An upgraded take on the classic envelope budgeting system.Mvelopes offers a convenient and modern way to budget. It features perks like automatic imports, a free 30-day trial and help from a personal finance trainer. But you’ll pay anywhere from $6 to $79 a month depending on the plan.
From $6 per month
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
If you’re looking for a budgeting app that automatically imports transactions and lets you manage a wide range of financial accounts, Mvelopes may be a good fit.
You’ll pay at least $6 a month to use it, but even the Basic plan comes with unlimited envelopes and lets you connect to as many financial institutions as you’d like.Mvelopes‘s Complete plan comes with a fully customized financial roadmap and one-on-one guidance from a financial coach. But these extra perks cost $79 a month.
How much does it cost?Mvelopes offers three paid membership plans:
|Plus||$19||Everything in Basic, and:|
|Complete||$79||Everything in Plus, and:|
You’ll receive two free months if you buy a yearly subscription.
How to open a Mvelopes account?
Sign up for Mvelopes through its website or official mobile app.
To sign up for Mvelopes through its website:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the official Mvelopes website, click Join Free For a Month.
- Choose between the Basic, Plus or Complete plan and click Free 30 Day Trial.
- Enter your name, email, username and password and click Create My Mvelopes Account.
- Enter your credit card information and click Submit.
- Verify your account information and start creating your budget.
How does Mvelopes work?Mvelopes is a comprehensive budgeting tool that lets you manage and track expenses using the envelope budgeting method.
Start off by creating a budget and linking your account to financial institutions such as your bank, credit card company and student loans. Then fund the virtual envelopes using the money in your account. As you make a purchase and it clears your bank, the amount is automatically imported into Mvelopes where you can move it into the correct envelope.Mvelopes connects to more than 16,000 financial institutions, including most banks, credit card, debt repayment and investment companies.
Compare top budgeting software
But if you’re looking for a cheaper service, check out our guide to budgeting for beginners.
What are the pros and cons of Mvelopes?Mvelopes packs a punch with cool features such as:
- Free 30-day trial. Start budgeting with Mvelopes for free for the first 30 days.
- Unlimited financial institutions. Sync as many banks, credit cards, debt and investment accounts to Mvelopes.
- Automatic imports. Mvelopes automatically imports your financial transactions.
- Financial coach. The Plus and Complete plans give you direct phone access to a personal finance coach who you’ll chat with monthly or quarterly depending on your plan.
- Expensive plans. Mvelopes’ most expensive plan is $79 a month, which will run you nearly $1,000 a year.
- Not completely hands-off. Mvelopes automatically imports transactions, but you’ll have to manually move them to the correct envelope.
Is Mvelopes safe to use?Mvelopes uses the same security measures as major banks. All sensitive information is stored using SSL/TLS encryption. Mvelopes protects its servers using multiple firewalls and restricted public connections.
Your Mvelopes account automatically logs out after a period of inactivity. If you perform multiple incorrect login attempts, the system will lock your account.