Get zero interest and no repayments for 3 months on all purchases, plus long-term finance deals with the Q Mastercard.
What is the Q Mastercard?
The Q Mastercard combines the benefits of a credit card and store finance into one globally accepted card.
It is an updated version of the Q Card, which is no longer available for new applications.
The Q Mastercard allows cardholders to use their card for any purchase both at home and overseas, with attractive deals for big-ticket purchases.
|Product Name||Q Mastercard|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||25.99% p.a.|
|Annual Fee||$50 p.a.|
|Offer end date||28 February 2021|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 90 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate (p.a.)||27.25% APR|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||3% of transaction value or $10, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$15|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
Benefits and features of the Q Mastercard
- No interest and no repayments. For every purchase, you’ll enjoy zero interest and zero payments for three months with no minimum spend to qualify.
- Exclusive cardholder days. Q Mastercard cardholders can take advantage of exclusive deals and extended finance promotions at participating retailers.
- Long-term finance. Make big-ticket purchases and split the payments over time with long term finance deals.
- Globally accepted. You can use your Q Mastercard anywhere in the world where Mastercard is accepted.
With no interest or repayments for three months and long term finance deals available at participating retailers, you can get the products and services you need today.
Q Mastercard long term finance deals
At participating retailers and healthcare services around New Zealand, you can take advantage of special long-term finance deals for Q Mastercard holders.
Deals differ from store to store, but generally involve no repayments and/or no interest for a period of time.
Some of the Q Mastercard long term finance deals on offer include:
- Flight Centre: 12 months interest-free when you spend $200 or more
- JB Hi-Fi: No interest and no payments for 18 months on purchases $299 and over
- Specsavers: No interest for 12 months when you spend $200 or more
- Lumino the Dentists: 30 months interest-free. Ends 31 Jan 2021.
- Mitre 10: No interest and no payments for 12 months on purchases $500 and over
- Bedpost: 500 days interest-free when you spend $200 or more until 28 Feb 2021.
- Pet Doctors: No interest and no payments for 12 months on purchases $200 and over
- Baby City: No interest and no payments for 12 months on purchases $500 and over
- Dilworth Hearing: 18 months interest-free when you spend $499 and over
Offers correct as of 14 January 2021.
A minimum spend or deposit may apply and not all deals are available online. Purchases made through travel agents are subject to a 2.5% fee.
How do I manage my Q Mastercard?
To manage your account, you can download the Q Mastercard app from Google Play or the App Store. The app allows you to view your balance, available credit, payments due, statements and your card details.
When you receive a new card, you’ll need to activate it via the app and set up a PIN number.
For payments, you can set up a direct debit by phone or by downloading a form from the Q Mastercard website. You can also pay your account by automatic payment or bill payment through your Internet banking.
Fees and charges
- Annual account fee. An account fee of $50 is charged each year – $25 upon opening the account and $25 every six months from then.
- Interest rate. The standard interest rate for the Q Mastercard is 25.99% for purchases and 27.25% for cash advances. Long term finance deals may be subject to interest-free finance periods, but the standard interest rate will apply once this ends.
- Establishment fee. The first time you use your card for long term finance, you will be charged an establishment fee of $55.
- Advance fee. For further long term finance purchases, an advance fee of $35 is charged.
- Cash advance fee. Cash advances are subject to a $2 fee when withdrawing from a domestic ATM or $3 from an international ATM.
- Minimum monthly payment. A minimum monthly payment of 3% of the monthly closing balance or $10 (whichever is greater) is required.
What to consider before applying
Thousands of Kiwis have a Q Mastercard to use for long term finance and interest-free purchases. Before you apply, make sure that you take the following points into consideration:
- Every purchase outside of a long term finance deal is subject to three months interest-free and no repayments. Once this period ends, you will be charged interest at a rate of 25.99% p.a. This rate is much higher than what you will be charged with a low rate credit card, so you may end up spending a lot more on interest if you don’t pay off your purchases quickly.
- You can withdraw cash from your Q Mastercard, but you will be charged interest straight away. The interest rate for cash advances is 27.25% p.a.
- The minimum monthly repayment is 3% or $10, whichever is greater. If you only pay the minimum 3% each month, it will take you a lot longer to pay off the balance. Plus, you will pay more in interest.
- When you make a payment, the funds are allocated to different transactions on your account according to Q Mastercard’s terms and conditions. The order that funds are applied is as follows:
- Cancelled fixed instalments
- Instalments in the order of transaction date
- Cash advances
- Interest bearing transactions
- Interest bearing flexi payment purchases and balance transfers
- Standard purchases, flexi payment purchases and balance transfers that are still in the interest-free period
- Any transactions not showing on your statement
- You will still be charged the annual account fee even if you don’t have money owing on your card. This is $50 a year split up into 6-monthly charges.
- Just because you can use your Q Mastercard to get interest-free finance or deferred repayments at selected retailers, don’t think that you have to take advantage of them. You may find a better deal from another retailer that will end up costing you less.
- You can’t use another credit card to make the repayments on your Q Mastercard.
- If you find yourself experiencing financial hardship, you can contact Q Mastercard to discuss your options.
How to apply for the Q Mastercard
If you are interested in applying for the Q Mastercard, check that you meet the eligibility criteria and have the appropriate documentation listed below. The application takes around five minutes and you can start by hitting the ‘APPLY NOW’ button in the top right corner of the Q Mastercard website.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Reside in New Zealand
- Have a valid email address and phone number
- Agree to a credit check
Bear in mind that all applications are subject to the issuers lending and credit criteria.
When you apply for the Q Mastercard, you will need the following documents:
- Photo ID. A New Zealand passport or driver’s licence, an Australian passport, or a passport of other nationality with a valid residency visa.
- Proof of address. A bank statement, utility bill, IRD letter or insurance policy. Your document should be dated within the last three months and have the correct printed address.