Laurel Road student loan refinancing review
Refinancing comes with competitive rates, flexible terms and protection against unforeseen financial hardship.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Best for graduates looking to get lower rates than from their local bank.
- Pick something else if you're going back to school.
1.89% to 5.90%
Max. Loan Amount
Min. Credit Score
|Product Name||Laurel Road Student Loan Refinancing|
|Minimum Loan Amount||$5,000|
|Max. Loan Amount||None|
|APR||1.89% to 5.90%|
|Interest Rate Type||Variable|
|Minimum Loan Term||5 years|
|Maximum Loan Term||20 years|
|Requirements||All loans must be for qualified higher education expenses and in grace or repayment status and cannot be in default. You must have annual income of $60,000 or higher.|
Aliyyah Camp is a writer and personal finance blogger who helps readers compare personal, student, car and business loans. Aliyyah earned a BA in communication from the University of Pennsylvania and is based in New York, where she enjoys movies and running outdoors.
Laurel Road (formerly DRB) is an ideal option for recent graduates looking to refinance their student loans with lower rates than you’d typically find at your local bank.
Laurel Road offers multiple perks to give you peace of mind against financial hardships that may get in your way of chipping away at your student debt, including payment postponement in the face of disability or financial hardship and minimal repayments while you complete postgraduate training.
However, think twice if you’re considering going back to school — that means you can’t ever put your payments on hold, if you can’t afford monthly payments. If you’re thinking about becoming a lawyer or a doctor, consider waiting until after you graduate before refinancing with Laurel Road.
Still on the fence? Check out our list of other lenders that might be a better fit for you.
Do you qualify?
To qualify for Laurel Road student loan refinancing, you must:
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Have an annual income of $60,000 or more
- Have student loans that were used for eligible higher education expenses
- Have student loans in grace or repayment status — not in default
What makes Laurel Road student refinancing loans unique?
Laurel Road provides competitive rates without restricting how much student debt you can refinance. You can refinance 100% of your student loans with Laurel Road, no matter how much they add up to. This could be especially beneficial for those with student loans from medical school, or other highly expensive postgraduate education, that could amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
What is Laurel Road student loan refinancing?
With Laurel Road, you can qualify for refinancing of up to 100% of your federal, private or Parent PLUS debt. The minimum you can borrow is $5,000 for repayment over 5, 7, 10, 15 or 20 years.
Student loan refinancing comes with fixed or variable interest rates. You can usually get the lowest interest rate by choosing the variable rate option, which starts at 1.89% and can fluctuate throughout the loan term depending on market conditions. The starting rates reflect an autopay discount of 0.25%.
Compare your other student loan refinancing options
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What are the benefits to Laurel Road student loan refinancing?
- Refinance up to 100% of student loan debt. There is no maximum loan amount. You can choose to refinance all your student loans or specific loans.
- Cosigner release. You can apply to take your cosigner off your loan after making 36 consecutive on-time repayments, as long as you meet other credit requirements on your own.
- Hardship leniency. If you become unemployed and have unforeseen financial problems, you may be able to postpone repayments in three-month increments.
- Competitive interest rates. Rates depend on your creditworthiness, income and debt. If you’re a medical or dental resident, you may be eligible for bigger savings if you’ve secured employment.
- Refinance PLUS loans. Parents can consolidate these large loans or transfer them to their children through Laurel Road.
What to watch out for
If you’re looking to refinance your student debt, Laurel Road is a solid option with only a few factors to note.
- No academic deferment. You won’t be able to put your repayments on hold if you decide to go back to school.
- Laurel Road account required for discount. While Laurel Road offers 0.25% off the rate for autopay, money must come from an approved checking account to qualify.
- High minimum loan. Loans start at $5,000, which means you’ll need to look elsewhere if you require a smaller loan.
Am I eligible for Laurel Road student loan refinancing?
To apply for student loan refinancing with Laurel Road, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident with a valid I-551 card. Your annual income should be $60,000 or higher.
Graduates may refinance or consolidate unsubsidized or subsidized federal or private student loan used exclusively for qualified higher education expenses at an accredited undergraduate or graduate school in the US. All loans must be in grace or repayment status and cannot be in default.
What do I need to apply?
Apply for student loan refinancing through Laurel Road’s short online prequalification application. You’ll need to upload:
- Government-issued photo ID.
- Two recent pay stubs.
- Loan statements, including payoff amounts.
- Proof of graduation.
Once Laurel Road makes its decision, you’ll receive a letter with your rate and disclosure information. The final step is accepting the loan’s terms and signing your promissory note.
I’ve refinanced my student loans through Laurel Road. Now what?
- Sign up for autopay. Save 0.25% on your interest rate by setting up automatic payments from your bank account.
- Avoid unnecessary fees. If your payment is received 15 days after the due date, you’ll pay either 5% of the late payment or $28, whichever is less. That’s another reason to consider setting up autopay.
Visit our guide to student loan refinancing to compare other lenders and read tips for getting the best deal.
Common questions about Laurel Road
Student loan ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We rate student loan providers on a scale of 1 to 5 stars based on factors like transparency, costs and customer experience. We don’t take into account elements like eligibility criteria, state availability or payment frequency — we save that for our reviews.