Perks include a 50,000 miles signup bonus and 1x HawaiianMiles on everything you purchase.
- Get this card if… you’re a frequent Hawaiian Airlines flyer.
- Pick something else if…you’re an occasional traveler.
- Recommended good to excellent credit score of 680 to 850.
|Product Name||Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite Mastercard®|
|Intro APR for Balance Transfer||0% Intro APR for first 15 billing cycles (with whichever is greater, $5 or 3% balance transfer fee)|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||17.24%, 21.24% or 26.24% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||17.24%, 21.24% or 26.24% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.49% variable|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 23 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (MC)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|0% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Fair (660-699)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Late Payment Fee||$37|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater|
|Rewards Program||Barclaycard Rewards|
|Bonus Points on Sign-up||50,000|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (VISA/MC)||2|
What Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard has to offer
The Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard may be the right choice for a niche flyer. It’s most helpful, of course, if you fly to and from Hawaii often. But there are other things to consider if you’re thinking about picking up the card.
The signup bonus is relatively easy to obtain: just spend $1,000 within the first 90 days and you’ll earn 50,000 HawaiianMiles. That’s almost enough for a round-trip flight between North America and Hawaii in the Coach SuperSaver fare class.
Other perks are most helpful if you’re a Hawaiian Airlines regular:
- More miles. You’ll earn 2x miles for your purchases with the carrier (1x miles on everything else).
- Bring more stuff. You can check your first bag free on each Hawaiian Airlines flight. It’s a nice touch, though you’ll wish you also got priority boarding — like with the AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard.
- Fly with a buddy. Every year you keep your card, you’ll get $100 off a companion ticket. It’s useful if you fly with Hawaiian Airlines every year — not so much if you fly once in a blue moon.
There are other solid perks, like no foreign transaction fees and a 5,000-mile bonus each year you spend $10,000 or more on your card. But with an $89 p.a. annual fee, the card may not be the right fit for casual flyers. If you want to save up for an occasional flight, consider a card like the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard.
How to make the annual fee worth it
There are two one-time bonuses that make the $89 p.a. annual fee worth paying. If you earn the signup bonus of 50,000 HawaiianMiles, the card pays for itself. And for one flight, you’ll get 50% off when you bring a companion. For a $500 roundtrip flight, that’s savings of around $250.
Long-term, the card is worth keeping if you take someone on a trip every year: The $100 companion-ticket discount more than covers the annual fee.
HawaiianMiles are worth around 1.2 cents apiece. If you can earn around 7,500 miles from your card every year, your bonus miles will outweigh your annual fee.
- Signup bonus: 50,000 miles. When you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days, you’ll earn 50,000 bonus miles.
- Earn miles on all purchases, and more on Hawaiian Airlines purchases. You’ll earn 1x HawaiianMiles on everything you buy. On eligible Hawaiian Airlines purchases, you’ll earn 2x miles.
- Annual mile bonus. Each year you spend $10,000 or more by your account anniversary, you’ll receive 5,000 bonus miles.
- Hawaiian Airlines perks.
- First checked bag free.
- $100 off a companion ticket each account anniversary.
- One-time 50% companion discount on a round-trip coach flight between Hawaii and North America (does not renew annually).
You’ll also like …
- No foreign transaction fees. Use your card abroad without incurring fees.
- ShareMiles. HawaiianMiles members can transfer miles to your account.
- World Elite Travel Services. Get access to exclusive offers and experiences from Mastercard.
- Trip cancellation insurance. You’ll be reimbursed if your trip is canceled for unexpected reasons.
- Shopping benefits. Enjoy extended warranties, price protection and more.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. You’ll pay $89 p.a. each year to maintain your card. The fee isn’t waived for the first year.
- Potentially high APR. Depending on your credit, you could have a purchase APR as high as 17.24%, 21.24% or 26.24% variable.
- Higher APR for cash advances. Cash advances come with a 26.49% variable APR.
- Other fees. The card has no foreign transaction fees, but you’ll pay fees for balance transfers and cash advances.
- Penalty fees. Late and returned payments can hurt: You’ll pay up to $37.00.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident. Residents of Puerto Rico and US territories are not eligible.
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Information you’ll need
- Full name and contact information
- Residential status
- Annual income and employment information
- Social Security number, date of birth and mother’s maiden name
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
How to apply for the Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard
1. Go to the Barclaycard Hawaiian Airlines Mastercard website and click Apply Now.
2. Complete the application with details like your name, contact information, employment information and Social Security number. Then click Apply to submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, you’ll receive an immediate decision on your application. In rare cases, you may need to wait a few days to a few weeks until your application is manually approved.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your bill online at the Barclaycard website, where you can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance to avoid paying interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $37. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact Barclaycard customer service at 866-928-8598.
The Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard is a good choice for Hawaiian Airlines regulars. If you’re a casual flyer, however, you might get more out of a general travel card.