Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card review
A high signup bonus and annual free nights make this mid-tier card shine.
finder.com’s rating: 4.3 / 5
- Get this card if you frequently stay at Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
- Pick something else if you don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- Apply with good to excellent score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 17x
15.99% to 22.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||100,000 points after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||Up to 17x points at Marriott Bonvoy hotels and 2x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||15.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||15.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
Picking up the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card grants you Silver Elite status for free, boosting the points you earn for staying at Marriott properties by 10% of the base rate. So really, you might look at this card as earning you 17x points on Marriott purchases rather than 17x points. Other benefits include a free night award every year on your card anniversary, priority late checkout, free Wi-Fi and more. These features more than make up for the cost of the card.
If you often stay at hotels and resorts in the Marriott portfolio and you’re looking for a great entry point in the Marriott Bonvoy program, this card is an excellent first step.
- Reward points. Earn 17x points at more than 7,000 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels. Everything else you buy earns 2x points.
- Signup bonus. Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 in your first 3 months. With a 0.7 cents per point average value, that’s a $700 redemption value.
- Free Night Award. Every year after your card anniversary, enjoy a free night award valid for properties worth up to 35,000 points for one stay. You can claim your first reward night 12 months after you open your account.
How much rewards can I earn with the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card?
Suppose you spend $10,000 annually on participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels, and $10,000 on all other purchases with this card, you would earn 80,000 points. One point can be worth anywhere from 0.5 cents up to 1.1 cents depending on how you redeem it.
If you clear the signup bonus, that’s five nights worth up to 250,000 points. Combined with the 80,000 points, that’s 330,000 points in your first year. Once you pay the annual fee, your points could be worth $1,880 on average.
If your spending pattern is similar and you use your free night award, worth up to 35,000 points, after you pay for the annual fee you’d earn a redemption value of $690 on average from the second year.
How much do I have to spend to make the annual fee worth it?
The card comes with an annual fee of $95, which means you have to spend between $1,700 and $3,300 per year — depending on which properties you redeem your points for — to offset the annual fee.
You’ll also like …
- Silver Elite status. Earn Silver Elite status just by being a card member. This gives you benefits like 10% more points on your stays, priority late checkout, free Wi-Fi and more. If you spend $35,000 in a year, you’ll upgrade to Gold Elite status and get all Silver benefits plus room upgrade when available, welcome gift of points and more.
- No foreign transaction fee. Use the card freely when traveling abroad without paying any fees on foreign transactions.
- Visa concierge. Enjoy complimentary Visa Signature concierge service 24/7. Get help with tickets to sports and entertainment events, dinner reservations, picking out the perfect gift and more.
- High minimum credit line. Your credit line depends on multiple factors, but with this card you won’t get a credit line lower than $5,000.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. You’ll pay a $95 annual fee to own the card. But if you frequently stay at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels, you can offset the annual fee many times over.
- Signup bonus eligibility. If you’ve held this card or the Marriott Rewards® Premier credit card in the last two years, you may not be eligible to get the new signup bonus.
- No intro APR period. The card doesn’t have a 0% intro APR period. If you’re looking to move your balance and consolidate your debt or make a large purchase and carry your balance interest free, look for a 0% intro APR card.
Compare travel rewards credit cards
Compare Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card with other cards
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the card, you must be a US citizen and at least 18 years old, 19 in Alabama and Nebraska and 21 in Puerto Rico.
Also, you need to provide the following information:
- Your name, phone number and address.
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- Annual income and source of income.
What credit score do I need?
To increase your chances of approval, apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card reviews and complaints.
Card members love the rewards offered by this card, especially the signup bonus and the annual bonus night. Some claim it’s the main reason they applied for the card.
As of October 2020, Chase credit card division is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau, though Chase is not accredited by the bureau. Most complaints there revolve around poor customer service and high interest rates. Be sure to read over your credit card agreement and understand the terms to avoid surprises. If you’re stuck with a higher APR, paying off your balance each month will help you avoid getting hit with large interest charges.
How to apply for the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card
- Learn more about how to apply for Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card.
- Fill out the application form with all requested information, including your date of birth and Social Security number.
- Review your application and submit.
How long will it take to get my Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card?
In most cases you’ll get an instant decision on your application. If Chase requires additional information you’ll have to wait up to 30 days.
Your card and any welcome materials should arrive within seven to 10 business days once you’re approved.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download Chase Mobile app. Use the app to monitor your account, pay your bills, send money with Zelle, find the nearest ATM and more.
- Download Marriott Bonvoy app. With the app, you can make reservations, book rooms with points and more.
- Avoid interest. Your due date is at least 21 days after the close of each billing cycle. Since the card has no intro APR period, pay your balance on time to avoid paying fees and interest on your purchases.
- Customer service. For any questions, call 800-432-3117 for a customer service representative.
How do I redeem rewards from Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card?
With the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card earn Marriott Bonvoy points on your purchases to redeem for hotel stays at participating properties and gift cards. You can share your points or you can transfer them to airline miles in 3:1 ratio — meaning three Marriott points for one airline mile.
It’s easy to redeem for hotel stays. Log in to your Marriott account and on the Marriott website click Find reserve. Make sure you check Use points, and then search your destinations on your preferred date.
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card can be a solid choice to anyone who’s a frequent visitor at Marriott Bonvoy hotels. You earn points on your purchases and you get a free night award each year on your anniversary. This alone is enough to offset the annual fee.
However, if you find that this card is not for you, compare other travel credit cards to get the full scope of your options.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.