Get zero interest and zero payments for 3 months on all purchases, plus 0% on balance transfers for 15 months until 31 August 2021 (new customers only).
What is Q Mastercard?
Q Mastercard combines the benefits of a credit card and store finance into one globally accepted card.
It is an updated version of the Q Card, which is no longer available for new applications.
Q Mastercard allows cardholders to use their card for any purchase both at home and overseas, with attractive deals for big-ticket purchases online and in store.
Lending criteria, fees, and Ts&Cs apply. The standard interest rate of 25.99% applies after the interest free period.
|Product Name||Q Mastercard|
|Standard Interest Rate (p.a.)||25.99%|
|Annual Fee||$50 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||3 months on purchases|
|Minimum Monthly Payment||3% of transaction value or $10, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$15|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
Benefits and features of Q Mastercard
- No interest and no payments. For every purchase, you enjoy zero interest and zero payments for three months with no minimum spend to qualify.
- Exclusive cardholder days. Q Mastercard cardholders can take advantage of exclusive deals and extended finance promotions at participating retailers.
- Long-term finance. Make big-ticket purchases and split the payments over time with long term finance deals.
- Globally accepted. You can use your Q Mastercard anywhere in the world where Mastercard is accepted.
With no interest or payments for three months and long term finance deals available at participating retailers, you can get the products and services you need today.
Q Mastercard long term finance deals
At participating retailers and healthcare services around New Zealand, you can take advantage of special long-term finance deals for Q Mastercard holders.
Deals differ from store to store but generally involve no payments and/or no interest for a period.
Some of Q Mastercard long term finance deals on offer include:
- Flight Centre: 12 months interest-free when you spend $499 or more (Flight Centre fee of 2% applies)
- JB Hi-Fi: No interest and no payments for 18 months on purchases $299 and over
- Farmers: 18 months interest-free on purchases $299 and over
- Specsavers: No interest for 12 months when you spend $200 or more
- Big Save Furniture: 18 months interest-free when you spend $499 and over (in-store only)
- Pet Doctors: No interest and no payments for 12 months on purchases $200 and over
- Bay Audiology: No interest and no payments for 12 months on purchases $200 and over
- Stewart Dawsons: 12 months interest-free when you spend $400 and over
Offers correct as of 23 July 2021.
A minimum spend or deposit may apply, and not all deals are available online. Purchases made through travel agents are subject to a fee of up to 2.5%.
All long term finance purchases involve a $55 establishment fee on the first transaction. An advance fee of $35 will apply to all long term finance purchases after that.
How do I manage my Q Mastercard?
You can download Q Mastercard app from Google Play or the App Store to manage your account. The app allows you to view your balance, available credit, payments due, statements and your card details.
When you receive a new card, you need to activate it via the app and set up a PIN.
You can set up a direct debit by phone or by downloading a form from Q Mastercard website for payments. You can also pay your account by automatic payment or bill payment through your Internet banking.
Fees and charges
- Annual account fee. An account fee of $50 is charged each year – $25 upon opening the account and $25 every six months from then.
- Interest rate. The standard interest rate for Q Mastercard is 25.99% for purchases and 27.25% for cash advances. Long term finance deals may be subject to interest-free finance periods, but the standard interest rate applies once this ends.
- Establishment fee. The first time you use your card for long term finance, you are charged an establishment fee of $55.
- Advance fee. For further long term finance purchases, an advance fee of $35 is charged.
- Cash advance fee. Cash advances are subject to a $2 fee when withdrawing from a domestic ATM or $3 from an international ATM.
- Minimum monthly payment. A minimum monthly payment of 3% of the monthly closing balance or $10 (whichever is greater) is required. An additional minimum payment amount may apply for long-term finance purchases.
How to apply for Q Mastercard
If you are interested in applying for Q Mastercard, check that you meet the eligibility criteria and have the appropriate documentation listed below. The application takes around five minutes, and you can start by hitting the ‘APPLY NOW’ button in the top right corner of Q Mastercard’s website.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Hold a current NZ Driver Licence or have a valid NZ or Australian Passport
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Reside in New Zealand
- Have a valid email address and phone number
- Agree to a credit check
Bear in mind that all applications are subject to the issuers lending and credit criteria.
When you apply for Q Mastercard, you will need the following documents:
- Photo ID. A New Zealand passport or driver’s licence, an Australian passport, or a passport of other nationality with a valid residency visa.
- Proof of address. A bank statement, utility bill, IRD letter or insurance policy. Your document should be dated within the last three months and have the correct printed address.
The bottom line
Thousands of Kiwis have a Q Mastercard to use for long term finance and interest-free purchases. However, it does come with a significant standard interest rate of 25.99% p.a., which is much higher than you may be charged with a low rate credit card. Before you apply, make sure that you compare your other options.