Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare Great Dane pet insurance
Heightened coverage can keep the "Apollo of Dogs" in tip-top shape.
Marked by a soft personality, elegant movements and quiet watchfulness, Great Danes make loyal friends. But they need loyal attention to vet care so they can live their best life. Your Dane may bring you towering vet bills for urgent conditions like bloating or an enlarged heart. Given their many health issues, getting pet insurance for a Dane can be worth your while in the long run.
How do I compare pet insurance for my Great Dane?
Although most owners see their dogs as gentle giants, the Dane’s short lifespan, huge size and numerous health problems can make insurance costs add up.
- Lifespan. Great Danes grace humans with their lives for a short 7 to 10 years. You can expect higher premiums the closer your Dane gets to age 7.
- Weight. These gentle giants can weigh a hefty 110 to 180 pounds, an enormous size that will likely drive up insurance costs.
- Temperament. Although Danes gift their owners a mild temperament, they can get protective of their family around strangers. Their watchdog attitude and sheer size could lead them to injure people under some circumstances.
- Health problems. This breed does come with a range of possible health problems, including life-threatening conditions like bloating and cancer. Consider plenty of coverage to help you care for your Dane.
- Exercise. Despite their enormous size, Danes need a similar amount of exercise as other dogs. A long daily walk or playtime between 30 to 60 minutes can keep your Dane’s energy level at bay.
What’s the best pet insurance for a Great Dane?
Because Great Danes face a number of serious and ongoing illnesses, take this factor into consideration when deciding coverage. A comprehensive policy may be the best fit for a Great Dane, including coverage for:
- Accident and illness. Your Dane may suffer from a variety of illnesses, making accident and illness coverage more useful than a basic policy. Consider policies with short waiting periods and coverage for curable pre-existing conditions if your dog suffers from health issues that can heal over time.
- Wellness care. This breed may need regular checkups to stay in tip-top shape and head off health issues. Consider coverage for routine services if you’ll use many of the benefits provided.
- Pet liability. Some homeowners or renters insurance policies won’t cover Great Danes if they injure other people at your home. To get this coverage, look for pet insurance that offers this as an add-on or includes it in your policy.
Compare Great Dane insurance
How much will it cost to insure my Great Dane?
The common cost for a Great Dane’s pet insurance can range between $40 and $60 per month, according to Embrace Pet Insurance. Given this dog’s great size and health problems, that cost stays at or slightly above the standard cost of $40 a month for dog insurance. Your total premium may cost more if you add wellness coverage and other options.
What common health issues do Great Danes get?
Great Danes are prone to a number of serious ailments because of their genetics. But fear not, your gorgeous Dane can lead a happy and healthy life, especially with the right vet care. Common health issues for Great Danes include:
- Bloat — Danes suffer from this life-threatening twisting of the stomach more than most other breeds.
- Bone cancer — Cancer can rack up the vet bills when trying to save your beloved dog’s life.
- Enlarged heart — Many large dogs suffer from a heart enlargement that can be managed if caught.
- Hip dysplasia — This joint condition is caused by the hip not properly fitting into its joint.
- Hypertrophic osteodystrophy — This bone disease happens in large breeds as their bones grow quickly during puppyhood.
- Skin conditions — Danes may lick their legs until it causes a rash or other skin problems.
How much does treatment cost?
Treatment for your Dane’s potential health problems can range into the thousands, possibly making pet insurance a worthwhile investment. Without it, you might pay these costs out of pocket:
|Health condition||Expected cost|
|Gastropexy, preventive bloating surgery||$400|
|Bloating||$1,500 to $4,500|
|Cardiomyopathy, or enlarged heart||$500 to $1,200|
|Hip dysplasia||$1,700 to $5,000|
Fun facts about your Great Dane
- Danes have a calm, gentle personality but a streak of protective aggression toward strangers. They may take time to get used to other dogs unless the dogs grow up together.
- Great Danes aren’t Danish — they were bred in Germany for hunting and protection.
- The largest dog was a Dane named Zeus that measured 44 inches tall, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
- Scooby-Doo is a Great Dane loved by many a cartoon-watching kid.
Great Danes offer their dependable watchfulness as a reward for your attention to their care. Factors like protective behavior, large size and potential for health issues can mean higher insurance costs. But you can find the best deal on pet insurance among multiple providers with wide coverage.
Frequently asked questions about Great Danes
More guides on Finder
Wagmo pet insurance review Feb 2021
Get pet insurance that reimburses 100% of your vet bills or a separate wellness plan.
Pawp pet insurance alternative review Feb 2021
Get $3K in rainy-day funds for up to six of your lovable woofs and meows.
Where to buy pet shampoo online
Stock up on shampoo and conditioner supplies for your best pal without leaving the house thanks to one of these online retailers.
Ultimate pet care guide for pet owners
100+ tips from pet experts for pet owners
5 ways to keep your pet healthy and happy during the holidays
Prepare your pet for the festive season up ahead, with food deliveries, cute toys and some helpful tips for keeping your fur ball healthy.
How much does pet insurance cost for cats?
Discover insurance costs for your cat’s specific breed, based on the 40 breeds we analyzed.
Compare pet shipping services
Get your furry companion from Point A to Point B safely and without the stress.
Doggo pet insurance review Feb 2021
With round-the-clock support, customer experience and policy perks are this company’s claim to fame.
How to keep your pet healthy
Know the basics of pet healthcare, then tailor your routine to your furry friend’s needs.
How to spay or neuter your pet
Learn this procedure’s costs, benefits and post-operative care so you know what to expect for your pet.
Ask an Expert