Hartville pet insurance review 2020
Discover a plan that works in your budget without sacrificing customer experience.
- Get a quote if you value top-rated customer service.
- Pick something else if you need quick reimbursements for vet bills.
What pet insurance coverage does Hartville offer?
Hartville covers most areas that you’d find with other companies, but also includes a few situations not covered elsewhere.
- X-rays, ultrasounds and lab tests. When your vet needs a deeper examination than the physical office visit, your extra costs for testing are covered.
- Accidental injuries or illnesses. Whether your pet got hurt by accident or is facing an unpreventable illness, their vet visits are eligible for coverage.
- Behavioral problems. Get refunded for treatment costs when your pup’s or cat’s problem is related to anxiety or obsessive behavior disorders.
- Dental disease. If your pet develops gum disease or another dental problem, Hartville has you covered, unlike some pet policies that exclude this type of illness.
- Prescription medicine. Provide your half-pint housemate with the meds needed to help them feel better.
- Hospitalization and emergency care. Use this policy as backup if your furry companion needs costly in-hospital care.
- Surgery. Let your insurance pick up the tab for both in-hospital and noninvasive procedures.
- Chemotherapy. Give your four-legged buddy the proper treatment for cancer without worrying about the expense.
- Alternative or holistic care. Your plan allows reimbursement for alternative treatments like stem cell therapy and acupuncture.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Hartville offer?
This pet insurer pares its add-ons down to a couple helpful options:
- Accident only. If you want insurance for your pet’s most dire emergencies, this plan covers injuries and illnesses caused by accident. That includes your fur-baby eating something they shouldn’t or car accident injuries.
- Routine care. Hartville gives you this option as an add-on to its accident and illness policy. Routine care covers preventive tests, vaccines, dental cleaning and preventive medicine for your pet.
How much is Hartville pet insurance?
Hartville’s monthly prices range from $13 to $25 for cats and $25 to $45 for dogs, running at or slightly less than the standard for pet insurance.
With other pet insurance companies, you’d expect monthly payments around $20 for cats or $40 for dogs.
Hartville pet insurance quotes
|Breed||Age||Gender||Deductible||Reimbursement||Maximum benefit||Monthly rate|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||$500||70%||$5,000||$13.28|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||$250||90%||$10,000||$26.10|
|Dog||Mixed breed – medium size||2 years||Female||$500||70%||$5,000||$24.57|
|Dog||Mixed breed – medium size||2 years||Female||$250||90%||$10,000||$47.41|
Routine or accident-only coverage
You can add routine care coverage to your policy or buy accident-only pet insurance for around $10 per month. That cost is low for both types of coverage.
Which discounts can I get?
Hartville shaves 10% off your first pet’s premium for every other pet you enroll.
Pros and cons of Hartville pet insurance
- Cheap coverage. Hartville’s prices ring in below what you’d expect for pet insurance, especially for its accident-only and routine care policies.
- Top-rated customer service. Hartville and the companies that back it hold high customer review ratings and business scores. These high ratings overall aren’t common for insurance companies.
- Flexible payment plans. You can choose monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual billing, whichever works best for your budget.
- Covers dental diseases and symptom-free pre-existing conditions. Not every pet insurance company offers coverage for these medical problems.
- Long waits to process claims. Hartville says that claims take an average 14 to 16 days for processing. That leaves you shouldering vet bills out of pocket for over two weeks, not the fastest reimbursements we’ve seen.
- 15-day waiting period. While not abnormally long, most waiting periods are shorter for accidents than illnesses. With Hartville, you’ll have to wait the full two weeks for any coverage you buy.
Hartville pet insurance reviews and complaints
Hartville sees high customer reviews on reputable sites like Trustpilot. The company scored an overall 4.6 out of 5 from nearly 200 customer reviews on Trustpilot.
In addition, Hartville is backed by the United States Fire Insurance Company, which holds a 0.39 score on the 2019 National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index. This score shows much fewer complaints than normal for the company’s size.
This index scores businesses based on the number of complaints they receive compared to their business size. A score of 1.00 is considered the national standard.
Last, Crum & Forster, the company that manages and administers the policies, holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. Crum & Forster has received a handful of poor reviews and complaints, involving denied claims and processing the wrong treatment or prescription codes.
However, the rationale for some denied claims included that the company doesn’t cover expenses above the usual and customary treatment costs. Customers can see this reasoning as subjective and disagree with the claim denial.
How do I sign up?
Fetch a quick quote online to get an idea of what your Hartville policy would look like. Then, you can pay and start your policy from there.
- From the homepage, click Get a Quote.
- Enter basic details like your pet’s name and your ZIP code. Continue to give more details on the next page.
- Fill in additional information about your pet and click View Coverage.
- Edit your plan’s deductible, reimbursement rate and limit to fit your budget. Your quote will update automatically. You can also switch to the accident-only plan at this point.
- If you agree with your quote, tap Select Complete Coverage to buy the policy.
- Review your information and Continue to Checkout.
- Enter your payment method and billing address. Tap Complete Enrollment.
What’s not covered?
Make sure you understand your policy’s comprehensive list of exclusions before buying. Examples of conditions not included in your coverage:
- Pre-existing conditions, unless your pet is symptom-free for 180 days and it’s not related to the knee or ligaments
- Routine care, unless you add it to your policy
- Cosmetic procedures
- Boarding or grooming services
- Accidents or injuries related to bathing or grooming
- Pet food, supplements or herbs, even if your vet recommends it
- Training, training devices, toys or other nonmedical pet supplies
- Breeding or pregnancy
- Experimental treatments
- Illnesses or injuries caused by your neglect or intentional harm
- Avian flu
- Conditions caused by war or governmental orders
- Funeral services
Alternatives to Hartville pet insurance
Frequently asked questions about Hartville pet insurance
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Hartville offers a comprehensive plan for pets with bare-minimum coverage to all-inclusive policy options with routine care included. Its wide options and high customer service ratings make this company a solid choice for pet insurance. Plus, if your pet had a previous injury or illness that’s healed now, you can get protection for that condition in some cases.
The main downside is the long wait you’ll have between filing a claim and getting reimbursed. As long as this downside isn’t an issue for you, get a quote to see if this policy fits your needs. You can also get more pet insurance quotes to compare and find the best policy for you.