Nextdoor for Local Business review
Glean valuable information about your reputation and connect with people who live nearby.
Nextdoor for Local Business allows you to promote your business and receive direct feedback from your community. But it isn’t meant for widespread marketing because you can only communicate with people who live in your physical neighborhood.
What's in this review?
- What is Nextdoor for Local Business?
- What features does Nextdoor for Local Business offer?
- Can I remove negative reviews on Nextdoor Business?
- How much does it cost?
- Are Nextdoor Local Deals worth it?
- How to post a Local Deal
- Pros and cons
- Nextdoor reviews and complaints
- How do I get a free business page with Nextdoor?
- How do I contact Nextdoor if I’m a business owner?
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
What is Nextdoor for Local Business?
Nextdoor for Local Business is a platform where you can list your business and offer deals to members of your surrounding community, thanks to geolocation technology. It’s free and only requires basic computer skills to create an account.
Customers can recommend your products or services to their neighbors and leave reviews. You’ll also appear in searches for businesses like yours, and can get insight about what people are talking about by tapping into local conversations.
What features does Nextdoor for Local Business offer?
Nextdoor for Local Business is similar to most social media platforms in that users can search, post, rate, comment and leave reviews about your company. Here’s what it has to offer local businesses:
This is a profile for your business — the landing page where users can see your contact info, address, business hours and what you have to offer. It’s also where they can read reviews. A business page is free and you can verify your page using your phone number.
Purchase ads on the Local Deals feed where you can advertise a discount or sale. Target the specific neighborhoods you want to reach, as nearby as 0.1 miles, and as far away as 10 miles. The duration for your Local Deal can be anywhere from seven to 30 days.
It takes about four minutes to buy and post a deal, according to Nextdoor. After it’s published, users see it in their newsfeeds, under the search results, on the local deals and business pages.
Recommendations are a way for businesses to build trust within the community. If a Nextdoor user wants to recommend you, they’ll tap the heart icon on your page.
The number of Recommendations you’ve received is displayed clearly wherever the name of your business is listed. You can’t buy recommendations — they can only be given by users.
Once a year, Nextdoor runs a contest where people can vote on their favorite business in categories including health, personal care, retail, food and drink. The voting period usually lasts around three weeks. Every vote is also added to your page as a Recommendation.
You’ll get major bragging rights for winning, because only 1% of Nextdoor businesses earn the badge — a trophy icon next to your listing. You’ll also show up higher in search results and receive a window sticker and a letter of recognition from Nextdoor’s CEO.
Can I remove negative reviews on Nextdoor Business?
No, you can’t remove negative reviews from your Nextdoor Business listing. However, you can report comments that violate community guidelines, including reviews that “discriminate against, attack, insult, shame, bully or belittle others,” according to its website. After you report a comment, Nextdoor will determine if it should be removed.
If you feel a negative review portrays incorrect or unfair information, you can reply to it with a correction. You could also reach out to the unhappy reviewer directly to resolve the issue.
How much does it cost?
It’s free to create a Nextdoor business account, which automatically includes you in community listings and search results.
However, it does cost money to post a Local Deal. The one-time fee depends on where you make the deal visible, how many Nextdoor members are likely to see it and the duration of the deal. Pricing for Local Deals starts at $3 but can range into the hundreds. When creating your Local Deal, you’ll be able to see exactly how much each neighborhood costs to add.
Are Nextdoor Local Deals worth it?
Nextdoor Local Deals could be worth it if your primary goal is to raise awareness about your business and generate leads, because you get direct access to people interested in supporting and interacting with their community. Also, potential customers can see your rating displayed right in the ad.
However, they may not be worth it over the long term if your profit margin suffers from offering repeated discounts.
How to post a Local Deal
You can create and post a Local Deal through your Nextdoor business account.
- Click Local Deals
- Click Create a Local Deal
- Provide info about your Local Deal, including:
- Type of deal
- Whether it’s redeemable in-person, online or both
- Primary call to action
- Terms and conditions (optional)
- Upload a promotional photo
- Recommended size is 1156px width and 600px height
- Preview the deal
- Select the audience
- Review your order summary and enter your payment information
- Click Submit Order
Nextdoor will send an invoice to the email associated with your account. You can edit, share, rerun or end your Local Deal at any time by clicking on the arrow in the top right corner of your deal. Nextdoor only issues refunds for deals that are deleted within 24 hours.
Pros and cons
Nextdoor can be a good way to connect with potential customers who live nearby. It can also provide valuable insight into your reputation. Set up notifications for when people interact with your page, but otherwise it doesn’t require much upkeep.
Still, be sure to weigh the pros and cons before signing up:
- Free to use. Set up an account without paying a cent.
- Clear neighborhood insights. It shows you exactly how many people can see your page and the number of neighborhoods you’re qualified to reach.
- Users can contact you directly through the app. After someone finds your business, they can call you or go to your website with one click.
- Outreach is limited to people using the app. If you’re based in an area where Nextdoor isn’t widely used, it may not be as effective.
- Difficult to gain traction without recommendations. You’ll appear at the bottom of search results if you don’t have any recommendations, and it can be hard to compete with businesses that’ve been on Nextdoor for a while.
Nextdoor reviews and complaints
It’s difficult to get a sense of merchant opinions regarding Nextdoor, because most of the reviews online are from users, not business owners. As of October 2020, Nextdoor has a 2.8 Average rating compiled from 1,445 reviews on Trustpilot. Many of the comments are negative, with people complaining that the neighborhood banter can get catty and offensive.
How do I get a free business page with Nextdoor?
To get started with Nextdoor Business, go to business.nextdoor.com/local and follow these steps:
- Click Claim your free Business Page.
- Indicate whether you’re a professional business or neighbor for hire.
- Click Sign up.
- Enter your name, email and password then click Create business page.
- Enter your business name and address, then click Search.
- If you’re searchable on Google Maps, it will pull up your business and you’ll enter a phone number to verify that you’re the owner.
- If your business isn’t listed on Google, click Create a new business page with this name.
- Add a link to your website, if you have one.
- Choose a category for your business.
- Click Create a new business page.
After you open a Nextdoor Business account, add a photo or logo and include a welcome message to give people a sense of what your business has to offer. You can also add your business hours.
How do I contact Nextdoor if I’m a business owner?
The only way to contact Nextdoor is by submitting a contact form online. It doesn’t offer email or phone support, but it promises to reply to your query within 24 hours.
If you want to report a comment or review, click on the dropdown arrow, choose Report comment, fill in the requested information and click Submit.
Nextdoor is a low-risk way to plug into your community and interact directly with your neighbors. Still, you may want to research other marketing strategies to reach customers who live further away.