26.69% for purchases and 27.99% for cash advances. Long term finance deals may be subject to interest-free finance periods, but the standard interest rate applies once this ends.
- Establishment fee. The first time you use your card for long term finance, you are charged an establishment fee of $55.
- Advance fee. For further long term finance purchases, an advance fee of $35 is charged.
- Cash advance fee. Cash advances are subject to a $2 fee when withdrawing from a domestic ATM or $3 from an international ATM.
- Minimum monthly payment. A minimum monthly payment of 3% of the monthly closing balance or $10 (whichever is greater) is required. An additional minimum payment amount may apply for long term finance purchases.
How to apply for Q Mastercard
If you are interested in applying for Q Mastercard, check that you meet the eligibility criteria and have the appropriate documentation listed below. The application takes around 5 minutes, and you can start by hitting the “APPLY NOW” button in the top right corner of Q Mastercard’s website.
To be eligible for the Q Mastercard you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Hold a current New Zealand Driver Licence or have a valid New Zealand or Australian Passport
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Reside in New Zealand
- Have a valid email address and phone number
- Agree to a credit check
Bear in mind that all applications are subject to the issuer’s lending and credit criteria.
When you apply for a Q Mastercard, you will need the following documents:
- Photo ID. A New Zealand passport or driver’s licence, or an Australian passport.
- Proof of address. A bank statement, utility bill, IRD letter or insurance policy. Your document should be dated within the last 3 months and have the correct printed address.
The bottom line
Thousands of Kiwis have a Q Mastercard to use for long term finance and interest-free purchases. However, it does come with a significant standard interest rate of 26.69% p.a., which is much higher than you may be charged with a low rate credit card. Before you apply, make sure that you compare your other options.