Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Pet insurance for multiple pets
Get an easy 10% discount when you insure all your pets on one policy.
Adding multiple pets to one policy could help you save money and paperwork when getting pet insurance. However, not every insurer offers a multi-pet discount, and you might only see one discount no matter how many pets you add to the policy.
What's in this guide?
How much can I save by insuring multiple pets?
You might find insurers who dock your premium by 5% or 10% if you own multiple pets .
However, some insurers don’t offer a multi-pet discount at all. In this case, you’ll pay the same for each pet whether or not they share same policy. If you own more than one pet, it’s worth considering an insurer who offers this extra benefit, unless a company offers the lowest premium without it.
How many pets can I insure on one policy?
Normally, you won’t see a maximum limit on the number of pets you can insure. However, you might find limits on the number of pets who receive a multi-pet discount. These limits vary based on the insurer and may not be obvious unless you get a quote or call customer service.
How does a multi-pet discount work?
Most insurers apply a multi-pet discount automatically during the quoting process or when updating your current pet policy. For many insurers, you can expect a one-time discount for having several pets, no matter how many pets you insure.
Others may offer a small discount for each pet you add to the policy. Also, understand that your premium will increase when adding another pet to your policy, but the discount should offset that increased cost in a small way.
Which pets qualify for a multi-pet discount?
Because most insurers cover dogs and cats, you might only have the option to bundle insurance if you own these two types of animals. A few insurers also cover pets like guinea pigs, rabbits or snakes under exotic pet insurance, while others specialize in horse insurance.
Which companies offer multi-pet discounts?
How do I add another pet to my pet insurance?
To get your discount online, simply add details about each pet on your application. You should see the discount applied before you purchase your new policy. If you already have pet insurance, you might have to add the information through your online account or call your insurer to update for you.
Why are premiums different for each of my pets?
If you apply for pet insurance with several pets, you’ll most likely see a different premium for each pet. That’s because the cost of your multi-pet policy depends on a number of factors:
- Type of pet. The type of pet affects which accidents or illnesses they may receive. In addition, medical care for smaller pets like rabbits often costs less than for large animals like horses.
- Age of each pet. Your premium will increase for older pets, leading to different premiums if you own pets with widely different ages.
- Breed. Two dogs may warrant vastly different premiums if one is a purebred or a breed with higher risk of health problems than the other dog.
- Gender. Even the same type of pet can bring different rates based on the health risks related to each pet’s gender.
- Recent health claims. If you’ve recently filed a health claim on one pet, expect a higher premium than your other pets who are in perfect health.
- Pre-existing medical conditions. You’ll notice different exclusions, limitations and premiums if any of your pets have health problems when applying for insurance.
If you’re already getting insurance on several pets, see how much you can save with an insurer who offers multi-pet discounts. But because your pet’s needs can differ so much, the only way to find the lowest rates overall is to shop multiple pet insurance providers.
Frequently asked questions about multi-pet insurance
Ask an Expert