Huntington Bank home equity review
This lender offers reduced-cost home equity loans and HELOCs, but it’s only available in select states.
Huntington Bank offers no application fee home equity loans and HELOCs with rate discounts, but it’s only available in select states, and its customer marks aren’t the greatest.
|Loan products offered||Home equity loan, HELOC|
|Minimum credit score||Home equity loans and HELOCs: Varies by borrower, but ideally in the high 600s|
|APR range||Home equity: 6.22% to 7.78 APR|
HELOC: 3.44% to 11.92% APR
|Repayment terms||Home equity: 5, 10, 15 or 20 years|
HELOC: 30-year term (10-year draw and 20-year repayment period)
|Loan limits||Home equity: $10,000 to $750,000|
HELOC: $10,000 to $750,000
|State availability||Only available in: FL, IL, IN, KY, MI, NJ, OH, PA, WV|
Pros and cons of Huntington Bank
- No-fee HELOCs. Huntington Bank doesn’t charge any fees to set up a HELOC product, regardless of the amount. And as of May 15, 2021, the bank’s annual HELOC fee of $60 has been waived for the length of the draw period.
- Rate discounts available. Huntington Bank offers draw discounts on its HELOCs. If you withdraw 10K, 25K or 40K at closing, you get a rate discount for the life of the line. The bank also offers a relationship discount if you maintain a minimum balance of $25,000 in a Huntington bank checking or savings account.
- HELOCs can be converted to a fixed rate. While HELOCs are adjustable-rate loans, Huntington Bank allows you to convert your variable line HELOC to a fixed rate. A $75 fee is charged for each transaction converting a variable rate to a fixed rate in KY, MI, OH and PA.
- Negative online reviews. Hundreds of customers have left negative reviews online and filed complaints on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website concerning billing errors, excessively long hold times on deposited funds and paid-off liens not being released in a timely manner.
- Limited state availability. Huntington Bank only offers home equity products in a limited number of states.
- Home equity rates are high. Huntington Bank’s home equity lines start at 6.09% for a five-year term, which is relatively high compared to other lenders’ rates for similar products.
What types of fees does Huntington Bank charge?
You can expect the following fees from Huntington Bank.
- HELOCs. Huntington Bank doesn’t charge any fees to establish a HELOC, and as of May 15, 2021, Huntington Bank is waiving the $60 annual fee on its HELOCs for the entire length of the draw period, which is 10 years.
- Home equity loan. The origination fee for setting up a fixed-rate home equity loan is $170.
Huntington Bank requirements
To find out if you’re eligible for a Huntington Bank home loan, visit the company’s website. Basic eligibility for a mortgage with the company includes:
- Two years’ history of employment.
- A FICO credit score in the high 600s.
- No history of bankruptcy in the past two years.
Be prepared to provide the following documents with your loan application:
- State-issued ID
- Social Security number
- Employment history for the past two years
- Two most recent pay stubs
- Most recent two years’ W-2s
- Last two years’ residence history and landlord information if applicable
- Two most recent bank statements
- Last two years’ profit and loss (P&L) statements and balance sheets for self-employed persons
How to apply for a home equity loan with Huntington Bank
Here are the steps to get the ball rolling on a home equity loan or HELOC at Huntington Bank. If you have any questions, call the bank’s mortgage line at 866-917-4351.
- Go to the Huntington Bank website and navigate to the Personal tab, then select Borrowing and choose either Home Equity Loan or Home Equity Lines of Credit.
- Hit the Get Started button.
- Fill out the form to request a home equity rate quote. Enter your name and contact information, property information, coborrower information if any, loan type requested and the amount you want to borrow.
- Choose if you want to consent to a credit check.
- Submit the form and wait to be contacted by a loan officer about the next steps.
According to the website, a loan officer will contact you within 24 hours on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET and Saturdays 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. ET. If you have questions after submitting the form, call 866-917-4351 or email Internet.Lending@Huntington.com.
What types of home equity products does Huntington Bank offer?
Huntington Bank offers the following types of home equity products.
- Home equity loan. The Huntington Bank home equity loan is a fixed-rate installment loan with loan limits ranging from $10,000 to $750,000. As of May 2021, advertised rates are 6.22% to 7.78% APR and loan terms are available for 5, 10, 15 or 20 years.
- HELOC (Home Equity Line of Credit). A no-closing-cost, adjustable-rate revolving line of credit with loan limits ranging from $10,000 to $750,000. Interest rates start at 3.44% for HELOCs of $150,000 and up as of May 2021.
Other mortgage products offered by Huntington Bank
Huntington Bank also offers these types of mortgages:
- Government-backed loans. Huntington Bank offers FHA, VA and USDA loans, which are ideal for first-time homebuyers with limited down payment funds.
- Jumbo. A purchase or refinance loan with loan limits up to $2.5 million and cash-out options up to $750,000.
- Mortgage refinance. Use to replace your current mortgage with a new one with better terms. Lower your interest rate, remove private mortgage insurance or get cash out for other needs.
How Huntington Bank’s home equity products compare to other lenders
Compared to other lenders, Huntington Bank offers a solid range of home equity products along with a wide variety of government-backed and speciality loans for a variety of circumstances. While it offers competitive rates and discounts on its HELOC products, its starting rates for home equity loans are higher than other lenders we’ve compared.
Compare home equity loan and HELOC optionsCompare these lenders and lender marketplaces by the type of home equity product you're searching for, state availability and minimum credit score. Select See rates to provide the company with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
Huntington Bank reviews and complaints
As of May 2021, Huntington Bank has a 3.3 out of 5 rating on Wallethub from 378 reviewers and a 1.22 out of 5 customer rating on the BBB website from 144 customers. Huntington Bank has been accredited with the BBB since 1921 and has an A+ business rating, but 543 customers have filed complaints against the bank in the past three years.
Online reviews paint a mixed picture. While many report positive experiences with the bank’s customer service team, others complain of delayed loan applications and poor service. One HELOC customer mentioned receiving good service and rates during the application process but complained it was difficult to make payments online due to outdated systems and processes.
In following this up, we spoke with a lending officer at the bank who assured us that the bank has online payments available and there are no limits on how much or how quickly you can pay back on your HELOC.
If you’re after a low-cost HELOC with rate discounts and no annual fee, Huntington Bank may be a good option. But its interest rates on home equity loans are significantly higher than other lenders we’ve looked at, and it doesn’t get top marks on customer service. If you’re looking for a home equity loan with lower rates, we recommend comparing more home equity lenders to find the right one for you.