Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard review
- Maintenance Fees
- $36 annually
- Age requirements
- Any age
The Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard is best for teens and kids who are ready to start spending real money. It comes with a free mobile app that lets you set chores and allowances and help your teen learn to spend, save and give wisely.
But although the app is free to download, you’ll pay $36 per year per child for the card. This is about $13 cheaper than BusyKid, but BusyKid comes with up to five debit cards and additional features like investing options.
No ATM network
Customer service support
Annual debit card fee
|Signature transaction fee||$0|
|PIN transaction fee||$0|
How do I get the Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard?
Get the Kachinga app and kids’ debit card in six steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the provider website, click Get it on Google Play or Download on the App Store.
- Install the app, launch it and click Sign Up.
- Enter your full name, email, password, the name your kids’ call you and click Create Account.
- Create your child’s account using their name, date of birth, username and password. Click Next.
- Select which plan you want — the free virtual money plan or the real money plan that comes with the Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard.
- Follow the prompts to finish the application process.
Anyone can download the Kachinga app and use it for chores and allowances, but you’ll need to meet these requirements to get the prepaid card.
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or resident
- US residential address
- Valid Social Security number
Have this information ready when you set up your account and request your kid’s Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard.
- Full name
- Home address
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Login information for connected bank account
What you’ll like about the Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard
The Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard and mobile app comes with standard kids debit card features, like the ability to set up chores, pay allowances and monitor your child’s spending. There’s no credit check to sign up, plus you’ll enjoy these perks.
- Free trial. You get a 30-day free trial with Kachinga, so you can try it before the $36 annual fee kicks in.
- Spending charts. You and your teen get real-time reports in the mobile app that shows how much money they’ve spent each month and where they’ve spent it.
- Instant transfers. No more running out to ATMs in a pinch. You can instantly transfer money to your kid’s card whenever they need it.
What to watch out forKachinga helps your teen develop smart money habits, but there are a few drawbacks to watch out for.
- No ATM network. You’ll pay $2 plus operator fees each time you use an ATM to withdraw cash.
- Customer service support. Kachinga‘s site doesn’t offer customer support options. But because they’re a third-party site by Akimbo, you can reach them at 855-925-4626 for questions regarding your Kachinga account.
- Annual debit card fee. You’ll pay $36 per year per child for the Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard. This is cheaper than BusyKid if you have one kid. But BusyKid‘s pricing stays at $48 per year for up to five kids, or $49.74 if you use a debit or credit card for funding.
Is the Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard safe?
The Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard is as safe as any prepaid debit card. You get all the liability protection that comes with Mastercard, plus FDIC insurance through Sunrise Banks.
Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard reviews and complaintsKachinga just launched in March 2021, so there aren’t any reviews yet on trusted sites like the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot. But the company has a 4.0 out of 5-star rating in both the Apple Store and the Google Play stores as of April 2021.
Customers like the financial literacy component of the app and how it helps assign chores and allowances without having to fuss with paper charts and real cash. But a few of them have run into issues when funding their account and say they couldn’t contact customer support for help.
How can I contact Kachinga?
The Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard is a third-party site by Akimbo — a leading prepaid card platform, so you can contact them for questions at 855-925-4626.
We called Akimbo several times while writing this review and someone answered right away every time. You can also try emailing Kachinga at email@example.com.
Compare Kachinga with other kids debit cards
Use this table to see how Kachinga compares to other kids debit cards based on fees, ATM withdrawals and features.
Publisher to add table.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How do Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard’s fees compare to the competition?
This table highlights how Kachinga‘s fees and limits compare to the competition.
|Fee & Limit||Amount||How it compares to other kids’ cards|
|Annual fee||$36||It’s less expensive than BusyKid for one kid, but more expensive with multiple kids|
|ATM withdrawal||$2||This is a typical fee charged by most prepaid card companies.|
|Cash reload fee||N/A||Kachinga doesn’t accept cash reloads, unlike FamZoo and Greenlight.|
|Card replacement fee||First one free, then $5||This is typical for most prepaid cards for kids.|
|Maximum card balance||$9,999||This is a higher limit than most prepaid cards for kids.|
|Direct deposit limit||$9,999 per day||Most cards only let you transfer up to $2,000 or $5,000 per month. This limit is much higher.|
|Debit card transfer limit||$1,000 per day||Most companies only let you transfer up to $500 per day from debit cards.|
|ATM withdrawal limit||$705 per day||Most debit cards for kids and teens cap you at $120 per day.|
|Purchase limit||$2,500 per day||This limit is similar to other debit cards for kids.|
How long will it take to get my card?
You’ll get your Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard in the mail within 10 business days of requesting it.
I got the card. Now what?
Once your child or teen has their Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard, make the most of it by:
Fund the Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard using a linked bank account.
Kids’ debit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top debit cards for kids and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. We rate kids’ checking accounts by these factors: Monthly fee, features, ATM access, customer support options, and availability. We also consider APY as a factor only for those that earn interest. We rate prepaid debit cards for kids by these factors: monthly fees, features, customer support options and account availability.
Kachinga is not currently available on Finder
Have you considered Greenlight?
Teach your child to spend, save and invest all in one app. Get 5+ financial literacy tools, including chores and allowances. All with powerful parental controls to decide where your child can spend and how much. Includes up to 5% savings rewards. Free one-month trial.
- Free 30-day trial, then start at $4.99/month
- Earn up to 5% on savings and 1% cashback
- Optional investing tools
Ask a question using your email below.Ask a question
You are about to post a question on finder.com:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked